purple smartVP

I just got smartvp and it does have WiFi. Best to check your settings.

No, not Setting, I was already old post, you read it again. if cable network plug smartVP, won't work WiFi setting, MUST unplug cable network, WiFi will show setting

No, not Setting, I was already old post, you read it again. if cable network plug smartVP, won't work WiFi setting, MUST unplug cable network, WiFi will show setting

I just did that and it doesn't work. How do you get Wifi connected?

Ok, easy.. please ALL unplug cable both network and power, 20 second, please only power supply plug, do not network cable, you see screen standby (like busy move left and right box), done!.. go setting, you see Network, press ethernet jump to wifi, or it is self. if you are already network cable plug, WiFi will disabled, won't remote press it, only ethernet alone

I just did that and it doesn't work. How do you get Wifi connected?

N O P E! It is NOT WiFi period. Done saw it, and they did show me, hey see that WiFi. I said, oh that? That is NOT WiFi! It is called POE, means Power Over Ethernet. Often Deafies and hearing people too gets confuse whats difference between POE and WiFi. A BIG difference.

Seriously, VP runs better if not use with WiFi unless the screen is small so can't notice the degrading video quality.

It have WIFI ready. 802.11ac? Doubt it. It should have Wireless N.

I will have opportunity to play more with SmartVP by tomorrow. I am not that exciting but wanted see how well professionalism their terps are. So far out of 20, I find one terp to be very UNprofessional. I wish I have videotaped him and send to Purple and make them explain to me why I should port to Purple?

This is gonna be interesting.

TelyHD Remove

I had sent Purple to ask if iPhone or iPad can use TelyHD remote app to work with SmartVP. But never reply message yet. Can use keyboard on iOS device instead of keypad.

telyHD Remote app for iPhone and iPad

Anyone or Evo Dragon have TelyHD remote app for using SmartVP???

Done installed SmartVP, the video quality, Im sorry to say Sorenson Ntouch still even little better. I am going to figure out why this is happening and I think it has to do with router setting on QOS (Quality of Service) I might put Sorenson on top priority, SmartVP might be on mid range. I wish they have better technical specification so I can configure my router. I think it is fixable problem, secondly after hearing claims that SmartVP have built in Sonic alert transmitter which is great. I found the on and off switches in the top of smartVP. I still can't get information what code to set for my receivers. Am waiting to hear purple and Sonic alert techies response.

At this moment, Im just fooling around and testing see if purple live up with their claim. And from my experience, anytime when there is new production, or "First generation" of any products, usually they aren't perfect and in testing stage to improve for future generations.

Overall, SmartVP, Ntouch, and SVP-200. I still like SVP-200 the best for video quality. But for features, SmartVP and Ntouch is much like 50-50

Anyone of you success with sonic alert receiver, please PM how you set it up? Thanks.

pros and cons with SmartVP

Oh hold on, this is not a rant or rave yet. I have not playing enough. Im here to share something about remote control. The pros is that you can have Ntouch VP next to SmartVP without any conflict on VP remote control. That is a PLUS. I found out the difference is that NtouchVP uses IR (Infrared remote) while SmartVP uses RF (Radio frequency), that is why there is no conflict with each other. Even though Purple claimed that you don't have to point the remote control to smartVP, it will EVEN work if your in another room, as opposed as NtouchVP where you have to point the remote control toward to NtouchVP camera otherwise won't work. So, question is which is better? I would say NEITHER, based on my experiences. Pointing at VP directly has its own advantage, you can't easily accidentally press remote control with your ass and make unintended calls while with SmartVP, if you sit your ass on remote control and it dials 911, you will see responders in front of your door in no time. That's bad!

Believe it or not, both of VP have issues with video quality, and I think it has to do with defective Ethernet cable. I have to fish them to replace it. Urgh, not feeling up to do much.

Some of you may experience unable to call with competitor equipment, thinking a competitors are trying to block your calls from using their competitor equipment. Often this is not the case. The case is really mostly on modem, gateway modem, and router and some switches. How do I know? Well, from my nearly 6 years experience. I got bunch of customers with black screen even though everything was set correctly and I don't see any blocking at all. It was mystery until we discovery why, those customer with Q1000 gateway modem with Qwest, their firewall was poorly written, and caused black screen! As soon as I ask them to replace the modem to PK5000 (Gawd not PK5000a), problem were mostly resolved, but has some spotty issues with calling point to point whether same VRS or different VRS company.

