Needing help

Reaction score
Hey, so a friend of mine is pregnant. And she's Deaf. The father isn't around and her family doesn't know. She asked me for help and we have been talking about it. I'm Hard of Hearing and she was just having questions. What is it going to be like if her baby is hearing? As a young child, say one that can not yet read, how do we reach a point to where they can understand and communicate? I'm sure that it will be easier with the actual experience but she really just wants to be prepared in any way she can and would like some insight from someone who has been there or raised a hearing or Deaf child and you are not.

Just have her teach the kid ASL. Most CODAs learn ASL as a first language....then he can learn to speak via exposure to the greater world.

Just wanted to leave a small comment on this. No parent, knows all the answers up front and understanding what your baby wants when they don't know how to communicate yet is hard. But your friend should indeed just sign to her baby, the baby will pick it up and for him or her ASL will be their first language. When growing up, the baby will pick up hearing languages as well.

And to me any parent should communicate with their children in their first language. You want to feel at ease in the language you use around your kids.

Best of luck for her :)

Just wanted to leave a small comment on this. No parent, knows all the answers up front and understanding what your baby wants when they don't know how to communicate yet is hard. But your friend should indeed just sign to her baby, the

Best of luck for her :)
Excellent post Mieke!!!! No parent has a crystal ball and there's no magical formula for success.

Back