Omg I Am So Sorry!!! I Was Repeating Qhat I Was Told>

dreamchaser

Reaction score
God I feel terrible. I thought that the term dummied down was to water stuff down. I just used the exact words that I was told.

I hope you know that I respect all people as who they are. I dearly love my Deaf friends and the Deaf community.

I had an email from someone who was telling exactly what I wrote about classes being of less quality for Deaf kids. I am thinking that it just depends on the school. But that is why I was wondering if it were true.

some people were telling me that they weren't getting access to all of the stuff that hearing kids got, and that made me mad, so I tought I would ask if it were true in other places.

AGAIN... I am so sorry... FOOT IN MOUTH<<< HEART IN HAND

Dont worry about it...I have heard of that phrase in the Deaf community often. The "dumbing down of the curriculm". It is more widely used than many people realized and most people dont take offense to it. Your title was a question not a statement so u were asking an innocent question.

It was "dummied down" and I have already made up with her. I flew off the handle a little from a long lifetime of putting up with insults.If she had said "dumbed down" I would have just been silently upset.

dreamchaser ...

True with what Botti said regarding the word 'dumb' being used a lot over the years ... this very word gets our dander up! Also agree with Shel, you were only asking an innocent question. We know you are trying to cram everything all at once by being an advocate for the deaf. :) Nothing to forgive. :hug:

Innocent mistake, not an attempt to offend or be insensitive. All is well.

dreamchaser ...

True with what Botti said regarding the word 'dumb' being used a lot over the years ... this very word gets our dander up! Also agree with Shel, you were only asking an innocent question. We know you are trying to cram everything all at once by being an advocate for the deaf. :) Nothing to forgive. :hug:

Thanks Ozzie, I hate to admit my weaknesses, but I had a bad experience already in a store this morning to explain what I wanted to a clerk, so I was kind of ready to be insulted and get mad.(Tomorrow I may be perfect)

Thanks guys. It is stories like Botties that makes me so hurt and mad that I can't help but look for solutions for the ignorance and wrong attitudes.

I appreciate and love you guys so much. Help me to lend me any strength I have, and maybe together, with about a million others, we can change the world for the kids to come... :)

Back