My future CI plan

I can tell different music intruments, not the voice yet, I know that there is voice involved but i cannot follow. I need to print some Lyrics and get started on listening to voices.
Yeah my dog's squeaks at high pitch Pre CI i couldn't hear it now i can. also Him Barking! I can hear him walking on tiles also i heard my cat who makes high pitch meow for the first time with CI which is amazing and i had her for 14 years!

Riley hosp had me wait several months for my evaluation also. Then another two months for surgery date. It was about five weeks for my insurance to authorize cochlear implants, but only one. Not two.

The wait is long. I used my time to send away for packages from Cochlear America, Med-El & Advanced Bioincs, join their forums (and this one). At the evaluation they want you to decide which brand you want either right then or within a few days. Now I am only six weeks away from surgery. Yay.

You say your appointment is at Riley. Is your doctor Dr Miyamoto?

- Almyra

:hmm: At my CI center, I didn't have to decide which CI brand I wanted until a week before surgery (and my entire CI evaluation took 6 months to complete due to testing equipment malfunction).

In my case, my CI evaluation took place within a month after submitting my audiogram and CI application.

* Why do you wanted to hear both ears than one? I have two cochlear implants. I don't have any vision concerns(I wear contacts). I just believe in two ears - two implants.

* Can you speak on phone when you are wearing CI?Yes, I am working back to the phone. I haven't used the phone much in 20 years.

* Do you have experience with headache when you hear any loud stuff or just a soft sound as smooth? no, sound is not painful. Very different then a hearing aid.

* After you get activated the device. How long it will be heal your surgery?
3 weeks for activation and I was back at work in 5 days.

Every one is different.

I beat ye vallee, i got implanted on friday and was back at work on tuesday, lol albeit very wobbly, but as i work for myslef if i dont work i dont earn.

funny readign your posts, when i went for swtich on, i chose a silver processor,basically as i dotn give a s*** who sees it, but my wife and son said go for the brown one same colour as my hair(what ive got left) i deliberated and decided to go with them, but i wish i had got silver, i realy couldnt care less who saw it, nor am i embarrassed about it.

good luck with yours pinky, i am still learning to hear with it, very early days yet, but if you want to ask me anything just pm and i will try me best to help.

Riley hosp had me wait several months for my evaluation also. Then another two months for surgery date. It was about five weeks for my insurance to authorize cochlear implants, but only one. Not two.

The wait is long. I used my time to send away for packages from Cochlear America, Med-El & Advanced Bioincs, join their forums (and this one). At the evaluation they want you to decide which brand you want either right then or within a few days. Now I am only six weeks away from surgery. Yay.

You say your appointment is at Riley. Is your doctor Dr Miyamoto?

- Almyra

I don't live in Indianapolis now. I did call to ENT in my hometown. I used to live in Indy for 2 years in 1998 to 2000 I know who is Dr. Miyamoto. I got got loan a hearing aid at Riley. When I was 18 years old. He offered me to get CI. I used to be against CI because I was in deaf school. I changed my mind. I want to get CI. I need to find doctor's number if you have it. Please PM me. That's good idea to make a choice for CI brand I want. That's cool! I didn't like my old audiologist picked a wrong brand of hearing aids for my style. I am glad that I can pick a brand of CI over HA. I have to get one implant for now. I can get second next few years later. I don't want to get both in same time. Because of tinnitus you know. You can PM me. :)

3 weeks for activation and I was back at work in 5 days.

Every one is different.

It's very interesting. It's not bad about get heal in few weeks than a months. How about if you were sick when you wear a CI? For example, cold, flu, ear infection, sore throat and mirgaine when you're wear? Is that normal or feel different from implanted?

I can tell different music intruments, not the voice yet, I know that there is voice involved but i cannot follow. I need to print some Lyrics and get started on listening to voices.
Yeah my dog's squeaks at high pitch Pre CI i couldn't hear it now i can. also Him Barking! I can hear him walking on tiles also i heard my cat who makes high pitch meow for the first time with CI which is amazing and i had her for 14 years!

