Official AllDeaf Switched At Birth Discussion [tv show on abc family]

It's also confusing considering season 1 is on DVD!

Obviously it'll be re-released with all 32 episodes on DVD and possibly Blu-ray? Actually I don't think any programs on ABC Family have high def releases. Which is pretty lame.

I don't have the technical know-how or the inside knowledge to be able to do this, but Alex, I think it's an awesome idea. Could you do it?
I do have a regular blog that isn't one of the big dogs, but I do get nearly 2,000 hits a day. I'd be more than willing to do what I can to send traffic your way, or collaborate on a guest post or just post what you have to say, or whatever.

Just getting back to this. Personally, I am more than satisfied with what the show is doing in regards to representing D/deafness. I'm not saying creating some sort of blog to provide feedback and critiques for the show is a bad idea, but I don't feel motivated enough to do it myself, and it's certainly not something I would do for free. That sort of critiquing is invaluable for a writing team, and since this is a for-profit television show, I hardly feel like I should donate my time. They're already getting tons of good ideas from this bulletin board. I am positive of that.

My comments regarding writing for the show are primarily tonge-in-cheek. They could very well already have a Deaf writer on the staff, or at least advising them. I do know that the show already has a couple Deaf people on the staff to make sure ASL is accurately portrayed and to teach it to the actors. There is room for improvement, but overall I give them good marks on this aspect of the show.

I saw a few taped shows recently, and all I can say is that we are NOT emotionally fragile as portrayed. :P

I saw a few taped shows recently, and all I can say is that we are NOT emotionally fragile as portrayed. :P

Yes, but then not all of us are teenage girls going through the angst of adolescence either. ;)

Just getting back to this. Personally, I am more than satisfied with what the show is doing in regards to representing D/deafness. I'm not saying creating some sort of blog to provide feedback and critiques for the show is a bad idea, but I don't feel motivated enough to do it myself, and it's certainly not something I would do for free. That sort of critiquing is invaluable for a writing team, and since this is a for-profit television show, I hardly feel like I should donate my time. They're already getting tons of good ideas from this bulletin board. I am positive of that.

My comments regarding writing for the show are primarily tonge-in-cheek. They could very well already have a Deaf writer on the staff, or at least advising them. I do know that the show already has a couple Deaf people on the staff to make sure ASL is accurately portrayed and to teach it to the actors. There is room for improvement, but overall I give them good marks on this aspect of the show.

Um, AFAIK, TV review blogs aren't done for free. The writers do it for the advertising dollars and probably to build up their portfolio. Most of them probably do it for the latter reasons and not the former as I suspect most people don't make much in the way of advertising dollars.

Here's an example of a blogger who did some recaps on Terra Nova:
Terra Nova Recaps - Episode Guide | TV | EW.com

But if you seriously want to be a scriptwriter -- perhaps its a good idea NOT to put out a blog that critiques TV shows. That is possible -- this isn't my area of expertise.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQwE0EjG0Uo]Switched At Birth : Emmett Arrested and Handcuffed - YouTube[/ame]

January 10, 2012's episode show Emmett Bledsoe (Sean Berdy) arrested and handcuffed by a policeman. This character is Deaf and he was blinded by bright lights, and unable to hear the commands. He was trying to gesture to a policeman that he is unable to hear, but got arrested and handcuffed. What you see is *NOT* uncommon. It happens ALL OF THE TIME among the Deaf Community.

Deaf World as Eye See It » Blog Archive » Switched At Birth: Emmett Arrested and Handcuffed

I was just curious who Emmett's Daddy?? :hmm:

We haven't seen him, but in one episode Emmett's mom tells Daphne's mom that she and her husband are splitting up. In the episode where his mom tells she objects to him being with a hearie because those relationships do not work, he says, basically, "So? Neither did yours and dad's, and you are both deaf."

I hope they show something of him soon.

Switched At Birth : Emmett Arrested and Handcuffed - YouTube

January 10, 2012's episode show Emmett Bledsoe (Sean Berdy) arrested and handcuffed by a policeman. This character is Deaf and he was blinded by bright lights, and unable to hear the commands. He was trying to gesture to a policeman that he is unable to hear, but got arrested and handcuffed. What you see is *NOT* uncommon. It happens ALL OF THE TIME among the Deaf Community.

Deaf World as Eye See It » Blog Archive » Switched At Birth: Emmett Arrested and Handcuffed

Yet another example of how this show is exposing common, but serious, deaf issues and concerns to a hearing audience that would otherwise remain ignorant. :applause:

Teen-age girl, just found out she's been switched at birth AND her mother knew it and did not tell her, AND her dad, who left when he found out she was deaf, is now back adn wants a relationship with her real hearing father.

