Odd texting grammar

That is quite possible. She could be mixing the syntaxes. That makes it more difficult to understand. Sometimes you have to break it down word for word, and think of the concept that single word could apply to. We have a poster here who is very ASL based, but doesn't write in exact ASL or English syntax. Sometimes, I just have to forget syntax, and try to visualize concept to understand.

That does make sense to me.

That does make sense to me.

Good! Sometimes these things are difficult to explain! I've been doing it so long that it has become automatic, and I have to stop and think about the process I go through.

Yeah, I was using the simplest, most common example I could think of. But the same process works with understanding all ASL phrasing, because in order to understand it, you have to think of the visual equivilent rather than the English word equivilent.

When I read Smithr's posts, I have to think like that.

That is quite possible. She could be mixing the syntaxes. That makes it more difficult to understand. Sometimes you have to break it down word for word, and think of the concept that single word could apply to. We have a poster here who is very ASL based, but doesn't write in exact ASL or English syntax. Sometimes, I just have to forget syntax, and try to visualize concept to understand.

I think I know who the poster is. I have to do that with his posts. When someone writes in pure ASL or English, it's easier to understand.

When I read Smithr's posts, I have to think like that..

When I read Travis' posts, I look at each word individually and then form a basic meaning out of what has been written.

For example, if Travis were to discuss a health problem he is having, he might use the words "I," "sick" and "doctor" which allows me to know that he is talking about not feeling well and having to see a doctor.

Note: This is not a criticism of Travis. I am only pointing out the way I interpret his posts. I respect his writing style and am not faulting him in any way.

Note: This is not a criticism of Travis. I am only pointing out the way I interpret his posts. I respect his writing style and am not faulting him in any way.

I consider it bad manners to criticize anyone's writing style. I know one hearing AD poster who has problems with her grammar but I've never criticized her grammar.

I consider it bad manners to criticize anyone's writing style. I know one hearing AD poster who has problems with her grammar but I've never criticized her grammar.

I agree.

I had a 7th and 11th grade Honors English teacher who used to be very strict when it came to grammar and punctuation. Even after 20 years, I can still hear them say "Sloppy writing is indicative of a sloppy mind" and "If you can't write anything that is worth reading, don't write anything at all." I always try to remind myself of how I felt back then before I criticize others. Not all of us can be grammarians and English professors.

Only one?:giggle: Hearies are not exempt from grammar errors, spelling errors, or contextual errors. Contrary to popular belief, LOL. I know I make my share.

I know one HoH ADer who corrects other people's posts and if truth be told, it irks me.

I agree.

I had a 7th and 11th grade Honors English teacher who used to be very strict when it came to grammar and punctuation. Even after 20 years, I can still hear them say "Sloppy writing is indicative of a sloppy mind" and "If you can't write anything that is worth reading, don't write anything at all." I always try to remind myself of how I felt back then before I criticize others. Not all of us can be grammarians and English professors.

And, you know, sometimes a little purposeful grammar error helps to get the point across!

I know one HoH ADer who corrects other people's posts and if truth be told, it irks me.

I put one grammar nazi on ignore over at World of Warcraft after he made fun of my grammar . He made fun ofother people's grammar as well so I'm sure others put him on ignore as well. I simply told him I came to World of Warcraft to relax and it isn't English class. It irks me when people make fun of my grammar and I'm a straight A student in English class and I'm the only deaf one there.

Only one?:giggle: Hearies are not exempt from grammar errors, spelling errors, or contextual errors. Contrary to popular belief, LOL. I know I make my share.

Lol.. you've got a point there. I didn't have you in mind when i said that..

I put one grammar nazi on ignore over at World of Warcraft after he made fun of my grammar . He made fun ofother people's grammar as well so I'm sure others put him on ignore as well. I simply told him I came to World of Warcraft to relax and it isn't English class. It irks me when people make fun of my grammar and I'm a straight A student in English class and I'm the only deaf one there.

Just tell him that "Ready to serve." isn't proper grammar, either. It's a partial phrase, not an entire sentence. And it is used constantly in WOW!

Just tell him that "Ready to serve." isn't proper grammar, either. It's a partial phrase, not an entire sentence. And it is used constantly in WOW!

I don't remember seeing that phrase there... I must be interacting with the wrong people.

You should be proud of that accomplishment deafskeptic. :)

And you're right. Playing WoW isn't about grammar. It's about enjoying yourself and having a good competion online.

Now that I think of it, I cringe at the thought of how I used to be back in high school. My teachers used to call me "Little Miss Dictionary" because I had excellent spelling skills. I don't mention that to brag; only to point out that because of this, I oftentimes criticized others for their spelling mistakes. When I look back on my behavior, I'm embarrassed I acted this way because it was stupid and immature. :(

I also used to flaunt my vocabulary by using large words. What's ironic is that instead of looking smart, I probably was thought of as being ignorant (and rightfully so).

I cannot stand the texting grammar of many to be honest. It mostly looks like jibberish. My sister is the biggest offender I know, this is how she types her messages:

I cnt stnd txt gramr tbh. mstly lok lk jibberish... normally followed by my reply: ??

It gets even more incoherent...

One thing that does irritate me greatly is when people write posts or e-mails that are devoid of punctuation. It makes their writing very difficult to read.

I hate long posts/email without paragraph breaks. It's difficult for me to read them and I tend to lose focus.

Back