My old hearing aids...

I am wrong? Matter of opinion. It looks a lot different when you are the one being discriminated against. Most of us are living it. You are living vicariously in it, through your child.

What do you really know about deafness, other than it is something you do not want in your family?

I have no qualms standing here and keeping the divide growing exponentially, if it keeps the bias going both ways.
Yes, you are wrong. You are generalising.. That's a bad habit...
"discriminated against."... when.. and why?

"other than it is something you do not want in your family":roll:
It is in my family.. My daughter is deaf. Why would she need to be Deaf..??

What do I need to know about deafness..???

So she can have a POSITIVE exeperiance of what it is like to be Deaf.
Being Deaf is not about being hearing impaired or having the best access to sound/the hearing world. It is about adapting to being dhh by being Sighted,(ie having a lifestyle that is very dependent on using sight, rather then being "hearing impaired) and using Sign.
It's exactly like the way being gay and lesbian was patholized, to the point where it used to be considered a mental illness. Now we have reached the point where a friend of mine (who grew up in an extremely leftie household with a lesbian mom) came out a few years ago, and thought she was going to be gay for life. Then she was freaked out that she fell in love with a boy.
My point is that the deaf/hearing impaired approach ignores the fact that dhh peole are very visual. It's not a psychologically healthy way to raise a kid.
Imagine growing up in a culture that pathologized being a man or being a Dutch speaker. It's the same thing.

So she can have a POSITIVE exeperiance of what it is like to be Deaf.
Being Deaf is not about being hearing impaired or having the best access to sound/the hearing world. It is about adapting to being dhh by being Sighted,(ie having a lifestyle that is very dependent on using sight, rather then being "hearing impaired) and using Sign.
It's exactly like the way being gay and lesbian was patholized, to the point where it used to be considered a mental illness. Now we have reached the point where a friend of mine (who grew up in an extremely leftie household with a lesbian mom) came out a few years ago, and thought she was going to be gay for life. Then she was freaked out that she fell in love with a boy.
My point is that the deaf/hearing impaired approach ignores the fact that dhh peole are very visual. It's not a psychologically healthy way to raise a kid.
Imagine growing up in a culture that pathologized being a man or being a Dutch speaker. It's the same thing.

LOL.. Now we're even using capitals in "Sighted"...
From Deaf, to "Sighted" to "Gay" to "Bisexual" to "not a psychologically healthy way to raise a kid" which is the appearently the same as "being pathologized being a man" or "being a Dutch speaker."

I'm a Dutch speaker. :hmm:
I'm a man. :hmm:
Not gay, or bisexual. :shock:
Raising a child that was born deaf.... :D
Psychologically she's doing fine... or even better... :kiss:

I have no idea what you are on about....

Tell your friend it's about love.. Not gender..

img023.jpg

This is what i had pre phonak superfonts hearing aids. Those box weighed a ton!!! Glad to see the back of it!

Nat, I cannot speak for children, I am an adult CI user, I had my CI implanted 4 years ago (time flew so quick as it seems like yesterday when i had the op) I had incision running 2/3 inches from the head to top of the ear rounding to bottom, I never had problems with rubbing or any thing like that. Seems major for such a small child but if you are able to use I'd go Cloggy's route (with any devices, there are baby worn options) until she is more mature with using her CI's.

Does a parent who fills their child's prescription for glasses, view them as broken? What about parents who give their child orthotics, do they view them as broken?

What does "keeping the divide growing exponentially" actually achieve?

Yes, you are wrong. You are generalising.. That's a bad habit...
"discriminated against."... when.. and why?

"other than it is something you do not want in your family":roll:

What do I need to know about deafness..???

Hearing parents take over a deaf forum, profess their way is better. That is the headline here. Enjoy your site.

Hearing parents take over a deaf forum, profess their way is better. That is the headline here. Enjoy your site.[/QUOTE]

You mean all 3 of us?

All 3 of us who took different approaches?

I haven't seen anyone say their way was better. Perhaps what was most appropriate for their child, but never better than another...

And you didn't answer my question...

Edit to add: I hate to break it to you, but "hearing parents" are in the minority here. In terms of regular posters, the significant majority are DHH.

Hearing parents take over a deaf forum, profess their way is better. That is the headline here. Enjoy your site.[/QUOTE]

You mean all 3 of us?

All 3 of us who took different approaches?

I haven't seen anyone say their way was better. Perhaps what was most appropriate for their child, but never better than another...

And you didn't answer my question...

Edit to add: I hate to break it to you, but "hearing parents" are in the minority here. In terms of regular posters, the significant majority are DHH.

As I said, enjoy your site. I gotta go. I will have more another time.

Does a parent who fills their child's prescription for glasses, view them as broken? What about parents who give their child orthotics, do they view them as broken?

What does "keeping the divide growing exponentially" actually achieve?

fallacious comparisons. apple orange.

how about this? blind children and eye implants? or amputated child and prosthetic leg/wheelchair? or ugly children and plastic surgery?

fallacious comparisons. apple orange.

how about this? blind children and eye implants? or amputated child and prosthetic leg/wheelchair? or ugly children and plastic surgery?
yeh..

I am wrong? Matter of opinion. It looks a lot different when you are the one being discriminated against. Most of us are living it. You are living vicariously in it, through your child.

What do you really know about deafness, other than it is something you do not want in your family?

I have no qualms standing here and keeping the divide growing exponentially, if it keeps the bias going both ways.

How many children do you have?

Are you working and supporting a family?

If you are working, do you work with deaf, hearing, or a mixture?

Back