Obama supports Mosque at Ground Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, you are right about majority need over 50%.

Under 50% isn't majority.

From what I understand, there is already a Mosque at this location and it has been there for decades. Building the community center is simply an expansion.

Obama throws support behind controversial Islamic center - CNN.com

As an American, I totally agree with Obama that freedom of religion in America should be "unshakeable". Any American can practice their religion, anywhere and at anytime. Or, on the other hand, are free to NOT worship.

This mosque being built 3 blocks from ground zero really does not bother me. If the builders have all the legal permits, the purchase of private property was legal, then there is nothing to really discuss. Muslims have the right to practice their religion in America, anywhere and at anytime.

The only problem I have is that the Imam who is responsible for purchasing and building this mosque. made claims that he supports terrorism. That, to me, seems provocative. I now view the building of this "peaceful" mosque in a different light. Property was offered to this Imam if he would build the mosque elsewhere and he refused.

Just know this. This mosque is an intentional provocative message to all Americans. Naming it "House of Cordoba" is part of that message. It is being built to intentionally insult Americans. It is not being built to build bridges with the community (there are 100 different mosques in New York).

But, America is all about freedom. New Yorkers are perfectly free to build BBQ Pork restaurants all around this mosque. They are free to put in a Muslim themed gay bar across the street. Street vendors are free to sell pork hotdogs right up to where the property line surrounds this mosque.

New Yorkers are free to plaster every square inch around this mosque with pictures of 9/11 victims, pictures of individuals "punished" under Islamic law (decapitations, stoning, havine ears, nose cut off, eyes gouged out, etc.).

You might think I am trying to be hateful. No, I want peace with the Muslims. They need to extend the olive branch first.
Muslims can start by being sensitive to the families who lost loved ones in the 9/11 attack.

:laugh2: That is the biggest bunch of crap you have spewed for a while.:lol:

From what I understand, there is already a Mosque at this location and it has been there for decades. Building the community center is simply an expansion.

Yep, another case of jumping to conclusions without all the information necessary. Seems to be a habit.

:laugh2: That is the biggest bunch of crap you have spewed for a while.:lol:

Tell me about it. And poor assessment of international politics.

The conflict in the Middle East needs to be resolved first before any olive branches will be extended to the superpowers.

Tell me about it. And poor assessment of international politics.

The conflict in the Middle East needs to be resolved first before any olive branches will be extended to the superpowers.

And I don't see any being extended from any direction for the OP!:lol:

:hmm:

that I didn't know. Looks like you have exposed the hypocrisy and unfounded fear from you-know-who :lol:

:hmm:

that I didn't know. Looks like you have exposed the hypocrisy and unfounded fear from you-know-who :lol:

From what I can tell, there is a whole lot of misinformation being thrown about regarding this issue, from misrepresenting the project's coordinator as "supporting terrorism" to even the location of the site and the mosque's pre-existing status (no major news sources that I've seen have mentioned the fact that a mosque already exists on the very site of the planned construction). It seems a lot of people have personal agendas, from the news sources to the politicians.

Opponents say they want to prevent suffering by blocking the building, but what they don't realize is that every time they invoke the attacks of 9/11 and use it for political leverage, they are just causing more and more agony for the victims' families and not allowing this rift in our society to heal.

BTW, Mayor Bloomberg also supports the building of the center.

Such a racist thread. I'm outta here.

From what I can tell, there is a whole lot of misinformation being thrown about regarding this issue, from misrepresenting the project's coordinator as "supporting terrorism" to even the location of the site and the mosque's pre-existing status (no major news sources that I've seen have mentioned the fact that a mosque already exists on the very site of the planned construction). It seems a lot of people have personal agendas, from the news sources to the politicians.

Opponents say they want to prevent suffering by blocking the building, but what they don't realize is that every time they invoke the attacks of 9/11 and use it for political leverage, they are just causing more and more agony for the victims' families and not allowing this rift in our society to heal.

BTW, Mayor Bloomberg also supports the building of the center.

Let them build it.....it will be interesting to watch.

