O.J. Simpson Not Getting A Retrial, Nevada Supreme Court Rules

rockin'robin

Reaction score
The Nevada Supreme Court has denied former NFL player O.J. Simpson's request for a retrial on Thursday. Simpson, 68, has served seven of his nine to 33 year sentence after being found guilty in 2008 of masterminding an armed-robbery at a Las Vegas hotel room.

The three-person panel consists of Justices Ron Parraguire, Michael Douglas and Michael Cherry, who released a 16-page order that laid out why they agreed with a lower court to reject Simpson’s request for a retrial, Fox 12 Oregon reports.

''We ... conclude the district court did not err in denying these claims,” the order reads.

In October 2007, Simpson and five other men allegedly broke into a Las Vegas hotel room, resulting in charges of armed-robbery and kidnapping. Simpson argued that he was trying to reclaim his stolen memorabilia but the Nevada jury ruled against him.

Simpson’s representation consists of Las Vegas attorneys Osvaldo Fumo, Thomas Pitaro and Patricia Palm. They argued that Simpson’s original lawyer, Yale Galanter, had mishandled his defense, turning the jury against him by allowing unflattering evidence to be shown.

The order released by the panel disagrees with this; Parraguire writes that “none of the complained-of-evidence was relevant.”

Simpson has also accused Galanter of intentionally botching his defense due to a conflict of interest, claiming that it was Galanter who advised him on how to reclaim his stolen property.

The panel also dismissed this claim, noting that Galanter never advised Simpson to lead a break-in.

The order makes it clear that the judges believe the evidence against Simpson was insurmountable and that his guilty verdict was not due to poor representation.

"There was substantial evidence that he conspired with others to set up the property-recovery plan, including the inveigling of the victims and the use of force,” the judges wrote in the order, according to Courthouse News.

Simpson, while once a celebrated NFL running back, became infamous during one of the most publicized murder trials in U.S. history when he stood accused of murdering his ex-wife, Nicole Brown, and her friend Ronald Goldman. Simpson was found not guilty of the crime, only to be incarcerated over a decade later for his Las Vegas break-in.

Simpson will be eligible for parole in 2017.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/soci...request-retrial-rejected-nevada-supreme-court

92141-OJ-Simpson-wheelchair-flip-gif-avTC.gif

I think he murdered his ex wife. I am glad he is in jail right now.

What a messssssed up situation with that trial for the 1994 murders. If that knife had been brought into light back then, would the outcome have been different?

What a messssssed up situation with that trial for the 1994 murders. If that knife had been brought into light back then, would the outcome have been different?

LA police department is known for corruptions.

It may not possible due to juror's race.

It may not possible due to juror's race.

I'm sure they are capable of making a just decision.

I remember watching the trail and seeing the prosecutors constantly fall into the traps of Cochran and OJ's dream team of lawyers. Take into account the bungled police work and the fumbling prosecution how could you not have doubts as a juror?

When Cochran goaded the prosecution into asking OJ to try on the gloves it was all over. Later they pointed out that OJ had stopped taking anti inflammatory drugs and that he was wearing latex gloves under AND that the glove had been blood soaked and dries several times. (leather shrinks and stiffens) not mention he had been photographed wearing the same type of gloves the day before but the damage had been done. Everyone saw that the gloves didn't fit.

I'm sure they are capable of making a just decision.

I remember watching the trail and seeing the prosecutors constantly fall into the traps of Cochran and OJ's dream team of lawyers. Take into account the bungled police work and the fumbling prosecution how could you not have doubts as a juror?

When Cochran goaded the prosecution into asking OJ to try on the gloves it was all over. Later they pointed out that OJ had stopped taking anti inflammatory drugs and that he was wearing latex gloves under AND that the glove had been blood soaked and dries several times. (leather shrinks and stiffens) not mention he had been photographed wearing the same type of gloves the day before but the damage had been done. Everyone saw that the gloves didn't fit.

Yeah wearing latex gloves under leather gloves would made it harder to put them on. You can see in this photo OJ wasn't able to pull the gloves all the way down , there is still more room in the fingers. If he wasn't wearing the latex gloves he could had gotten the leather gloves on a lot easier
ojgloves.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

I wonder why is this trial is now being talked about here and on the news? That was so long ago.

I wonder why is this trial is now being talked about here and on the news? That was so long ago.
Because potentially key evidence, a knife found on OJ's former property, was recently "discovered". It's a mute point as far as OJ goes as they cannot send him to trial again.

Right...they cannot send him to trial. But even before that, they made that tv show and then had the Dateline interviews of the people involved. It must be b because of the TV show.

They can't try him for murder again but they may be able to charge him with something else.

Right...they cannot send him to trial. But even before that, they made that tv show and then had the Dateline interviews of the people involved. It must be b because of the TV show.
Yeah, FX currently shows new TV series called The People VS OJ Simpson: American Crime Story. I am going to watch the fifth episode today. A&E showed the special called O.J. Speaks: The Hidden Tapes. It was very good. It showed how he lost the civil case. Goldman's lawyer did the great job.

I lived thru the real TV trial once, and that was enough for me.

I hope they deny parole for OJ Simpson.

If they let him out he can resume his search for the real killers.

Back