Piercing

girlingrey

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting an industrial ear piercing [Google "Industrial Piercing"] meaning a high cartilage piercing, but I'm guessing this might not work well, because I wear Phonak BTE's. When I next can, I'll upload a pic of this just so you can see exactly how my hearing aid sits on the ear. I also occasionally wear glasses for distance (most likely mandatory for driving), so I'm looking at quite a bit of hardware.
Anyone have experience with this? Am I asking for flying pigs, here? Should I just go with a different piercing?

Hope someone has an idea.. The general internet population isn't helping..:ty:

I'm looking into getting an industrial ear piercing [Google "Industrial Piercing"] meaning a high cartilage piercing, but I'm guessing this might not work well, because I wear Phonak BTE's. When I next can, I'll upload a pic of this just so you can see exactly how my hearing aid sits on the ear. I also occasionally wear glasses for distance (most likely mandatory for driving), so I'm looking at quite a bit of hardware.
Anyone have experience with this? Am I asking for flying pigs, here? Should I just go with a different piercing?

Easy solution here. Don't pierce, get a clip on or something like that. Save your money. Some day you may need a CI or something else.

You know, I would go talk to your piercer, maybe talk to a couple of them. Wear your hearing aids and glasses and see what they say. Any professional piercer will take existing factors into account.

From the pictures I've seen a bar across the helix won't be a problem as long as the exterior balls don't touch your hearing aid, and they shouldn't if your hearing aid sits properly on your ear.

you can do a morse code by tapping your piercing against the microphone of your hearing aid.

I suggest to wear it when you do piercing and find the right location that won't interfer your hearing aid microphone.

Haha, thanks everyone. I've been looking at a couple different places online, near enough that I might go check 3 out before committing to a piercing. I guess I just need to talk to my audi (appt. tomorrow for new molds !!) about whether it could be a problem in the forseeable future. I'll upload a pic tonight, hopefully. If it looks like this would be a major issue, I'm thinking three rings on the cartilage :D Though I think after the first I'd chicken out LOL.

I have to Deaf friends with industrial peircings. Both wear hearing aids at least sometimes. No problems as far as I know.

I think whoever have said 'talk to the piercer' had the best idea.

From me - I think I saw some of the piercings have soft flat plastic backings, so maybe not all is lost.

Fuzzy

I think whoever have said 'talk to the piercer' had the best idea.

From me - I think I saw some of the piercings have soft flat plastic backings, so maybe not all is lost.

Fuzzy

Yeah, I'm going to go in with glasses/h-aids on, and do some serious sharpie-ing. I think obviously the part closest to my head is going to be the difficult end, though i'm pretty sure I can pick up different ends (ball screws and the like), so I think that might be the biggest variation.

JennyB, I know this might sound ridiculously creepy, but can you see if you can get a pic of the h-aid with the piercing in? Obviously, ears/h-aid placement is different, but it'd be cool to see how theirs was done.

Once again, thanks everyone! :ty::ty::ty:

Yeah, I'm going to go in with glasses/h-aids on, and do some serious sharpie-ing. I think obviously the part closest to my head is going to be the difficult end, though i'm pretty sure I can pick up different ends (ball screws and the like), so I think that might be the biggest variation.

JennyB, I know this might sound ridiculously creepy, but can you see if you can get a pic of the h-aid with the piercing in? Obviously, ears/h-aid placement is different, but it'd be cool to see how theirs was done.

Once again, thanks everyone! :ty::ty::ty:

I will try to find one.

UPDATE:
OK, so went to the piercing studio. Decided on a triple helix/twister/corkscrew/spiral-type piercing. After finally getting the jewelry, went back to the studio. The piercer was very nice and knowledgeable. She asked if I could hear her without it (when she was doing the piercing) etc. After taking care of paperwork, etc., she took me to the back and started working on marking my ear. This is where the interesting part was :D We were determined to place it where it would interfere as little as possible with the hearing aid, however this was kind of impossible, except for making it more of a lobe piercing. Another piercer came over to see what she looked so confused about, and just kinda shook his head LOL. No idea. She marked it and showed me where it was, asked if that was good, etc. I agreed, then she asked me to take out my h-aid. So did all that, the piercing was, um, not too bad :P The third hole hurt the worst, though, probs because I knew what was coming. I could also lip read her in the mirror, which helped a lot. :D All in all, a pretty good experience.

Just want to thank everyone for their advice :D

Also, kinda wondering if anyone has experience with ear piercings and hearing aids, etc. I'm not sure when I can start wearing it again. Piercer said it should heal in 4-6 months, but... I pretty much am going to have to start wearing it in 2 weeks or so, when school starts.
Probably shoulda gotten the piercing at the beginning of the summer, hunh?

Attachments

• piercing1.JPG
    piercing1.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 42
Haha thanks :D
It wasn't too bad. Everyone expected me to give up after the first needle lol. I didn't know what to expect it to feel like at first, and still can't explain it. It hurt. I was basically grabbing my pant leg/shoe the entire time :D The third one hurt the worst, though, because I already knew what was coming, and my ear was already swollen/angry.

Hindsight tells me that it probably would have hurt less doing the three holes weeks apart. But I'm glad I got it over with :D

Totally awesome! I totally like this! I'd get mine like that, if I could. Only problem is finding the jewelry that I won't have trouble with in terms of reactions. I would need titanium or plastic, most definitely.

Totally awesome! I totally like this! I'd get mine like that, if I could. Only problem is finding the jewelry that I won't have trouble with in terms of reactions. I would need titanium or plastic, most definitely.

Firebrand, I'm sure you can find a piercer that will help you find appropriate, allergy-safe jewelry. You're from PA. :D

So you are sure your hearing aid isn't going to rest on the top of that coil??

Cool but painful looking.

So you are sure your hearing aid isn't going to rest on the top of that coil??

Cool but painful looking.

As I said, wasn't too bad.
Also, that's kinda what I'm concerned about D: If you look at the pic, you'll see that the top coil that comes around to the front of my ear is actually just where the ball ends (the piercer adjusted it so it looks like I got 4 holes done, lol) so if I have to I can rotate it down so the ball hits the hole on the back of my ear. I guess worst case scenario I'll either take it out or.... IDK.
I'm also looking at new/smaller hearing aids within two years LOL. I had a convo with my audio about piercings, and then smaller aids/different fit ear molds, etc.
When I go back to school it's likely I'm going to have to start wearing it again, so I'll post a pic of the spiral and the aid on together when I get a chance.

I would guess having an Implant would be would in the way. here could be a slight difference with a BTE hearing aid. No I don't have any piercing.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria activated Aug/07

All you have to do is ask the piercer to mark where the piercing can be. If it interfere, then no. But look up a picture of all the ear piercings and see what can work and what can’t work. I had my industrial done on my right ear and of course I asked what I said above. He said no problem, he looked at it and he was already sure that he can do it. I have BTE hearing aids worn at all times (except sleeping and water related activity obviously), so there’s most that I can’t get. But for an industrial, for sure!! I also tried the tragus piercing and it was only after I realized that I have hearing aids (one of my hearing aids was temporarily broken). So when I tried on my hearing aid, it was definitely in the way

I WOULD WEAR YOUR GLASSES AND YOUR HEARING AIDE AND A MASK WHILE YOU ARE AT THE PIERCING PLACE AND ASK THEIR OPINIONS.. NOT JUST ONE THOUGH (YOU MAY JUST GET SOMEONE TRYING TO MAKE YOU HAPPY). ,ASK a few people.Then decide if it's what you want to do. Just remember they hurt when they get pulled

Back