No Interpreter For Two Months For School!

Vanessa Escalante

Reaction score
I'm a senior in hs and this year I started to really embrace my deafness as a part of me. I've also started to accept that sometimes I need help. Especially with school. I've gotten FM systems and my seat changed in my classes but that not help. I ask for interpreter about three weeks ago and I have not received any word on it! I email about 5 people and call school district about it. I not get call back from anyone. Right now I'm on a school break for two weeks. One week finish today, one more week until go back to school. If I not get interpreter, I will be really mad!!!!!! No one has responded to me or told me anything about what's happening regarding getting one even though they said they'd be able to get me an interpreter. Ugh. School is so hard! Especially with my hearing getting worse.

Were interpreting services included in your IEP? I'm not sure but your timeline of events seems to show that your request for an interpreter came after school was in session.

I hope this can be resolved while you're on school break.

That's odd. What school district are you in? You said you live in SoCal.

I'm a senior in hs and this year I started to really embrace my deafness as a part of me. I've also started to accept that sometimes I need help. Especially with school. I've gotten FM systems and my seat changed in my classes but that not help. I ask for interpreter about three weeks ago and I have not received any word on it! I email about 5 people and call school district about it. I not get call back from anyone. Right now I'm on a school break for two weeks. One week finish today, one more week until go back to school. If I not get interpreter, I will be really mad!!!!!! No one has responded to me or told me anything about what's happening regarding getting one even though they said they'd be able to get me an interpreter. Ugh. School is so hard! Especially with my hearing getting worse.

Since you requested it after the school year started, it might take awhile. You may also need to get your audiologist to write a letter stating that you will need an interpreter. You may also need to get your IEP changed, which could also take time. Right now talk to your teachers and tell them you are having problems because of your hearing loss and they may be able to help you in the interim. Good luck.

Were interpreting services included in your IEP? I'm not sure but your timeline of events seems to show that your request for an interpreter came after school was in session.

I hope this can be resolved while you're on school break.

Yes, happened during school. This is the first year I've really asked for any kind of assistance for school. My school, as far as I know, is doing all they can right now. I hope it can be resolved too!! Thank you :)

They
Since you requested it after the school year started, it might take awhile. You may also need to get your audiologist to write a letter stating that you will need an interpreter. You may also need to get your IEP changed, which could also take time. Right now talk to your teachers and tell them you are having problems because of your hearing loss and they may be able to help you in the interim. Good luck.

I've done all that before we even got the plan started, so I'm not sure if I need to do it again. I've talked to all my teachers but we both dont know what else to do. Just gonna have to wait for a bit!

They

I've done all that before we even got the plan started, so I'm not sure if I need to do it again. I've talked to all my teachers but we both dont know what else to do. Just gonna have to wait for a bit!
You may also need to get a lawyer who specializes in ADA and special ed law.

Re

Really? Why lawyer?
If the school doesn't want to provide one you may have to go to court. A friend of mine had to do it to get the school his son went to provide him everything that was called out in his IEP.

If the school doesn't want to provide one you may have to go to court. A friend of mine had to do it to get the school his son went to provide him everything that was called out in his IEP.

Wow!!! Well, if the school doesn't provide one, I'll definitely have to do that... They've seemed to reach out to at least someone (not sure who) but they not respond yet

Sweetwater, I believe. Idk, I'm new to this area!

Oh, boy. Let me guess you live near Chula Vista. I heard the district had hard time getting terps there for a while, but I hope the problem was fixed. Apparently, it's not. Have your parents contact attorney immediately. Do you live with your parents, right?

Call Deaf Community Services of San Diego. They have information on attorney listing. http://www.deafcommunityservices.org/

There is another option. You could transfer to the school where they provide terps. It may be pain in the butt. I know a few deaf students had to transfer to other schools, so they can access terps.

There is another option. You could transfer to the school where they provide terps. It may be pain in the butt. I know a few deaf students had to transfer to other schools, so they can access terps.
Or maybe a Deaf School?

Or maybe a Deaf School?

My guess is CSD Riverside is about three hours away from where she lives. She said she goes to school in Sweetwater District. It stretches from the border to East.

Back