That's a recipe for emotional fragility.

Regarding the show, I don't think that's why her dad left, and we did get a scene where he tells the mother that she's not being fair, he tried to come back and be involved with Daphne (even though he knew she wasn't his, and he thought it was because her mother cheated on him), but she wouldn't let him. But Daphne doesn't know that yet.

I was just curious who Emmett's Daddy?? :hmm:

That is an excellent question. SAB writers, take note! Since Emmet has become one of the key selling points of the show, I'm sure this will be explored soon.

You can make good money from blogging, especially if you have a good niche.
I'm too ADD to be able to stick to a niche, but I make enough money to pay rent on a small apartment in a low rent district. Unfortunately, I don't live in a small apartment.:giggle:

Still, it helped us pay off our van several years early.

Even if there's no advertisements, a blogger can make decent spending money from affiliate links at Amazon. I mean, it's not huge, but it is helpful, and if you're big enough, it can be huge.

I just think there might be enough general interest in a well written blog by somebody in the deaf community to make it worth somebody's while to take the idea and run with it and write - not just about the show, but about Deaf/deaf/HOH issues, with the show making a great tie-in.

I'd do it, and I may run out a few posts anyway, but it doesn't really feel right, you know? I'd rather say what I want to say and link to somebody with more authenticity saying more. If it's just me, it'd be like a white person writing about what it's like to be black.

You should probably re-think if you've got incentive to build an audience. This guy started out what was a simple feedback for House, and its became the all go to reference for anything House MD related. Saw/started reading with him since season 1, sorta died off the past few years as I don't keep up with house anymore.One thing for certain: he's bound to have a high traffic website = free $$
Medical Reviews of House

I seconded Alex's applause!

I know there are some polices are actually trained for deal with deaf and hard of hearing people: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSKZHZdflmc]First Responder Communication with Deaf and Hard of Hearing Citizens - YouTube[/ame]

I think it is only happened in Washington, unless I could be wrong.

EDIT: I forget to say something. I think it could do with illegal art, his billboard, maybe? Something is not legal that you can get arrested for it.

[FONT=&quot]Thank you all for the warm welcome! I’m so happy to be here and talk about the show with you all. The show casts both deaf and hearing actors so you get a nice mix, plus it’s great that all the hearing actors are taking the time to learn ASL as well. We really think the show will bring to light some important issues in the deaf community! What would you all most like to see in the series? Have you checked out any of the promos yet? [/FONT]

Friendly remind to the film need to distance their sign language. I am very disappointed that they cutter off Melody s ASL. The audience needs to seeing Emmett and Melody s sign language. Daphne needs more signer than oral method.

Thank You

I will let you know about the captions as soon as I found out more about them. In the meantime, you can always check out some of the blog posts here to see some great pictures and read up on the show. You can also follow the Twitter handle @ABCFsab to get the latest updates from the network and the stars themselves! I can tell you already that the show looks great! I know I personally cannot wait. Would love to hear what you all think of the concept.

I am disappointed that the film was behide Melody s back while she sign language. :(

Switched At Birth : Emmett Arrested and Handcuffed - YouTube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cFv2nWhJYs&sns=em]Switched at Birth 1x13 Sneek Peek #2 - YouTube[/ame]

Your daughter is very talented. :) About the water pump -- Wow! For serveral reasons --

* it's still working
* it belonged to your great-grandmother
* I'm assuming your family is still in the same area? I'm not even sure exactly where my grandmothers lived and I can't tell you what city my great-grandmothers lived in! (My parents knew, but they would only tell me. They refused to write down the city names. :roll: )

My family are original homesteaders to our area- my mother still owns the farm that was given to my great-great-something-grandfather for being a soldier in the war of 1812. But my mom left the area in the fifties and only came back for visits. I also only came here for visits until 8 years ago. My favorite uncle was sick, we were planning on moving here to help him. He died abruptly (90 days before I was due to arrive here), but left me the property.

So after living in three countries and at least ten different states, now I live one mile from the original family homestead, and one mile from the cemetery where that farmer is buried. Ironic, and strange to me to think we won't be moving again. I have never lived in any house more than five years until now. It feels weird.

Interesting that your family would not tell you what city your great-grandmothers lived in. Why is that?

So.... about the thread. I think I will start blogging about the show Switched at Birth once in a while, but I wish somebody with more inside knowledge and credibility was doing it instead, and I could link to them and send my readers their way.
Will it be offensive if I incorporate ideas and things I've learned from this thread and from AllDeaf into my posts?

Back