Reclaiming the term "hearing impaired"

I also consider dhh an identity. Wouldn't you want to be POSITIVE about your identity?
Hearing impaired seems to be a label based on seeing lack of hearing as an inability, or as something that you cannot function without at ALL.

In the bold, you already answered your own question. If that is how you feel , then there is nothing wrong with using the term as your description of yourself.

I was going to say it but you already explained, anyway. Yeah, you can call yourself whatever you want to use.

and why not just use HOH or hard of hearing?

Or d/Deaf. If the word of hearing impaired is just a word to described for lack of hearing and to let the Society think that you are not able to function in the hearing world. It is bad enough that the workplaces and the mainstream schools don't provide accommodations that we need to get around hearing people. We need special devices to help us know where and what is going on. Hearing people think that we are helpless and probably think we are dumb. So we don't like using the word "hearing impaired" like as example for driving while being drunk and the police would say that this is drunk impaired or driving impaired. I am against drunk driving but to put the word for impaired. I don't know if that is good thing or bad thing. For the disability people, no one want to use the word "impaired" which mean we can not do anything at all. That is not true at all. We can do and functioned with our disabilities. It help us deal with our disabilities when we get accommodations better.

I also consider dhh an identity. Wouldn't you want to be POSITIVE about your identity?
Hearing impaired seems to be a label based on seeing lack of hearing as an inability, or as something that you cannot function without at ALL.

No, it doesn't mean you can't function at all...you assume that. It simply means you can't hear - nothing more, nothing less. It's a medical term, not a personal assault...just a medical term. I'm learning disabled - does that mean I'm not capable of learning? I have a B.A. and M.Ed. so clearly that's not true. What are doctors supposed to do...come up with politically correct medical terms now so as not to offend people not capable of realizing what a medical term is?

Laura

deafdyke
I have been wondering why you never use the "edit" button?In just this thread you posted at 9:11, 9:11 and 9:15 that all seemed be a continuation of what your previous post had in it. In fact, the second one at 9:11 even starts out with and (with a small a) like it is a continuation of the last sentence in the first 9:11 post.

deafdyke
I have been wondering why you never use the "edit" button?In just this thread you posted at 9:11, 9:11 and 9:15 that all seemed be a continuation of what your previous post had in it. In fact, the second one at 9:11 even starts out with and (with a small a) like it is a continuation of the last sentence in the first 9:11 post.

Maybe she's post-impaired? :giggle: j/k

One of the problems I see with "hearing impaired" on a larger level is, that it was meant to be a "PC" term - "nice way" of saying something that hearing people and the medical establishment actually think is a problem. Playing with "nice-ities" without actually looking at broader sociological implications is a way for a majority group to retain control. That mindset perpetuates the idea of d/Deaf as disabled, lacking, lesser than. This also perpetuates the disregard of sign language as valuable language in deaf communities and in general.
That said, no issue with people choosing what to call themselves as individuals.
But I think there are larger group dynamics around terms and to think that "hearing impaired" is "just a term", negates social and political ramifications.

I also have dyscalculia and various processing and motor issues. My LD happens to be something I have - but not something I am.

perhaps women should reclaim negative terms used on them C**** which is the lowest form of insult...start there...being called epileptic rather than someone with epilepsy ...what do you want people to say,hearing inpaired is descriptive of the person next to you it is not the person next to you..........somethings are downright insult as in female bits...in the big picture of life being hearing impaired to me is not an issue

perhaps women should reclaim negative terms used on them C**** which is the lowest form of insult...start there...being called epileptic rather than someone with epilepsy ...what do you want people to say,hearing inpaired is descriptive of the person next to you it is not the person next to you..........somethings are downright insult as in female bits...in the big picture of life being hearing impaired to me is not an issue

Exactly caz. Impair just means something that doesnt work, so a hearing impairment is just your ears, not your whole body, not a mental impairment. If the windshield wipers on my car don't work it's not going to make my car screech to a halt and not function. You are more than your ears, and I for one don't identify myself by my ears.

It works better for me to stay out of the "impaired" description. I do not embrace it. For me life is not about embracing the obstacles it is about doing what I want to do anyway. If I let the obstacles define who I am no hell no. Of course facts are facts and all of that but hey it is a strategic situation scrambling through life. I look for inspiration wherever I can find it. It is how I am mentally and spiritually that makes it all happen or not happen.
Challenged? Same meaning but describes a different psychology all together. If it is not useful psychology for being able to do things then it is up to me to spot it and make changes so it is.

