Running with hearing aids.

nickysunflower

Reaction score
I RITE Oticon aids. The thin tube is digging into the top of my ears. They also fall out my ears. My audi is ordering a power mold with a lock for the right since it never stays in. I was wondering if I should go back to BTE with molds? They are a bit bigger, and heavier to not fall out. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Nicky

I RITE Oticon aids. The thin tube is digging into the top of my ears. They also fall out my ears. My audi is ordering a power mold with a lock for the right since it never stays in. I was wondering if I should go back to BTE with molds? They are a bit bigger, and heavier to not fall out. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Nicky

Is it not possible to run without hearing aids?

Well, if you do want to run with hearing aids, perhaps you could use tight sweat bands to keep them from flying off?

Because of how you would have to place them, I don't think you would win any fashion statements, :) but it would probably keep them on your ears. And as long as your audi programmed your HAs not to whistle, you won't get feedback even if the sweat bands go over the HAs mics.

There are also companies that make what could be described as a sleave or glove for the HA to protect the aid from sweat. At least one company offers the option of cords to prevent you from loosing he HAs.

The cords will just prevent you from loosing the HAs though, I don't think they will actually keep them on your ears.

Here's one example:
Hearing Aid Safety Device to Cover, Protect, & Prevent Loss of Hearing Aids!

Sorry. Try to use your eyes and be aware of your surrounding around you. I dont wear my HA when i run.

You know I can understand why you would want to wear your HAs while working out.

When I had a membership in a gym, I didn't but that was because I knew my sweat would destroy my HAs and I had to make them last for budget reasons.

My lipreading wasn't good enough to talk with the other folks in the gym when I wasn't wearing my HAs, and quite frankly I thought that sucked. But I thought breaking my aids would suck more so I left them off.

Hope you find a good solution that works for you!

You know I can understand why you would want to wear your HAs while working out.

When I had a membership in a gym, I didn't but that was because I knew my sweat would destroy my HAs and I had to make them last for budget reasons.

My lipreading wasn't good enough to talk with the other folks in the gym when I wasn't wearing my HAs, and quite frankly I thought that sucked. But I thought breaking my aids would suck more so I left them off.

Hope you find a good solution that works for you!

you need to dehumidify it on daily basis.

you need to dehumidify it on daily basis.

I do. But when I "work out" I either don't wear my HAs or I wear HA "condoms'" ;)

If I'm going to sweat a lot though, I won't wear them even with the HA "condoms."

My HAs have to last a long time!

I do try to do that. I run trail in the country. I will try covers to keep them dry, and attached to my shirt. That way when the fall out without me knowing I wont lose them. I just want them to stay in my ears, and not hurt. Oh well I guess those days are gone.

I do try to do that. I run trail in the country. I will try covers to keep them dry, and attached to my shirt. That way when the fall out without me knowing I wont lose them. I just want them to stay in my ears, and not hurt. Oh well I guess those days are gone.

I know right away when mine come out... because things become blissfully quiet. but you should try that... it may help.

You could also try using a sweatband or a bandana.

It's not my breathing I want to hear. It is the wildlife, people, and hunters that I really want to hear. The joy of country life. Peoplelove shooting here even where they shouldn' like the stat park. I guess if I cannot fix the problem I will run without them, and run with a buddy who hears .

serious runner since 2002-03 here. I used to have large BTE's and had the same issues back then.

Someone suggested to use a sweatband or bandana, that's your cheap fix right there. Beanies and hats also work, and clips on them but obviously they're geared for colder weather. custom velcro works wonders.

I understand how boring or dangerous it can get without having them on. That's the caveat to running deaf. So stick to places that are defined or indoors. Otherwise if you can't handle it don't run outdoors and stick to a gym and/or track instead.

It's not my breathing I want to hear. It is the wildlife, people, and hunters that I really want to hear. The joy of country life. Peoplelove shooting here even where they shouldn' like the stat park. I guess if I cannot fix the problem I will run without them, and run with a buddy who hears .

There are many deaf runners who do not rely on sounds but sight to be aware of environmental dangers. There are precautions you can take such as run on the side of the road facing the way the cars will come to you not behind you. It sounds like you're insecure about being independent from your aids. Try to go without them and practice using your eyes for information.

Back