I also learn that hearing people DO have issues with cell phone and 911. I was shocked to find out that e911 is not 100% perfect yet, it is NOT reliable as of yet. Now I understand why 911 though TTY though landline is best method of calling 911.

Within 2 weeks, there will be drama going on when it comes to interoperability issues, and FCC is going to realize that there is more to the problem than they thought. Like I said earlier, router/gateway modem manufacturers needs to get involved and set up standardize for video codec/platform, that is when the problem with calling each other will solve.

Many of you may not know or aware that I have at least 10 different modems and routers here, and I did run several tests and not all of them work the same way. Hey, remember the old days of Linksys that cause black screen on VP-100. Linksys fixed that problem sometimes in 2006.

I still have not figure out how to get sonic alert receiver work with my smartVP. I am not sure if they seriously did build in sonic alert transmitter or just fake promoting that it would work with Sonic Alert receivers. I have contact purple and sonic alert, neither of them know the answer. Go figure!

Honestly and being neutral, about the time that Purple learn their lesson from MVP. The MVP cosmetic was really barf bagged. Now with that built in TelyHD, and was told that it is more of cosmetically as prototype.

I also understand why need of two power adapters, the primary is used for TelyHD system, while second power adapter were for the phone ringer and darn bright LED lights.

My concern is June 10, 2013, will FCC realize the real need of stand alone VP equipment or not? I hope FCC realizes that and encourage stand alone equipment continue to be develop and improved with standardize video CODEC/platform.

Guess I would need about 6 months before giving any rants or rave on SmartVP.

Confirmed, your right! Now Im thinking of getting wireless mini keyboard for smartVP. Really neat feature because I could type in yellow page and look up and hit to make call. Impressive.

SmartVP work USB Keyboard !!

Confirmed, your right! Now Im thinking of getting wireless mini keyboard for smartVP. Really neat feature because I could type in yellow page and look up and hit to make call. Impressive.

I need to know about working TelyHD remote iOS app with SmartVP???

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HkcwA8sWWo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwBPrl3yiL8[/ame]

I don't think it will work. There is no TelyHD features on screen. Its just 100% purple 0% telyHD, perhaps due to FCC regulations, I don't know :dunno:

Just checked the APPs, its for TelyHD remote control if you lose one. It won't work with SmartVP, I could try but don't think so because interface on the screen is Purple, period.

Done test, failed. It can't recognize smartVP, like I said earlier, there is nothing in reference to TelyHD, just PURPLE, period. What that means is that TelyHD apps on that device has been removed. It does makes sense, due to FCC regulations. FCC does not want hearing people to take advantage of VRS, so device must be able to block hearing people from taking advantage of it. For example, CODA, they are NOT qualified as per regulation set by congress. In other words, you get *F*R*E*E* Videophone provided by VRS company that was subsided (Pay for) by government, and government have the right to decide.
If you buy it, and add VRS on it, then it is whole different concept. Sorry to disappoint you, just that FCC just pissed off from 10 years worth of abuses.

I need to know about working TelyHD remote iOS app with SmartVP???

I just found out one of big cons on SmartVP, and I believe that engineers are working on CODEC*/platform with video. I discovered this after trying to adjust speed and play with speed setting, SmartVP don't have manual settings for video speed, only 512K or higher and set automatically.

I know Sorenson NtouchVP can go as slow as 128K UPLOAD** speed and will work but won't get crystal clear video however still can be achieved. They usually recommended 256K UPLOAD speed. What I just found out that SmartVP minimum UPLOAD speed is 512! That is not good thing for those with low end DSL or on DSL and at remote location. Some of you may have applied for but can't get them, its possible due to lack of UPLOAD speed. Must be at least 512K, I have 4 times of that speed anyway.

For VP-200, can 128K upload speed, the secret what? Just turn off the color on both ends, and you will get crystal clear black n white video chat. I tested it and it works! See? The more data being transmit, the slower the video will be. Other way to get crystal clear video on any VP, how? reduce the clutter in background or minimize variety of colors and yes positioning light is the key. Having bright windows in background will kill most of high quality video.

*CODEC is a program or application whatever you call that does the compression of an image/data of whatever, it can be audio, Video, etc. Its like old application called PKZIP. If you take a picture and it end up whopping 15MB, too large to attach on your E mail to send your friend so, using PKZip to zip it up (Compressing) and it can reduce to like maybe 3MB so you can send it to your friend faster that way. That is how video CODEC works, take video of you, then compressing them then transmit over the Internet, then when arrive another VP, they decompress them and show that snapshot of video so your friend can see you. This is reason why its important to have proper set up VP for best video quality.

