Prefer deaf or HOH or hearing?

RBDShadow

Reaction score
I sometimes feel like I'd much rather be deaf than HOH. It seems easier to me, ya know?

Do any other HOH or hearing folks feel this way? I wonder if I'm the only one.

How about, do any deaf folks wish they could hearing than deaf?

I was born with a moderate-profound hearing loss and I was fully mainstreamed. I wouldn't exactly say I prefer to be HoH/mainstreamed, but it is all I've ever known. I've worn hearing aids over the years (though I did go years without wearing them), and I recently got an implant to improve my hearing. I still wish I had more interaction with deaf people (I have none except through the Internet). I can definitely see the best of both worlds. ASL is a beautiful language.

As for the "choice" of remaining "deaf"/HOH consider what every DEAF person does re: Cochlear Implants.
Your choice to start the process eg: "suitable" etc or NOT.

Aside I have been bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006.

i had hearing and went profoundly deaf half life hear half deaf...from what i see people get irritated with HOH that sad

i had hearing and went profoundly deaf half life hear half deaf...from what i see people get irritated with HOH that sad

Most of the deaf people I've met online seem to be pretty accepting of HoH people, and even hearing people for that matter. But I have met or seen a few deaf people who were rather rude toward HoH people (thank heaven most aren't like that!). I don't understand why others wouldn't be accepting of HoH people. If you think about it, we are sort of stuck between two worlds - we don't fully fit in with the hearing world or the deaf world. So it's up to us to decide what suits us best. Some HoH people find a balance between both worlds. There are no right or wrong answers!

I am HOH. Something a Late Deafened person told me once as to struggles to communicate... "Use whatever works." Be it typing on your cell phone, ask to repeat, use & learn ASL, speak. Educate the hearing. Learn the ASL to be able to participate at Deaf events. I have felt like I'm living in no man's land for over a decade. Not hearing enough even with aids to be like I was when fully hearing, and being able to go to hearing events, seminars, talks/lectures, etc., without the need for captioning, which I need now & can't always get. Becoming more & more isolated. Hearing friends who used to chat with me for long conversations on the phone, refuse because of that "third person," the captioner. Yet won't take the time to email/text, either. And yet have no idea how hurtful that is. :(

What do I prefer? Just friendly understanding people willing to make an effort to communicate, to have a good time with. :cool2: Not to be "classified" or "labeled" or made to feel "less than" because I am not fully hearing and not fully Deaf and fluent in ASL. :|

I'm pretty much both since I'm almost right down 2 severe/profound (I have moderate/severe loss now)

Better just to accept what you are and go from there.

no matter,we know anytimes aware deaf and hearing of hard!

The conditions of "hearing loss/deafness" isn't exactly under our conscious control but how one actually deals WITH them is. Use of a Hearing aid or consideration of a Cochlear Implant or the utilization of ASL et al is YOUR CHOICE.

Ferrets and cats don't know anything about HOH. They're accepting regardless of whether they're deaf or hearing. They'll know they're deaf when they cannot hear, but they've no concept of HOH part.

The only problem can ferrets read this computer screen re: "handling deafness"?
No comment from my cat!

Better just to accept what you are and go from there.

no matter,we know anytimes aware deaf and hearing of hard!

The conditions of "hearing loss/deafness" isn't exactly under our conscious control but how one actually deals WITH them is. Use of a Hearing aid or consideration of a Cochlear Implant or the utilization of ASL et al is YOUR CHOICE.

Ferrets and cats don't know anything about HOH. They're accepting regardless of whether they're deaf or hearing. They'll know they're deaf when they cannot hear, but they've no concept of HOH part.

The only problem can ferrets read this computer screen re: "handling deafness"?
No comment from my cat!

Drphil, me, Smithtr, and Derek, all said the same thing but in different ways. Derek always prefers using metaphors.

How many of us reading this computer screen can handle understanding metaphors?

Ferret life is happy.

f9a8f105-ad8b-4546-b61f-a81fdf2be113.jpg

me Deaf!

Even though I am hearing-I would rather be deaf. When I was born I had so much wax in my ear I was deaf for a month (told from the doctors) and I admit I enjoyed it and wish I could return to that life.

Back