Nyle DiMarco Joins 'Dancing With the Stars'

I am watching Dancing with the Stars again. The competition is intense! I like to watch Latin dance. Very romantic!

Nyle got the first "10" of the season!! I hope drama does not get worse. I don't want it to affect his performance.
I know, it was such an emotional evening ! He took my breath away❤️ Just phenomenal!

if this subject was talked before I apologize, but I just don't have enough hours in a day to search for everything I wish to,
so I'd like to ask you guys - on the DWTS Nyle once said he was born deaf, he can not hear the music nor feel vibrations BUT
while I am not accusing him of lying - I am not completely convinced if he is not exaggerating.
After all, at a concert hall/arena the music is so blastingly loud it is simply impossible not to feel vibration thru, say,
a glass you are holding in your hand. you don't even have to be deaf to experience this - anyone can.
you can feel the undulating vibrations while holding the glass, even
so I don't really buy that Nyle can't. I think he does can feel something.
Now, I remember our Angel telling us how after her car accident she lost her hearing completely BUT, if memory serves right,
she did heard at the level of an airplane noise, so I figure if that is "completely" then surely Nyle is able to hear a sort of
"somewhere far, far away" deep bass thumping in a super duper loud music studio?.

What is your opinion guys, do you believe he is truly as wood stump ;) deaf
he can not hear not a peep ever nor feel no vibrations never?
I may buy a total deafness, but no vibrations, I find that unlikely.
And what are your experiences at concerts and raves and wherever music is being played at top loud level?

Fuzzy

Does it matter?

Each person is different.

Why pick a fight over whether he can feel vibrations or not? If he can, fine. If not, fine.

I'd believe him. I've known a few deaf who don't hear or for that matter 'feel' anything in their ears. He wouldn't really know since he was born deaf and we don't know what his audiogram looks like.

I've known some people who can't feel vibrations either. All I can feel is the bass thump and that has to be really really really loud.. I don't think the music at DWTS is that loud to be able to feel any sort of vibration... loud for the size of the place but not Rock Festival loud (some of y'all will know what I mean there lol).

We were just discussing him in my ASL class I mentioned...teacher/my friend asked if anyone was watching - I said I had a little. Saw his Tarzan one, too - wow! She and I were the only ones who were faimilar. She explained to the others what he was doing in terms of teaching public about ASL access for Deaf children and Deaf ability.<versus "can't">

I am not picking a fight. It's not even about him at all.
I am genuinely doubtful it is possible not to feel or hear anything at all for any deaf.
Granted, because I am not immersed in deaf culture nor ever was, my contact with deaf people was always limited
but it also wasn't that limited, thanks to my brother.
From those I got to know even the most (born) deaf could either hear of feel something.

Fuzzy

. I don't think the music at DWTS is that loud to be able to feel any sort of vibration... loud for the size of the place but not Rock Festival loud )

maybe not in the TV studio during a live show, but perhaps at the rehearsal studio?

Fuzzy

maybe not in the TV studio during a live show, but perhaps at the rehearsal studio?

Fuzzy

That I don't know. In the filmed segments there was no music (that I could tell anyway)- could be that it was turned off for the filming. But considering Peta is hearing possibility that it wasn't that loud- don't want to damage HER hearing :). The way I saw it it looks like there's a LOT of memorization done on Nyle's part when Peta shows him the steps.. along with subtle tactical cues between them and guessing Nyle does a lot of looking out of the corner of his eyes lol.

Hmm will keep that question in mind when talking to my deaf friends....

if this subject was talked before I apologize, but I just don't have enough hours in a day to search for everything I wish to,
so I'd like to ask you guys - on the DWTS Nyle once said he was born deaf, he can not hear the music nor feel vibrations BUT
while I am not accusing him of lying - I am not completely convinced if he is not exaggerating.
After all, at a concert hall/arena the music is so blastingly loud it is simply impossible not to feel vibration thru, say,
a glass you are holding in your hand. you don't even have to be deaf to experience this - anyone can.
you can feel the undulating vibrations while holding the glass, even
so I don't really buy that Nyle can't. I think he does can feel something.
Now, I remember our Angel telling us how after her car accident she lost her hearing completely BUT, if memory serves right,
she did heard at the level of an airplane noise, so I figure if that is "completely" then surely Nyle is able to hear a sort of
"somewhere far, far away" deep bass thumping in a super duper loud music studio?.

What is your opinion guys, do you believe he is truly as wood stump ;) deaf
he can not hear not a peep ever nor feel no vibrations never?
I may buy a total deafness, but no vibrations, I find that unlikely.
And what are your experiences at concerts and raves and wherever music is being played at top loud level?

Fuzzy
The kind of music that is being played is not the kind that one can really feel through vibrations clearly.

That I don't know. In the filmed segments there was no music (that I could tell anyway)- could be that it was turned off for the filming. But considering Peta is hearing possibility that it wasn't that loud- don't want to damage HER hearing :). The way I saw it it looks like there's a LOT of memorization done on Nyle's part when Peta shows him the steps.. along with subtle tactical cues between them and guessing Nyle does a lot of looking out of the corner of his eyes lol.

Hmm will keep that question in mind when talking to my deaf friends....

Yeah, so maybe that's what he meant - for the sake of Peta's hearing the music is not loud enough for him to hear it or feel vibrations
right then and there, but if otherwise the volume is pumped up enough then perhaps he can?

Certainly I can understand how the level of loudness some deaf require to be able to hear/feel the music may damage
the hearing ear, especially from the prolonged exposure.
I do know about the code system they worked out between them in order for Nyle to remember his steps better.
I think it's amazing he is dancing as great as he is without having (??? yes? no?) a clue about musical rhythm.
I did asked my daughter when they were dancing salsa "can you even tell Nyle is a completely but completely deaf dancer" -
she said yes, I can, there are moments where there is a certain detachment from the music.
but if you didn't tell me why I wouldn't ever figure out what's off.
Then week later we watched Nyle dancing the waltz and she said "wow!, mom, this time he danced so perfect I would never tell he is deaf!"

Fuzzy

Nyles got a little cocky tonight saying he felt that none of the other contestants were any sort of competition for him. One of the judges, Len, did not care for that remark at all.

Nyles got a little cocky tonight saying he felt that none of the other contestants were any sort of competition for him. One of the judges, Len, did not care for that remark at all.
He better tone it down ...getting cocky is not good.

I think it's because he's been in the lead the whole time of this series. But this week he didn't have the highest scores so that might make him tone it down :)

I agree he was not as good last night and that was probably mostly due to that mask he was wearing......makes things really difficult. I'm glad he got some negative remarks from the judges because it can help for next week. Peta will be all over him for it....I think....

It was only a matter of time before you AD ladies mentioned Nyle and cocky in the same sentence. ;)

:eyeroll: Hmm the eyeroll emoticon is gone...:dizzy: Okay then.... See what the ladies say to that up there....

Anyway- yes, he also said he had a tough time because that particular style of dance is fast...very fast so he had some trouble keeping on pace with it- not to mention the mask limiting his vision a little and the dental veneer- both are somewhat uncomfortable (amazed he wore it for the entire show). He accepted the negative criticism with grace and likely knows he needs to chill a bit (even though I didn't care for Val being an ass about Nyle and Peta).

See what happens next week.

Back