**For those who are unaware that there are almost always two different speeds when it comes to networking. Its called Download and Upload speed. Most of the time upload speed is slower than download speed. Most of ISP won't admit that until you ask them, they don't advertise the upload speed. If they say wooot we have 2MBPS (2,000KBPS) speed. They mean 2MBPS download speed, but their upload may be somewhere in 500KBPS which will disqualify SmartVP installation. Mine is 20/2MBPS and I have seen 30 sometimes but upload most of the time stuck at 2MBPS. I am okay with it.

The only time you can get same speed on both ways is dedicated line like T1, T3, OCX3 etc and they aren't cheap, and only one Cable based ISP that I know offers same speed on both ways, called Green light cable 50/50 as standard. I think it is in North Carolina.

So, if you want SmartVP but can't due to speed, just be patience and wait as they are working on it and hopefully can decrease speed to 256K like Sorenson can, and I hopefully FCC will make Sorenson CODEC standard, who knows? :dunno: So, if you have low upload speed (At least 192K), then stick with Sorenson, forget Purple and I have no idea of Z VP cause I don't have them and have no interest in them.

Some of you may complain not fair hearing people no problem clear sounds. Well, two things are true.... They don't always get crystal clear sounds, yes some hearing people told me "Whats wrong with these Deaf people complaining about poor video, sometimes my cellphone have lousy sound quality and I pay for it but they got VP service for free", Secondly Video uses 3 to 5 times more resources than audio, meaning they (Video) demand more though the network than audio does.

I was hoping that Purple would add White pages on their SmartVP. I have used Yellowpage feature on it, very nice and yes it works BUT problem is, can't save the number on contact list. I think it has to do with system unable to read yellow page and discriminate what number is really the number, see if Purple engineer used their heads and allow their VI input that number so that customer's SmartVP recognize that as a number then offer if want save on contact list.

Plenty of room to improve for Purple. Hopefully they would continue despite of FCC ruling on June 10, 2013. Same goes with Sorenson.

@diehardbiker

Also very careful Bandwidth cap, usage meter, or usage data, will lose bills, limit some ISP, 40GB, 200GB, 300GB usage data but Google FIOS is fine, unlimit, SmartVP can 2Mbips, no problem

Im not worry about the cap, I average 200GB a month. I just found out a month ago. LOL

This is one of reason why I won't recommend SmartVP if have issue with bandwidth cap, Sorenson NtouchVP which is best choice if limit bandwidth.

I'm here just to share as if I am just average customer. No favortism here, I share what I see and understand how they works and what they got to offer.

Here is fact, there is no WiFi feature on SmartVP. I already confirmed that, secondly I found out that not all sonic alert receivers will work with SmartVP. There are some technical features I could modify on SmartVP where I, as customer can't modify on NtouchVP. Only few specific Sorenson employees can do that.

What I like on SmartVP is screensaver, showing outside temp and weather, clock, and date.

I also understand why there is no TelyHD apps available for SmartVP. TelyHD APPS are designed for Skype, Skype is the one who licensed that apps, meaning Purple can not use that apps unless they pay license to use them. FCC won't pay that as I know for sure. What Purple did was license the design of TelyHD hardware, then Purple add whatever they want on top of TelyHD hardware like flasher, etc, develop their own APPS to work on TelyHD hardware.

@diehardbiker

Also very careful Bandwidth cap, usage meter, or usage data, will lose bills, limit some ISP, 40GB, 200GB, 300GB usage data but Google FIOS is fine, unlimit, SmartVP can 2Mbips, no problem

I also understand why there is no TelyHD apps available for SmartVP. TelyHD APPS are designed for Skype, Skype is the one who licensed that apps, meaning Purple can not use that apps unless they pay license to use them. FCC won't pay that as I know for sure. What Purple did was license the design of TelyHD hardware, then Purple add whatever they want on top of TelyHD hardware like flasher, etc, develop their own APPS to work on TelyHD hardware.

Shit! No TelyHD app for SmartVP and no TelyHD remote app on iOS device. :roll:

DHB, can you set it to use the full screen on the TV? The NTouch does not, but can the SmartVP do it? We already discussed before about NTouch. I don't need help with that. I'm just curious about SmartVP.

Back