What's your source on that? I had read it was at the old Burlinton Coat factory that had to close down after a landing gear fell on it on 9/11. Perhaps there was also a mosque in the same building?

The history associated with the building, a former Burlington Coat Factory store that closed after being damaged on 9/11, was a reason to pick it for the project, she said.

"We want to create a platform by which the voices of the mainstream and silent majority of Muslims will be amplified. A center of this scale and magnitude will do that," Khan said. "We feel it's an obligation as Muslims and Americans to be part of the rebuilding of downtown Manhattan."

Building damaged in 9/11 to be mosque for NYC Muslims - USATODAY.com

Amazing... it shows how ignorant those Republicans are... and so are most of Americans:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/us/politics/15reaction.html

"While the Muslim community has the right to build the mosque they are abusing that right by needlessly offending so many people who have suffered so much. The right and moral thing for President Obama to have done was to urge Muslim leaders to respect the families of those who died and move their mosque away from Ground Zero. Unfortunately the president caved into political correctness."

HAHAHAHA!!! More like he CAVED into the public opinion rather than standing up for the Constitution and that clearly makes him unfit to run the office.

"Mr. Gingrich said the proposed mosque would be a symbol of Muslim “triumphalism” and that building the mosque near the site of the Sept. 11 attacks “would be like putting a Nazi sign next to the Holocaust Museum."

Guilt by association is not helping anything. It's dumbfound ignorance that he display. KKK has terrorized blacks, gays, Catholics, and jews so with that logic that KKK calls itself a Christian organization, we should object to any Christian churches being set up.

John Boehner, the Ohio Republican who is the House minority leader, said: “The American people certainly don’t support it,” Mr. Boehner said.

Um who cares?!?! So, you rather have the public dictate than the Constitution? Scary.

Those people are scums.

Such a racist thread. I'm outta here.
Islam is not a race.

By the way, while I support the rights of the owners of this property to build whatever they want, I also support Greg Gutfeld's Muslim gay bar planned for next door.

Bridges. Let's build some.

So, the Muslim investors championing the construction of the new mosque near Ground Zero claim it's all about strengthening the relationship between the Muslim and non-Muslim world.

As an American, I believe they have every right to build the mosque - after all, if they buy the land and they follow the law - who can stop them?

Which is, why, in the spirit of outreach, I've decided to do the same thing.

I'm announcing tonight, that I am planning to build and open the first gay bar that caters not only to the west, but also Islamic gay men. To best express my sincere desire for dialogue, the bar will be situated next to the mosque Park51, in an available commercial space.

This is not a joke. I've already spoken to a number of investors, who have pledged their support in this bipartisan bid for understanding and tolerance.

As you know, the Muslim faith doesn't look kindly upon homosexuality, which is why I'm building this bar. It is an effort to break down barriers and reduce deadly homophobia in the Islamic world.

The goal, however, is not simply to open a typical gay bar, but one friendly to men of Islamic faith. An entire floor, for example, will feature non-alcoholic drinks, since booze is forbidden by the faith. The bar will be open all day and night, to accommodate men who would rather keep their sexuality under wraps - but still want to dance.

Bottom line: I hope that the mosque owners will be as open to the bar, as I am to the new mosque. After all, the belief driving them to open up their center near Ground Zero, is no different than mine.

My place, however, will have better music.

For investment information, contact me at dailygut.com
The Daily Gut

I am all for the gay bar too but I don't think it'd make sense economically.

Islam is not a race.

By the way, while I support the rights of the owners of this property to build whatever they want, I also support Greg Gutfeld's Muslim gay bar planned for next door.

Bridges. Let's build some.

The Daily Gut

If he really builds it..... I will invest in it. If they will take investors......

I am all for the gay bar too but I don't think it'd make sense economically.
Maybe so, but it did get the Park 51 people to utter this wonderfully clueless statement with so many levels of irony.

You're free to open whatever you like. If you won't consider the sensibilities of Muslims, you're not going to build dialog
Twitter / Park 51 : .@greggutfeld You're free ...

That is the very point Gutfeld's making and the very reason why they shouldn't do this. How can they possibly build dialogue or bridges or whatever if half the country takes this as a slap in the face?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back