Not to stir up a hornet's nest, but I have a question

LesMonster

Reaction score
I've been seeing the term "late-deafened" for a while now and up to now I've always assumed that a l-d person is someone who once had hearing but no longer does. Now I see people mentioning being l-d but can hear with hearing aids (in differing degrees.)

Personally, the only time I can hear high-frequency sounds is with my hearing aids and have been told my ability to hear will deteriorate over time.

Would I be considered hoh (as I think of myself) or l-d, as if there are varying degrees of deafness?

I just say that I have a hearing loss. That covers the whole ballpark from mild to XXXXXX (no response across frequencies).

Seriously, however, I think the line is whether in most situations hearing aids cover the loss well enough that no other strategies, such as lipreading are necessary. That applies to me.

Deaf means that with HA's a person still struggles to understand speech. However, a person who is HoH, but whose hearing is expected to eventually become severe-profound across frequencies can also call themselves deaf. IMHO

I've been seeing the term "late-deafened" for a while now and up to now I've always assumed that a l-d person is someone who once had hearing but no longer does. Now I see people mentioning being l-d but can hear with hearing aids (in differing degrees.)

Personally, the only time I can hear high-frequency sounds is with my hearing aids and have been told my ability to hear will deteriorate over time.

Would I be considered hoh (as I think of myself) or l-d, as if there are varying degrees of deafness?

You mean you are mildly hard of hearing?

Only missing high frequencies when not wearing hearing aids?

Maybe you mean you are late hoh.

Bottesini, my loss is worse in the high frequencies, to a severe loss in my right, moderate in my left. My speech discrimination is 85% with my hearing aids.

You're you. Why is it so important for people to give themselves and each other labels?

Laura

Excellent point. Lau.

However, I do feel like I'm in no man's land - I'm hearing but I'm not.

I'm late deafened...born hearing...then became deaf later in pre-teens....That's the way I see it. If a hearing aid would help me, then I would say I'm HOH....

My hearing tanked about 5 years ago now. I am Deaf. I do Deaf things. I have Deaf habits, I participate in Deaf events. I think what you call yourself is up to you, but it's not totally about how much you can or can't hear, it's more how you live your life and feel about yourself. I do things differently from Hearies.

Hearing Aides won't help me know, but it was when I still wore them, that I realized, "i'm Deaf and no amount of wearing this hearing aide is going to change that now."

Maybe it's a state of mind :)

Who ever dreamed up the terms hearies and deafies????????????? I find both so demeaning. I had never encountered either until I came to the site and still find them irritating every time I read either.

I'm late deafened...born hearing...then became deaf later in pre-teens....That's the way I see it. If a hearing aid would help me, then I would say I'm HOH....

exactly -- that's what late deafened means. Deaf means hearing aid won't help either by choice from hoh people (guys dont blast me on this - you know what I mean by this) or just plain ole fully deaf. HOH means you can hear some sounds or all by varying degrees with or without aids.

I'm late-deafened (starting losing my hearing in my mid-30's). I wear HAs and can hear pretty darn well with them. When not wearing my HAs, I'm more aware of my deafness, of course.

exactly -- that's what late deafened means. Deaf means hearing aid won't help either by choice from hoh people (guys dont blast me on this - you know what I mean by this) or just plain ole fully deaf. HOH means you can hear some sounds or all by varying degrees with or without aids.

I disagree. I am late deafened, and profoundly deaf. Once you get into the profound range, you're deaf. Yes I wear hearings aids, and yes I can "hear" with them. But to understand people I need to see them, I need to read their lips. I can't just read lips either though, I need both the sound input and the visual. When i take my hearings out, I can hear nothing, not even my voice really. So yes, I get use out of my hearing aids, but does any of that really sound Hoh?? I don't think so. No hearing person I know even says I'm Hoh, they says I'm deaf.

Is a person who has severe near-sightedness and refuses to wear glasses considered to be blind?

I disagree. I am late deafened, and profoundly deaf. Once you get into the profound range, you're deaf. Yes I wear hearings aids, and yes I can "hear" with them. But to understand people I need to see them, I need to read their lips. I can't just read lips either though, I need both the sound input and the visual. When i take my hearings out, I can hear nothing, not even my voice really. So yes, I get use out of my hearing aids, but does any of that really sound Hoh?? I don't think so. No hearing person I know even says I'm Hoh, they says I'm deaf.

I know what you are saying -- but like I said before there are varying degrees of hoh. I really dont want to label hoh of anything - but its really a gray area.

For example - some hoh who have same hearing loss as measured by the audiologist - one person might be labeled as deaf but another labeled as of hoh. All because of many variables. can or cannot speak. can or cannot identify certain sounds. or somewhere in middle or near one end of spectrum. I really think its depends on situation and how you perceives yourselves .

Believe me - like for example- we can hear that someone is calling our name, quite often we have issues in hearing conversation but when pulled over for speeding - we are suddenly deaf. Right? You know who you are...:D

I'm profoundly deaf also....but my speech is still intact. I've been accused of faking my deafness because I still speak and read lips so many, many times....and people assume if you can speak, since most deafies born deaf cannot, then you're faking.

Late deafned is when you're not born deaf, but lose it later on....and getting tired of people saying..."Oh, you speak so well!"....and assuming I can hear some....and yelling into one of my ears....

quite often we have issues in hearing conversation but when pulled over for speeding - we are suddenly deaf. Right? You know who you are...
Anxiety contributes. :giggle:

Is a person who has severe near-sightedness and refuses to wear glasses considered to be blind?

Not the same thing. Glasses can generally "fix" poor sight, HAs cannot "fix", but can sometimes improve, poor hearing.

I'm profoundly deaf also....but my speech is still intact. I've been accused of faking my deafness because I still speak and read lips so many, many times....and people assume if you can speak, since most deafies born deaf cannot, then you're faking.
yup ---- same here
..and getting tired of people saying..."Oh, you speak so well!"....and assuming I can hear some....and yelling into one of my ears....

same thing happens to me. grrrrrr

Anxiety contributes. :giggle:

LOL !

I know what you are saying -- but like I said before there are varying degrees of hoh. I really dont want to label hoh of anything - but its really a gray area.

For example - some hoh who have same hearing loss as measured by the audiologist - one person might be labeled as deaf but another labeled as of hoh. All because of many variables. can or cannot speak. can or cannot identify certain sounds. or somewhere in middle or near one end of spectrum. I really think its depends on situation and how you perceives yourselves .

Believe me - like for example- we can hear that someone is calling our name, quite often we have issues in hearing conversation but when pulled over for speeding - we are suddenly deaf. Right? You know who you are...:D
I think when some has profound loss, but a sloping loss, they have better hearing in the high or low frequencies that can get more use from their hearing and it bumps them over into hoh. But if it's a relatively flat loss, profound at all frequencies? Yep, that's deaf. That's how mine is. I have no hearing better than 90 db at any frequency but for most of the audiogram I'm in between 100-110db, and that's my "good" ear.

The bolded part though? nope :giggle: Unless I happen to looking at the person I won't recognize that string of sound was my name, other people have to get my attention ALL the time. If it's just me and another person in the room, I'll here 'something" and look at them, but not because they said my name, they could have said my name I have no idea, I just heard something and since I'm the only person in the room that sound must have been directed at me ;)

Back