Queen Isabella of Spain --- Gross.

What makes me wonder if the females who hardly ever took baths (like Queen Isabella), how could they control the "odor" that menstrual periods has caused? To get rid of the menstrual odor, they have to keep themselves clean. I bet the people back then were probably holding their noses in secret from the women who don't bathe around their periods. Eeek....

Nancy said:
What makes me wonder if the females who hardly ever took baths (like Queen Isabella), how could they control the "odor" that menstrual periods has caused? To get rid of the menstrual odor, they have to keep themselves clean. I bet the people back then were probably holding their noses in secret from the women who don't bathe around their periods. Eeek....
When I was a teen in the 1960's, we girls were taught that bathing during your period was bad. (That was from a public school "health" education.) You had to "bird bath" or just wash up with a wash cloth, but no bath or shower allowed. True! We were also taught that you should stay home from school on your first day, lie in bed with a hot water bottle, and "take it easy." You could be excused from gym class during your periods.

Times have changed!

CrazyMomma said:
Still Nasty! I wonder if women change their underwear everyday??
They didn't wear "underwear" like we have now. Except for wealthy people, most people didn't have more than one or two sets of clothing, so they rarely changed or washed them. Also, some clothing (fur and leather) was not "washable" and they didn't have dry cleaners, so they never were cleaned. The best they could do was "air" out their clothes outdoors.

I think people back then had a higher "odor" tolerance than we do now. Ewwww!

I could imagine how embarrassed that would be... but, gee -- how interestin' ! Of course, it is all about life........

Wow, Reba...that IS amazing how times have changed.

Although I would've milked that gym excuse for all it was worth... ;)

i have way to much moisture in my hair... thats why i don't take a shower everday my head will become greasy....oh how i miss the early 90s i didn't like washing my hair or brushing it ... I was alittle grunge kid

I was informed by several people that it's okay not to bathe every day because we have natural live good bacteria living on our skin - it helps build up our immune systems and protect us from elements surrounding us on earth. If we bathed/showered every single day with soap, etc..it'll kill the good bacteria and break down our immune systems and get sick easier.
Yes, it's true about hair becoming oily after a day or two - but it's part of the body's bodily functions in protecting our hair from the UV rays from the sun and pollution in the air. (natural defenses)
Honestly, today, we all are spoilt by all the priviledges we have available to maintain the levels of cleaniness we're accustomed to.

gnarlydorkette said:
But if I don't shower or bath everday, my hair will become OILY and out of control. The conditioner is my lifesaver! It is embarassed because if I decide to skip shower/bath or whatever, the next day my hair look like I haven't bathed in months!

Not my skin. (looking at her hands) I shower every morning to control my wild mane (and to MOLD it for the day so I look good!). Although In wintertime, the aridness in the city will cause everybody's skin to dry. (stocking up on lotions)

Sorry to be :topic:

I can understand what you mean. Yours is similar to my hubby. He tried everything until found right one is Head & Shoulder shampoo. It WORKS at last... He do not need to wash his hair everyday but twice a week.

Wash hair in the night and leave it dry natural is the best. I would recommend you to not use conditoner. It works on my hubby well and less oily for years now.

We heard the rumor about baby powder on fair hair is work very well but I don't know either it's true or not because my hubby won't try it.

R3na3Blyth3 said:
I was informed by several people that it's okay not to bathe every day because we have natural live good bacteria living on our skin - it helps build up our immune systems and protect us from elements surrounding us on earth. If we bathed/showered every single day with soap, etc..it'll kill the good bacteria and break down our immune systems and get sick easier. ..
I have heard that too, but I bathe every day, and I very rarely get sick. I don't catch many colds or flus or other sicknesses, so I :dunno:

On the other hand, during pollen season, it is very important to bathe every day, especially before bedtime. Pollen sticks on hair, skin, and clothing, so it must be removed, especially before going to bed. People with allergies shouldn't breathe the pollens all night.

Makeup needs to be removed from the face every night, too. It can be gently removed with cleansing lotions and gels instead of soap and water, if dryness is a problem. But the pores do need to be cleansed every night.

Liebling:-))) said:
I can understand what you mean. Yours is similar to my hubby. He tried everything until found right one is Head & Shoulder shampoo. It WORKS at last... He do not need to wash his hair everyday but twice a week.

Wash hair in the night and leave it dry natural is the best. I would recommend you to not use conditoner. It works on my hubby well and less oily for years now.

We heard the rumor about baby powder on fair hair is work very well but I don't know either it's true or not because my hubby won't try it.

Extactly as as my hubby does requires use Head & Shoulder shampoo everyday and cannot live without this kind brand... reason his hair is totally OILY easily instant within next day... He like requires taking shower every day.. That's him!

Espically My rest children and me are beautiful normal hair and using shampoo any kinds brands.. Ain't worries.. *smile*

Queen.. oh please... Total stinks.. only 2 twice in a year taking a bath..
That damn odors strong enough ?
Must be she using perfume heavier.. to prevent smell odors on her body.
:barf:

Back