Odd texting grammar

That is very interesting.

I think so too. When you mentioned top down processing, it occurred to me that this was exactly how I was taught to read Braille.

I also wanted to mention that when I learned how to spell, I was required to write my spelling lists in Grade I and Grade II Braille so that my teacher could see where I was making my mistakes. This also allowed me to understand how to type words in full on a print keyboard.

For example, if I were asked to spell the word "people," I would spell it
"p-e-o-p-l-e" (Grade I) and then write beside it "p." (Grade II)

I'm glad I was taught to spell this way because when I started learning how to type in 7th grade on a typewriter (remember those? :)), I had to remember to spell out each word instead of using short form words and contractions.

When a blind child or adult learns Braille, they learn various contractions or short form words. Examples of contractions are "prefixes" like "dis" "st" and "ar" while word endings include "ing" "tion" and "ation."

If I read the word stationary, I "see" the word in the following way:
"st" "ation" "ary."

The same is true for short form words like "the" "that" "can" "do" "people" "knowledge" and "have."

Short form words are one way of making Braille alot easier (and faster) to read because instead of words being spelled out individually, they are given specific signs that allow a blind person to read them as one character rather than several individual letters.

Thank you so much for that explanation. Despite having worked with blind students, and having had a blind roommate years ago, my knowlege of Braille is lacking. My students now use books on tape, and I have one that uses a Braille calculator. Thanks to screen readers, etc, we don't see a lot of Braille. My old roommate taught me to read just enough to cheat at cards with her (she had her deck Brailled, lol.)

Thank you so much for that explanation. Despite having worked with blind students, and having had a blind roommate years ago, my knowlege of Braille is lacking. My students now use books on tape, and I have one that uses a Braille calculator. Thanks to screen readers, etc, we don't see a lot of Braille. My old roommate taught me to read just enough to cheat at cards with her (she had her deck Brailled, lol.)

:lol:

What kind of Braille calculator does your student use? The reason I ask is because I've always wanted to purchase one for myself, but unfortunately, they are no longer being manufactured.

The only other alternative for a deafblind person or a blind person who does not wish to use a talking calculator is an abacus. I learned how to use an abacus in kindergarten, but that was in 1976 and I've long forgotten everything. :giggle:

I do have a cubarithm slate which allows me to make mathematical computations by placing individual "dice" that contain Braille numerals.

You can read more about the cubarithm slate here:

http://www.fredshead.info/2005/11/instructions-for-cubarithm-slate.html

I think it's sad that Braille isn't used as much as it used to be before personal computers became available. As you said, alot of blind people now rely on screen readers and books on tape.

I can't read books on tape because they put me to sleep -- although I used to love reading them as a child and teenager. :)

When it comes to reading, I prefer ordering books in Braille from the NLS (National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped) or surfing the Internet.

:lol:

What kind of Braille calculator does your student use? The reason I ask is because I've always wanted to purchase one for myself, but unfortunately, they are no longer being manufactured.

The only other alternative for a deafblind person or a blind person who does not wish to use a talking calculator is an abacus. I learned how to use an abacus in kindergarten, but that was in 1976 and I've long forgotten everything. :giggle:

I think it's sad that Braille isn't used as much as it used to be before personal computers became available. As you said, alot of blind people now rely on screen readers and books on tape.

I can't read books on tape because they put me to sleep -- although I used to love reading them as a child and teenager. :)

When it comes to reading, I prefer ordering books in Braille from the NLS (National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped) or surfing the Internet.

Yeah, my old roommate had to order all of her text books from NLS...volumes and volumes for just one text! Now I get my students books on CD or tape. Gail (my old roommate) also used an abacus. She used to amaze me with it. She could come up with an answer faster than i could with a calculator.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what kind of calculator the student I referred to uses. It is his own personal one, and I never paid any attention to the brand. I figured if we needed to supply one for him, I would just ask him what he wanted, and purchase that. It is probably 10" long and 5" wide, and is in a blue and black canvas case. That's the best I can do, lol. He, BTW, is studying to be a meteorologist.

Yeah, my old roommate had to order all of her text books from NLS...volumes and volumes for just one text! Now I get my students books on CD or tape. Gail (my old roommate) also used an abacus. She used to amaze me with it. She could come up with an answer faster than i could with a calculator.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what kind of calculator the student I referred to uses. It is his own personal one, and I never paid any attention to the brand. It is oblong shaped, probably 10" long and 5" wide, and is in a blue and black canvas case. That's the best I can do, lol. He, BTW, is studying to be a meteorologist.

FYI, I added some information to my last post about the cubarithm slate which I use to make mathematical computations.

