Picture captures deadly bike crash in Matamoros, Mexico

The driver is definately in trouble. Doubt that he will ever come back home to the U.S.

Horrible pictures!

Yes I saw news tv this morning.. He was drunk and fell asleep :roll:

yea that is really sad ! i can relate to that before because i have been in hit and run accident. as i was training on road bike in florida for triathlon, a car hit me and ran away from that area. i flew over that car and my face landed onto street. several ppl witnessed that happening. they tried to chase that guy as he ran away, but they lost him but thanks the Lord that i am still alive.

in atlanta i have some road biking partners' friends got killed in car/ bike accidents in different times.

it is really sad to hear that...

yea that is really sad ! i can relate to that before because i have been in hit and run accident. as i was training on road bike in florida for triathlon, a car hit me and ran away from that area. i flew over that car and my face landed onto street. several ppl witnessed that happening. they tried to chase that guy as he ran away, but they lost him but thanks the Lord that i am still alive.

in atlanta i have some road biking partners' friends got killed in car/ bike accidents in different times.

it is really sad to hear that...

You very lucky!!! i did rode bike and hit by the car also wood log at side the road at night too! *stitches 7 :( Sorry about your friend :(

In DC area, there are a lot of "egostic" bicyclists . Sometimes they don't care if car passed them between millimeter gap. I drive van, and I have big rear mirrors, and it almost hit them several times. No choice for me to move, because they were not supposed to RIDE in the road. They always prefer to ride a bike on the road, not sidewalks.

In DC area, there are a lot of "egostic" bicyclists . Sometimes they don't care if car passed them between millimeter gap. I drive van, and I have big rear mirrors, and it almost hit them several times. No choice for me to move, because they were not supposed to RIDE in the road. They always prefer to ride a bike on the road, not sidewalks.

i understand, but bicycles are vehicles technically. i did like 25 to 30 mph on roads, not sidewalks. no thanks to sidewalk ! only way is to share the roads with the riders. my state supports "share the roads" thingy for those riders. i do know some riders are "egostic" to do stupid things on the roads.

forget to add...

i did over 55 mph on my road bike down the hills with the group for about 3 miles. that was pretty excited to ride.. those cars were backing off for my bike groups taking over the roads. heh.

Uhh... *blinks*

How the hell did that happen!? Jeez...

That's terrifying.

I have to wonder - Since the article noted that the cyclists were in a race, Why was the car allowed there in the first place? Usually when there is a bicycle race, the officials will make sure the whole area is secured for the safety of these cyclists. Perhaps it is handled differently in Mexico?

That's terrifying.

I have to wonder - Since the article noted that the cyclists were in a race, Why was the car allowed there in the first place? Usually when there is a bicycle race, the officials will make sure the whole area is secured for the safety of these cyclists. Perhaps it is handled differently in Mexico?

i saw second picture of that happening: there was a police car in front of riders group inside race somehow that police car apparently drifted away from that incoming car as that car hit onto the groups. let me find another pictures.

edit:

found it...
0,,6072649,00.jpg

i saw second picture of that happening: there was a police car in front of riders group inside race somehow that police car apparently drifted away from that incoming car as that car hit onto the groups. let me find another pictures.

edit:

found it...
0,,6072649,00.jpg

:shock: yeah that s right!! I can see that.... police car couldnt not move Jeez!!!! :roll:

:shock: That would be terrifying. Very sad.

Sounds like that driver will ends up in Mexico prison.

*goose bump* thread...

Very sad!!!!

You are very lucky, deafclimber!!!

They always prefer to ride a bike on the road, not sidewalks.

I believe that, here, in the United States, bicycles are not supposed to be on the sidewalks. Motorists and bicyclists are supposed to share the road. Here's a quote from DC's Department of Transportation's website:
http://www.ddot.dc.gov/ddot/lib/ddot/information/bicycle/laws/18_dcmr_12.pdf
A person operating a bicycle shall comply with subsection 2201.1 of this title requiring drivers to be on the right half of the roaday and shall not operate on the left facing traffic coming from the opposite direction except when authorized by that section.

Regarding the pics/article:
Whenever there is a race going on, I've always found police presence and guidance very, very strong and ahead of the race. I wonder why a whole bunch of bicyclists didn't see a car barrelling down the road toward them.

Was it a game of chicken between bicycles and a car?

edit:

found it...
0,,6072649,00.jpg

yeah iam wondering why that police car was on the opposit lane to let the drunk driver around him or maybe he caused it Dunno. If that police car stayed front of the bikes then maybe it wouldnt be as bad as it looks. I have been looking at the same pix over over iam going damn why did the polce car move out of the way let the drunk driver head on ???? Scratching my head u know bet they are going to investigate it both sides . Also look on the bike rider on the shoulder too on the oppsite of the police car on the wrong side ???

yeah iam wondering why that police car was on the opposit lane to let the drunk driver around him or maybe he caused it Dunno. If that police car stayed front of the bikes then maybe it wouldnt be as bad as it looks. I have been looking at the same pix over over iam going damn why did the polce car move out of the way let the drunk driver head on ???? Scratching my head u know bet they are going to investigate it both sides . Also look on the bike rider on the shoulder too on the oppsite of the police car on the wrong side ???
another thing i want to piont out why isnt the drunk driver brake light not on??? theres debris on the road the white peices on the side of the police car before the ahead on u see it ??? confuse me I think theres more going on than the pix sayinng u know /

Back