That's awesome! Do you understand the music when you listening? Yes, I read your blog about dog and cat's high pitch. I can't wait to hear my dog's barking and whimper. :D I am looking forward to hear my dad's played a guitar and sing on band. I still have his old tape cassettes. I need to copy into CD to listen. Also he used to work at radio station. I want to listen his radio. He was a humor of sense. I can't want to listen. It will make my life change since I have CI. My husband and our family are supports me. :)

Pinky, you said your husband has Tricare. Do you know which one? If it is Tricare prime, the most you would have to pay is $3000, your catastrophic cap for one fiscal year. Depending on when your surgery would be, that could be greatly reduced if you have had other medical charges.Tricare's new fiscal year just started October 1st.
I just don't know how that works with medicare. Perhaps someone else will know how medicare works with secondary insurance....
Good luck with your journey...

Pinky, you said your husband has Tricare. Do you know which one? If it is Tricare prime, the most you would have to pay is $3000, your catastrophic cap for one fiscal year. Depending on when your surgery would be, that could be greatly reduced if you have had other medical charges.Tricare's new fiscal year just started October 1st.
I just don't know how that works with medicare. Perhaps someone else will know how medicare works with secondary insurance....
Good luck with your journey...

I did sign up the Tricare for health care on form last Aug. Because my husband and I just married last June. I am waiting for mail to come soon.

From what I understand, Medicare will pay up to 80% for the cost of a CI while the remaining 20% is covered by secondary insurance.

From what I understand, Medicare will pay up to 80% for the cost of a CI while the remaining 20% is covered by secondary insurance.

I am still keep medicare. I am waiting for other insurance. I want to have two of them. Do you think it will be pay the bills on surgery, implant and stuff?

Hmmm..so it all comes down to what type of tricare hubby has and the "pre-existing" conditions clause. I don't know if Tricare has that....

That's great to hear. I want to get ci before have a baby. I want to curious what is baby's crying and any sound.
Do you like to listen the music?

Yes. Medicare will pay up to 80% for the cost of CI surgery and mappings.

Do you like to listen the music?

I *love* listening to music! Before I received my CIs, I could only hear percussion and male vocals (depending on how much they overlapped keyboards and other instruments). Now with my CIs, I can hear melody, harmony as well as individual instruments clearly. Music sounds 1,000 times better than it ever did with hearing aids. It's wonderful! :)

Medicaid might also pay for the CI as well. She should check her insurances and see what exactly it covers. I don't know about FL, but I know that Texas Medicaid/Medicare covers the surgery and mappings. Same with New York. Other states Medicaid/Medicare probably also has similiar coverage for the surgery and mappings. :)

FYI: Coverage for the needed therapy afterward might be a bit more dicey, so should check that as well.

It's very interesting. It's not bad about get heal in few weeks than a months. How about if you were sick when you wear a CI? For example, cold, flu, ear infection, sore throat and mirgaine when you're wear? Is that normal or feel different from implanted?

Touches wood i haven't been sick since implanted (bit early really) I only had sorethroat and bit of cold last week it was nothing different to usual cold. As for ear infection should be treated as emergency so i would make an emergency appt with my GP or my Cochlear Implant centre. I get alot of ear infections early in the year but haven't had any yet with the CI. Headaches is same as pre CI and shouldn't be any different, if it's different and painful esp in the implanted area, i think it should be looked at to be on safe side.

I *love* listening to music! Before I received my CIs, I could only hear percussion and male vocals (depending on how much they overlapped keyboards and other instruments). Now with my CIs, I can hear melody, harmony as well as individual instruments clearly. Music sounds 1,000 times better than it ever did with hearing aids. It's wonderful! :)

GREAT! I'm so exciting! I am telling you what? My husband's heavily favorite listen the music with IPOD all the times. I wish I would hear the music. I can't hear a sound with hearing aids. I am looking forward to get CI. :dance:

Back