my daughter was diagnosed w/Hearing loss

lab123

Reaction score
My 2 year old just took the sedated abre test.They said she can hear whispers but higher frequency sounds she has trouble hearing and therefore can't talk that well.She is going to need 2 hearing aids and speech therapy.I am 25 and I myself am hearing impaired.no, not deaf, because with hearing aids, I can hear.Im curious to see if anyone else has a high frequency hearing loss?....

I won't be doing ASL with her.No offense to the deaf culture,but I had speech for 6 years and now you can't even tell there is a problem with me bc I speak so well.

IMO,using speech is more helpful in the real world,from my experience hanging out with deaf friends in the past......

How am I trolling?..Just because I came on hear asking for advice, but don't agree with signing makes me trolling?REALLY?some forum this is:roll::shock:

advice? where? I don't see anywhere in your post asking for an advice. just that you're looking for anybody with a high frequency hearing loss.

the only advice we have for you is ASL. don't like that advice? you're in wrong forum.

Lots of people have high frequency loss, he says trolling because what exactly do you want to know. You basically gave a lot of info that is sure to upset people and it seemed like you knew what points to touch on to do so. You just asked about high freq. loss with out asking for advice about your child, seemed odd is all considering you are " hearing impaired" , not deaf...

I'm not fake,lol, believe me.I have no reason to be.Anywas, what I was asking was:Is there anyone with high frequency hearing loss, that hears pretty good with hearing aids?

This is a forum for the deaf community. You cannot come here prepared to dismiss our life experiences and advices.

By the way, claiming to not be deaf and yet call yourself hearing impaired. My friend, that is what I call an oxymoron. You have a negative perspective on sign language and for what reasons? I don't know, nor do I care.

A child's language development should not be neglected nor negatively impacted in any way.

This is a forum for the deaf community. You cannot come here prepared to dismiss our life experiences and advices.

By the way, claiming to not be deaf and yet call yourself hearing impaired. My friend, that is what I call an oxymoron. You have a negative perspective on sign language and for what reasons? I don't know, nor do I care.

A child's language development should not be neglected nor negatively impacted in any way.

You say I am exlcuding deaf people, but it seems you are excluding hearing impaired people.Do you think I can hear?I said I have nerve deafness, but with my hearing aids, I can hear..so ,because I am not tottally deaf, you are going to exclude me?It's a shame....I have seen A LOT of deaf people who don't use ASL....IJS:roll:

I'm not fake,lol, believe me.I have no reason to be.Anywas, what I was asking was:Is there anyone with high frequency hearing loss, that hears pretty good with hearing aids?

that would be me.

Yes, I'm just trying to understand though. If you have a loss yourself, why you don't know the answer to this?

High Frequency loss is usually considered as a ski slope loss. I use two hearing aids and it helps me, I can speak but I also learned ASL. Why not give your child the best of both. ASL and Speech.

You say I am exlcuding deaf people, but it seems you are excluding hearing impaired people.Do you think I can hear?I said I have nerve deafness, but with my hearing aids, I can hear..so ,because I am not tottally deaf, you are going to exclude me?It's a shame....I have seen A LOT of deaf people who don't use ASL....IJS:roll:

Clearly, you didn't understand what I said. You claim to be not deaf yet hearing impaired. It's an oxymoron.

My 2 year old just took the sedated abre test.They said she can hear whispers but higher frequency sounds she has trouble hearing and therefore can't talk that well.She is going to need 2 hearing aids and speech therapy.I am 25 and I myself am hearing impaired.no, not deaf, because with hearing aids, I can hear.Im curious to see if anyone else has a high frequency hearing loss?....

Welcome, lab123!

How did you find out about this site? Is your hearing loss genetic if it passed on to your daughter? You could probably check with your local deaf resources, or community to get educated on the matter if you're interested on how to adjust with it.

By the way, out of political correctness, the term deaf and hearing impaired are technically the same meaning. You do not need to have "stone deafness" to be considered deaf. Anyone with a decent and up loss can be classified as deaf, if they allow themselves to.

I am amazed that people still say that if you hear just a bit, you are not deaf. :roll:

It's apparent that the op is in denial about herself and her child. I was for a bit but I learned to accept myself for what I truly am. Deaf... Pure and simple and I'm happy!

Back