RIP Thomas Kindade - Famous painter!

WhiteWolves64

Reaction score
Calif. artist Thomas Kinkade dies at age 54 - Yahoo! News

Calif. artist Thomas Kinkade dies at age 54
By JOHN S. MARSHALL | Associated Press – 22 mins ago

FILE - In this Sept. 15, 2006 file …
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California artist Thomas Kinkade, whose brushwork paintings of idyllic landscapes, cottages and churches were big sellers for dealers across the country, died Friday, a family spokesman said.
Kinkade, 54, died at his home in Los Gatos in the San Francisco Bay Area of what appeared to be natural causes, David Satterfield said.
Kinkade's sentimental paintings, with their scenes of cottages, country gardens and churches in dewy morning light, were beloved by middlebrow America but reviled by the art establishment.
The paintings generally depict tranquil scenes with lush landscaping and streams running nearby. Many contain images from Bible passages.
Kinkade, a self-described devout Christian, claimed to be the nation's most collected living artist. His paintings and spin-off products were said to fetch some $100 million a year in sales, and to be in 10 million homes in the United States.
"I'm a warrior for light," he told the San Jose Mercury News in 2002, in reference to his technical skills but also the medieval practice of using light to symbolize the divine. "With whatever talent and resources I have, I'm trying to bring light to penetrate the darkness many people feel."
Before Kinkade's Media Arts Group went private in the middle of the past decade, the company took in $32 million per quarter from 4,500 dealers across the country 10 years ago, according to the Mercury News. The cost of his paintings range from hundreds of dollars to more than $10,000.

I can't believe! I have two certified pictures with frame. it's expensive.

Wow, he died so young!

We have several years' worth of his ceramic Christmas village pieces from my MIL. (We would get one each year.) They look cute on our fireplace mantel at Christmas time. They each have a light inside.

Attachments

• Village2011a.jpg
    Village2011a.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Village2011b.jpg
    Village2011b.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Village2011c.jpg
    Village2011c.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Village2011d.jpg
    Village2011d.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Seen a lot of his paintings and they are very beautiful. He was a superb talented artist.

never heard of him...never been into art..indeed he died too young...saw some of his paintings on google..quite impressive!

I have always loved Kinkade's work. It's a shame he died so young. :( Especially since so many snobs in the art world looked down on him. Hopefully he knew that their opinion didn't matter and he had a special gift. No artist has consistently evoked the kind of emotion from me as he has with his works, except Norman Rockwell.

I like some of his paintings, but I haven't purchased it. My sister has one. RIP, Kindade. Since he lived in SF area, it was quite an challenge for him to paint realistic paintings in SF despite abstract, post impressionism, and surrealism style remain force in art community in SF areas.

Nice paintings yeah but not like his ideals. Sure he was a Christian but he said he hated all other artists and refuse to be in the art community. This caused many artists hate him. Some say it is his style. Others more political.

I happened to be an artist myself and I think I understand why many do not like him and why he does not like them. I never sided with Thomas Kinkade because of his political stance.. It is not about Conservatives vs. Liberal. It is more about ideals. He said bad things like he said all other artists sucks and he was only one best in world. Baloney. There are many other great artists in his time and before and more to come in future. We all think we are the best. Not THE best. The objective words I said we are... the best.

Maybe his judgement caught up? I can not say that. It is not my place to judge. Matthew 7:1. If you judge, you will be judged. Thomas forgot that verse!

I have always loved Kinkade's work. It's a shame he died so young. :( Especially since so many snobs in the art world looked down on him. Hopefully he knew that their opinion didn't matter and he had a special gift. No artist has consistently evoked the kind of emotion from me as he has with his works, except Norman Rockwell.

Lily, please read my previous post. You will come to understand why I said that. It was his egoism that caught up to him. He judged others first. Wrong.

Seems he was an alcoholic, said to say....(read it in the news, which his brother noted)....he fought the bottle battle and lost, time and time again...so RIP.

Well, the value of my FIL's two Kincaid paintings just went up.

RIP.

As they say when a famous painter or artist passed away, their art value are amazing! It will go right into hundreds of thousands of dollars or even more! Millions! However, Thomas had many art work copied so you can't get those worth more. Treasure seekers will want originals only!

What Thomas did to art like McDonalds are to burgers. I prefer to keep my originals original, not mass produced unless commerical art departments or businesses want me to do art for their logos, product design, or ads, that is a whole another story.

Back