Last edited:
One of the problems I see with "hearing impaired" on a larger level is, that it was meant to be a "PC" term - "nice way" of saying something that hearing people and the medical establishment actually think is a problem. Playing with "nice-ities" without actually looking at broader sociological implications is a way for a majority group to retain control. That mindset perpetuates the idea of d/Deaf as disabled, lacking, lesser than. This also perpetuates the disregard of sign language as valuable language in deaf communities and in general.
That said, no issue with people choosing what to call themselves as individuals.
But I think there are larger group dynamics around terms and to think that "hearing impaired" is "just a term", negates social and political ramifications.

I also have dyscalculia and various processing and motor issues. My LD happens to be something I have - but not something I am.

Exactly. This 100%. I don't consider it a negative thing, or an in/disability. The term impaired implies LESSER then. That's really what I have against that term.....it implies lesser then/unable. Look up the definition of impaired.

I got more of those "I am sorrys" and walking away when I identified myself as hearing impaired than I did when I applied myself as Deaf. It is just that when people hear or read "impaired" it is like subconsciously they take it literally and it reflects in their behavior towards people with the impairments.

I get more "I am sorrys" when I mentioned that I'm deaf than I get with "hearing impaired." But it made no difference because those "I am sorry" people don't know how to deal with us. I only mention "I am deaf" or "I am hearing impaired" via phone call or email. If I'm dealing with face to face people, I would just let them figure out that I cannot hear them (i.e. I take out paper/pen and communicate with them). I get less "I am sorrys" that way.

When I say I'm "deaf" to hearing people I get a bunch of "you don't look deaf" and "why do you speak so well", (this one pisses me off the most) "me too...I've had a cold for 3 days and I can't hear a thing", or "you seem to get by just fine".

I don't think I am deaf enough to use deaf since I can hear quite a bit (though it makes no sense) (and by quite a bit I mean sometimes I know when someone is speaking near me).

If I say, "I read lips" people instantly know a whole bunch of things and usually turn to face me and it is all cool. Doesn't work well on the telephone though.

If I say, " I can't hear fershit " they usually speak a little louder. I try not to impress women with that line.

If I say "Thank you for letting me see your breasts" when they are overexposed at the checkout counter she is usually not as appreciative as I am no matter how nicely I say it.

Some things you just can't say and have it fly right." I am hearing impaired". Huh? That just says the wrong thing.

Last edited:
My reasons why I dont want to be associated with this term..

im·paired
[im-paird] Show IPA

adjective
weakened, diminished, or damaged: impaired hearing; to rebuild an impaired bridge.

functioning poorly or inadequately: Consumption of alcohol results in an impaired driver.

deficient or incompetent (usually preceded by an adverb or noun): morally impaired; sports-impaired.

Non of that describes me so nobody is permitted to call me hearing impaired.

in your wildest dreams do you really go round saying you cochlea impaired.80%not have a clue what you talking about 15% think it dick related.. for your sake i hope you get on well with 5%..you making big thing of symatics and i would imagine irritate deaf and hearing alike

in your wildest dreams do you really go round saying you cochlea impaired.80%not have a clue what you talking about 15% think it dick related.. for your sake i hope you get on well with 5%..you making big thing of symatics and i would imagine irritate deaf and hearing alike

I am sorry but I dont understand what you are saying. Are you saying that I am a dick?

I get more "I am sorrys" when I mentioned that I'm deaf than I get with "hearing impaired." But it made no difference because those "I am sorry" people don't know how to deal with us. I only mention "I am deaf" or "I am hearing impaired" via phone call or email. If I'm dealing with face to face people, I would just let them figure out that I cannot hear them (i.e. I take out paper/pen and communicate with them). I get less "I am sorrys" that way.

Over the phone a sorry can mean, I didn't know. In person a sorry can mean either, I didn't know or I'm sorry that happened to you.

Since you are hearing impaired, you know how important hearing is to a hearing person so both answers should make sense.

The correct response is: It's OK.

This attempts to put the person you are talking to at ease.

Back