I know what you mean about Braille books containing alot of volumes. One of the first Braille books I ever ordered from the NLS was "Christine" by Stephen King and it consisted of 22 Braille volumes! :shock:

I really enjoyed using the abacus and if someone is good at it like Gail was, they can make computations faster than a person who is using a calculator. :)

I think it's awesome that the student you mentioned who uses a Braille calculator is studying meteorology. :D How does he get around the problem of understanding geographical maps and graphical information? Does he use a reader and/or Braille maps?

FYI, I added some information to my last post about the cubarithm slate which I use to make mathematical computations.

I know what you mean about Braille books containing alot of volumes. One of the first Braille books I ever ordered from the NLS was "Christine" by Stephen King and it consisted of 22 Braille volumes! :shock:

I really enjoyed using the abacus and if someone is good at it like Gail was, they can make computations faster than a person who is using a calculator. :)

I think it's awesome that the student you mentioned who uses a Braille calculator is studying meteorology. :D How does he get around the problem of understanding geographical maps and graphical information? Does he use a reader and/or Braille maps?

He uses both a reader, and Braille maps.

I forgot to tell you...he asked me the other day when we were working on his Fall schedule, if he could take ASL as his foreign language! I told him "Sure. We'll just need to get you a tactile terp." I really hope that he follows through with it. I thought it was so cool that he wanted to challenge himself that way.

I forgot to tell you...he asked me the other day when we were working on his Fall schedule, if he could take ASL as his foreign language! I told him "Sure. We'll just need to get you a tactile terp." I really hope that he follows through with it. I thought it was so cool that he wanted to challenge himself that way.

That's awesome! :D

If he has any questions about using a tactile terp, let me know because I'd be more than happy to answer them. I've been using tactile sign since 1995, so I can share some techniques for learning ASL tactually.

That's awesome! :D

If he has any questions about using a tactile terp, let me know because I'd be more than happy to answer them. I've been using tactile sign since 1995, so I can share some techniques for learning ASL tactually.

If he decides to add the ASL to his schedule, I will certainly ask him if he would like to chat with you about it. He asked me how it would work, and I told him that we would just have to get the Helen Keller thing going for him. Lucily, he knows me well, and has a good sense of humor, so he wasn't offended.

I consider it bad manners to criticize anyone's writing style. I know one hearing AD poster who has problems with her grammar but I've never criticized her grammar.

I, being an editor, would find it refreshing if someone sent me constructive criticism on my writing.

I, being an editor, would find it refreshing if someone sent me constructive criticism on my writing.

Ok then. I believe your post would be more understandable if it was phrased thus:

"Being an editor, I would find it refreshing if someone sent me constructive criticism on my writing.":P

( Just teasing, but I didn't want you to think we would ignore your requests. )

I'm sorry, but I don't know what kind of calculator the student I referred to uses. It is his own personal one, and I never paid any attention to the brand. I figured if we needed to supply one for him, I would just ask him what he wanted, and purchase that. It is probably 10" long and 5" wide, and is in a blue and black canvas case. That's the best I can do, lol. He, BTW, is studying to be a meteorologist.

a blind meteorologist??? amazing... it is indeed a very challenging feat as meteorology field is usually graphic-intensive. KUDO TO HIM! he probably can make a MUCH BETTER predictions than these useless weathermen since his 4 senses are much more honed. oh btw - the calculators that students are using nowadays... most of them use TI calculator.

and yes you're right - people can perform complex calculation with abacus lot faster than with calculator. My parents have used it a lot in their youth. You should have seen elementary students in India and China using it. it's insane....

a blind meteorologist??? amazing... it is indeed a very challenging feat as meteorology field is usually graphic-intensive. KUDO TO HIM! he probably can make a MUCH BETTER predictions than these useless weathermen since his 4 senses are much more honed. oh btw - the calculators that students are using nowadays... most of them use TI calculator.

and yes you're right - people can perform complex calculation with abacus lot faster than with calculator. My parents have used it a lot in their youth. You should have seen elementary students in India and China using it. it's insane....

I've seen videos of Chinese students performing calculus equations on an abacus. It made me dizzy their fingers were flying so fast!:giggle:

he probably can make a MUCH BETTER predictions than these useless weathermen since his 4 senses are much more honed.

Actually, that's a misconception sighted people have about the blind. Our senses are no better than someone who can see. We just know how to use them appropriately to obtain the information we need about our environment.

Ok then. I believe your post would be more understandable if it was phrased thus:

"Being an editor, I would find it refreshing if someone sent me constructive criticism on my writing.":P

( Just teasing, but I didn't want you to think we would ignore your requests. )

Lol, :P

Back