Operation on Ear Nerve Damage?

Reaction score
Most of the time in life, I always dreamt of having normal hearing *or hear like everyone else* and I remembered I asked my doctor if it was possible. He asked how old I was and I was 10 years old at the time. He said, maybe in ten years there might be a possibility because technologies are always changing. Well, I have been counting down each year or months and I waited for 9 years. I thought throughly each year and changed my mind constantly. However, I really like to have at least a normal level hearing.

Is it possible for me to have that operation if I take that opportunity? I am severe to profound deaf. Well, left to right for ears. I want to know if it's possible for me or a chance for me. I always kept in my heart to look forward one more year now, it's been ten years and I believe I'm ready. I know I want to hear normally like everyone else does.

So, is it possible for me to have an operation? :shrug::dunno:

no there is no surgery to fix hearing...your doctor was just guessing since there is always improvements in technology and medicine that their MIGHT be something to help you ...the only way to "hear" is through hearing aids or a cochlear implant

Most of the time in life, I always dreamt of having normal hearing *or hear like everyone else* and I remembered I asked my doctor if it was possible. He asked how old I was and I was 10 years old at the time. He said, maybe in ten years there might be a possibility because technologies are always changing. Well, I have been counting down each year or months and I waited for 9 years. I thought throughly each year and changed my mind constantly. However, I really like to have at least a normal level hearing.

Is it possible for me to have that operation if I take that opportunity? I am severe to profound deaf. Well, left to right for ears. I want to know if it's possible for me or a chance for me. I always kept in my heart to look forward one more year now, it's been ten years and I believe I'm ready. I know I want to hear normally like everyone else does.

You are not allowed to make multiple threads on the same topic.

Again, I don't think that is possible. I also have auditory nerves damaged.

Yeah, I kind of already knew that. I'm new and a friend of mine trying to help me out. Don't worry, that won't happen again. ^^;

Oh, okay, thanks for your honesty.

Wirelessly posted

Betty, if you have sensorineural hearing loss, there is still no cure. Doc was probably referring to stem cells but its still experimental for reclamation of the hearing sense.

Technology has improved, as you can see stronger and/or smaller hearing aids these days; some are even fitted with bluetooth.

If you want to follow on stem cell progress, there are some sites available. But keep in mind nothing will come out like miracles.. they will have to do many trials in willing people.

Betty,

I was told the same thing when I was a kid. I have been waiting 30 years.

I am thinking that "some day" may never come. I hate to sound all doom and gloom, but I have gotten used to having inner ear nerve damage. The tinnitus sometimes gets really bad, but I can cope.

I read somewhere they are working on developing an implant for auditory nerve damage.

I have had sensorineural "trouble" most of life-never heard that any surgical procedure got/would "fix my Hearing Loss". Thus have had Hearing aids over 35 years and now Cochlear Implant. As suggested above consider a Cochlear Implant. What might happen 20/30 years from now can't help you NOW!

Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria-activated Aug/07

I have had sensorineural "trouble" most of life-never heard that any surgical procedure got/would "fix my Hearing Loss". Thus have had Hearing aids over 35 years and now Cochlear Implant. As suggested above consider a Cochlear Implant. What might happen 20/30 years from now can't help you NOW!

Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria-activated Aug/07

Dr phil This was my reasoning in getting the implant. Why continue to waite for something that may just never be here before I pass on. I've spent the past 10 years waiting for something less invasive for CI. And nothing has come out. Im kicking myself everyday now that I waited soooo long to do this but am glad I went through it.

I am sorry that you feel that way about yourself. I grew up feeling the same as you did but no more and since then, I have no interest in getting surgery to "cure" my deafness. I have finally accepted for who I am.

Good luck on finding that cure.

Hello! in my case I'm severe to profound deaf in both ears too and 3 months ago I had cochlear implant sugery in my right ear....
My advice to you is to go to a doctor and let him/her to tell you what are the chances for you to have a cochlear implant...
Remember one thing, no matter what everybody says about this. The important thing here is want do you really want!
Best of luck!

Hello! in my case I'm severe to profound deaf in both ears too and 3 months ago I had cochlear implant sugery in my right ear....
My advice to you is to go to a doctor and let him/her to tell you what are the chances for you to have a cochlear implant...
Remember one thing, no matter what everybody says about this. The important thing here is want do you really want!
Best of luck!
:gpost:

I am fixing to have my surgery to get implants. Can you maybe tell me what to expect and what to do?

You are not allowed to make multiple threads on the same topic.

Again, I don't think that is possible. I also have auditory nerves damaged.

Same here I have auditory nerves damaged and I would not have an operation .
I could end up losing the little hearing I do have...

Speak with a doctor about your options: there's always hope, so don't let anyone discourage you. While there's nothing that can be done to fix the nerves, there are a slew of hearing aids out there that may have a profound impact on what you can hear so keep trying. And, if your doctor agrees you're a candidate and you want to pursue it, a CI - but do try the hearing aids first. You'd be surprised what a good model of digitals and an audi can do for you. Best of luck!

Laura

Back