Price of antiques have declined

Then I guess it's a good time to buy antiques if you like them. They could come in demand again everything always seem to come back into fashion .

Interesting.

I don't buy antiques. I inherited too many of them to begin with. I've already passed down some of them to my daughter.

The price of any antiques go up and down over time. When they are in demand and have a level of desirability their price will go up. When it goes out of favor the price will fall. That's the nature of the beast.

The price of any antiques go up and down over time. When they are in demand and have a level of desirability their price will go up. When it goes out of favor the price will fall. That's the nature of the beast.

When I lived in Boston in the late 60's and 70's people would throw their antique furniture out with the trash and antique dealers would sell in their stores. People got smart after awhile and held on to their antique furniture or sold it their self . Yeah the Antiques Roadshow will have show that show what an antiques was worth when it was first seen on their and what its' worth a few years later and some antiques stay the same in value
and others goes down in value.

The thing is, depending on what it is...is how long its actually worth anything. Due to dust and Humidity, Paintings will deteriorate. Humidity will destroy furniture in certain climates and so on. But the new age also plays a roll where kids today are all about techy stuff and not quality items so furniture isnt cared for like it once was... its disposable, wears out then throw it out. I myself like certain furniture with less maintenance, and decor thats more western than modern ( concrete cowboy here...lol ) Born and raised in the city but love the country. So antiques related to farming I like, just never cared much for Van Gogh paintings....

The thing is, depending on what it is...is how long its actually worth anything. Due to dust and Humidity, Paintings will deteriorate. Humidity will destroy furniture in certain climates and so on. But the new age also plays a roll where kids today are all about techy stuff and not quality items so furniture isnt cared for like it once was... its disposable, wears out then throw it out. I myself like certain furniture with less maintenance, and decor thats more western than modern ( concrete cowboy here...lol ) Born and raised in the city but love the country. So antiques related to farming I like, just never cared much for Van Gogh paintings....

Many of today's kids have taken on the minimalist living lifestyle and antiques don't play into it. If they aren't living a minimalist lifestyle they seem to be living the IKEA one where they buy the crap the store sells and a year or two later they throw it all out and buy what the store is currently offering.

There is a vintage/antique store right in town where I live. The prices are so unbelievably reasonable. I would buy practically everything in that store if I had the room to store it, or the $$ (obviously I can't buy EVERYTHING! :lol: )

Back