My Mosin Nagant Project

Steinhauer

Reaction score
I tried to find the gun thread, but after searching 4 pages, after searching, I couldn't find it. Maybe it has been removed? :dunno:

Anyways, sometime at the beginning of this year, I bought a 1943 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant for about $120. These are cheap, but really great rifles. They use the 7.62 x 54r round (used by the Russian military for over 100 years). It looked like this:

20703d1347494883-any-you-c-r-collectors-well-1943-izhevsk-mosin-nagant.jpg

^ Not my picture, but identical to the rifle I purchased (same year, same factory).

The rifle I purchased was made during WWII. For some detailed history on this rifle, please feel free to read Russia and her use of the Mosin Nagant rifle

So ... I had a $120 rifle that can easily be used to hunt big game with. Except, I didn't have a scope. Also, the stock that came with it was too short for me to fire the rifle comfortably. But, I wasn't complaining, it was only $120 :lol:

I also bought 440 rounds of surplus military ammo for about a hundred bucks. Plenty of ammo for cheap cheap cheap.

Sorry, I have to ask - does ammo ever go bad? I've never had any long enough to know.
At what point when buying ammo would you not buy it because of it's age?

That is a pretty weapon. What will you do with it? I

Sorry, I have to ask - does ammo ever go bad? I've never had any long enough to know.
At what point when buying ammo would you not buy it because of it's age?

That is a pretty weapon. What will you do with it? I

it depends on how you store it and how long it's being stored for. If it's being stored in a corrosive environment such as high humidity.... no good. you can simply check its casing for any sign of corrosion. You should be storing it in low/no humidity condition. If that's not possible, you can simply store it in air-tight container (like plastic ammo box) with some desiccant packets inside.

I have thousands of ammo stored in ammo boxes at my storage room and it's probably over a year now. My ammo will fire fine. plus my storage room is climate controlled with low humidity. Long-term storage should be about 3-5 years but not necessarily although you should rotate it with newer one.

I am going to have to either send my bolt off or attempt to bend the bolt handle myself before I can take it to the range. I have a good friend who is a Federal Attorney, that is also a gun enthusiast, and he invited me to try it out at his gun club once it is ready. They have a 1,000 yard target. :D

As far as ammo goes, older military surplus ammo is corrosive. What that means is, if you use the corrosive ammo, you must immediately strip down your firearm and completely clean it after each use or it will get rusty and corrode. Some of the older military surplus ammo will also have tougher primers that sometimes will not fire (like 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo). But since older milsurp ammo is cheap, people will stockpile it once it becomes available. Some military surplus ammo is over 70 years old. You could expect to have several misfires when using that ammo.

I also have a PPS 43C that uses Tokarev Ammo. I try to have several firearms that use the same ammo, just for convenience when I go to the range. However, the milsurp ammo for Tokarev has pretty much dried up. I am glad I bought the ammo when I did, because it might be a long wait before it becomes available again.

I primarily use my firearms just for range target practice. I like learning about the history of each firearm (for example, the PPS 43 was based on a Russian submachine gun that was built in a factory 500 feet away from the front lines in WWII - they were literally handing these guns out the window to waiting Russian soldiers in the fight). I am using my Mosin Nagant as a range gun, and if the groups are tight (if the bullets hit very close to each other at long distance) then I will use it as a deer hunting rifle - as it basically has the same ballistics as a 30-06.

I also have a cousin that lives in Alaska that has invited me to go Moose hunting up there. I do not know what I will need to do to get a permit to hunt there - but if I decide to go, I will not be using the Mosin Nagant. I will, instead, be using my 7mm Remington Mag.

I also eat what I kill. Venison is THE BEST meat out there. They do not sell it in the grocery store either, and if you buy it online, be prepared to spend a lot of $$$$.

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons ....... and go out to the field, and take me venison.

maybe it should be a pumpkin? I have been looking at kitchen cabinet knobs too

Back