Not to stir up a hornet's nest, but I have a question

Last night, I was awakened by someone knocking on my door. I yelled, "I'm sleeping, you can talk to me in the morning." Whoever it was said quite a bit in response, so I got up and opened the door. Now, with being somewhat able to see and hear him, I got the message, it was a cop looking for someone.

Last night, I was awakened by someone knocking on my door. I yelled, "I'm sleeping, you can talk to me in the morning." Whoever it was said quite a bit in response, so I got up and opened the door. Now, with being somewhat able to see and hear him, I got the message, it was a cop looking for someone.

:giggle:

Ambrosia. You need to learn asl. Then ypu can embrace your inner deaf self..

Yes I do :) but my life and work is very entrenched in the hearing world. I've been losing my hearing for close to 20 years, Im well adjusted to the idea. I want to learn it, but it wouldnt help me for work, so I still have to just deal with the hearing I do have. It's a pain in the ass, but not undoable, it. Just is what it is.

I disagree. I am late deafened, and profoundly deaf. Once you get into the profound range, you're deaf. Yes I wear hearings aids, and yes I can "hear" with them. But to understand people I need to see them, I need to read their lips. I can't just read lips either though, I need both the sound input and the visual. When i take my hearings out, I can hear nothing, not even my voice really. So yes, I get use out of my hearing aids, but does any of that really sound Hoh?? I don't think so. No hearing person I know even says I'm Hoh, they says I'm deaf.

I don't think too many people with hearing loss know what anyone is saying unless they look at them. I know I can't. I always need to face them to hear and be able to read lips. I do great with hearing aids and most people don't realize I have them. Without them, I still hear but it's like listening to Charlie Brown's mother: I hear something, not sure what it is....

Laura

I don't think too many people with hearing loss know what anyone is saying unless they look at them. I know I can't. I always need to face them to hear and be able to read lips. I do great with hearing aids and most people don't realize I have them. Without them, I still hear but it's like listening to Charlie Brown's mother: I hear something, not sure what it is....

Laura

You very well could be right. I did fine with only being able to hear out of my right ear. But when I started losing it in my right it progressed agressively! When I first went to the VR about HA I was prob in the moderate range, but by the time I actually got them, like 8 months later I was already in the severe range, so I never had HA's with more milder loss so I have no idea if I could have understood anyone without looking at them.

I myself rarely see deaf. I can use and sign well enough but life is all hearing. Manage well enough to keep myself happy. Use terps though when absolutely necessary. Though even then I lipread the terp and use the signs as cues

Laura

This has been my experience. I hate when people face away from me or cover their mouths. It's especially "fun" when people try to say something to me from the other end of a long hallway at work.

This has been my experience. I hate when people face away from me or cover their mouths. It's especially "fun" when people try to say something to me from the other end of a long hallway at work.

My favorites: people talking to me then turn their back and keep talking.
People yelling and then walking up and down a room.
Trying to hear the doctor talking about the surgery he's about to do and then he suddenly looks down instead of at me.
Trying to understand what I'm being asked by the nurse with the mask on in the OR.
Trying to understand a speaker that walks around without a mic.

My other moment today, my boss was standing besides me for several minutes and I had no clue. She said "you might want to just turn them down (as opposed to off) so you can still hear the announcements (over the intercom)." I replied, "I don't hear that anyway; I certainly don't understand what I hear." Good thing she laughed.

Laura

My husband still talks me me after one of us has left the room. My mother is the worst at putting her hand over her mouth when talking.

I haven't ran into this in awhile but I have a problem understanding people with bad teeth lol. One of two things happen.

1. they're embarrassed by their teeth so the keep their lips over them, they mumblers and it's impossible to read their lips like that when they're not forming words properly.

2. they don't care and I get distracted. The whole time they're talking I'm paying no attention to what they're saying because I'm thinking about their gnarly teeth.

I haven't ran into this in awhile but I have a problem understanding people with bad teeth lol. One of two things happen.

1. they're embarrassed by their teeth so the keep their lips over them, they mumblers and it's impossible to read their lips like that when they're not forming words properly.

2. they don't care and I get distracted. The whole time they're talking I'm paying no attention to what they're saying because I'm thinking about their gnarly teeth.

I probably wouldn't fare much better between the braces and the recovery from chin surgery. BTW, I'm not getting the braces off until "June/July." Thought I was going to drop out of the chair when he told me this....so much for talking clearly - I talk like a stroke victim.....

Laura

I probably wouldn't fare much better between the braces and the recovery from chin surgery. BTW, I'm not getting the braces off until "June/July." Thought I was going to drop out of the chair when he told me this....so much for talking clearly - I talk like a stroke victim.....

Laura

Oh noes!!!! How long have you had them? Braces don't bother me. it's when they've got a whole bunch of half rotten ones, I can't follow. This lady at BK by my house has only 1 tooth in the front and it seems really long and wiggles while she talks, like's it's about to fall out. I have no idea what she says, ever. i just want to pull that one gnarly lonely tooth out.

Oh noes!!!! How long have you had them? Braces don't bother me. it's when they've got a whole bunch of half rotten ones, I can't follow. This lady at BK by my house has only 1 tooth in the front and it seems really long and wiggles while she talks, like's it's about to fall out. I have no idea what she says, ever. i just want to pull that one gnarly lonely tooth out.

:giggle:

Oh noes!!!! How long have you had them?

Since last year, they were put in place for when the doctor planned to break my jaw to correct my bite. The pallet expender which they opened in surgery did that though so I opted just to have the chin reduced. I'll be a full year for the feeling to come back in my chin and bottom lip so I talk like a stroke victim. Hopefully by the time they come off in June/July, I should regain sensation in my chin and will be speaking normally again - and eating big to celebrate.....My sister though will have having her jaw broken in April, including her nose fixed to help her breathe normal. So for at least four weeks (and two cats - making four altogether), we'll be shutting our doors and turning our TVs down to accomodate her....too bad she can't put up in a hotel....

Laura

Back