'Off-grid' couple faces hearing to regain custody of 10 children

And to note: the mother is pregnant with #11....Believe me, I love big families as I had one myself...but we were poor...and feel it's perfectly OK to have a lot of children if you can adequately provide for them.....In this case...don't feel the children were...and wondering if they are on state assistance too?

And again, seems donations are being taken up for the mother to have a dog grooming business?...How can she manage this with 10 kids, and one on the way...school 10 kids at home, provide food 3 times a day, etc., etc.??...and wondering what "j-o-b" the father had?....

makes me wonder if she will run the dog grooming business out of her home.. she just needs the equipment etc to get started. If she does that I do hope she considers a better place than what they have now... I'm not sure I'd leave my poor pet at a place like this and with 10.. err.. 11 kids running around. Was trying to figure out how old the kids are... looks like maybe 13-15 on down to infant.

‘Off-the-Grid’ Parents Lose Custody of 10 Kids

Following a Monday court hearing, a Kentucky couple living what they call a “simple, back-to-basics life” in a rural, off-the-grid shack has lost custody, at least temporarily, of their 10 children. Joe and Nicole Naugler — who are expecting an 11th child in October — will remain under investigation by the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS), while their kids, ranging in age from 3 months to 15 years old, will stay in the agency’s custody.

“Although we are sad our children will not be returned to us today, we have nothing to hide,” Joe Naugler wrote on the family’s Facebook page, Blessed Little Homestead. “We have cooperated with all requests made to us by CHFS and will continue to do so. We are confident that throughout this process, Nicole and I will be shown to be the good parents that we are and that our family will be reunited.”

The court’s decision came several days after authorities removed the children from their home, following an anonymous police complaint about the family’s living conditions — which allegedly include residing under a crude tarp construction, having no heat or running water, and having no septic system (which the Nauglers dispute). But many of their supporters believe they’re being targeted for their lifestyle, which includes living off the power grid, birthing children at home, and relying on “unschooling,” which is a less structured approach to homeschooling.

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/off-the-grid-parents-lose-custody-of-10-kids-118797263547.html

Authorities can't win. If they take custody of the kids, it's unlawful kidnapping. If they don't do anything it's dereliction of duty, especially if something bad happens to even one of the kids.

They're also stuck with how to question the children. How do authorities question children about possible abuse if the parents are always present? In those cases, don't they assign a guardian ad litem to protect the children's rights during questioning?

Kids will not always say anything against their parents when asked if they're being abused by them. So that kind of put the police in a bind too and they'll have to use their best judgment . I would hope there would be
a guardian for the kids if their parents are not allowed in the room . But I am thinking kids are not going to feel comfortable saying anything against
their parents in a room full of strangers if they're are being abuse.

American tax dollors going into parents pockets so I think American tax payers has the right to question a system that failing these kids...God forbid if these ten kids each have ten kids of there own make sure no six toe kids

Back