my cheapo organization...

My question: given that it is difficult to find a terp with the appropriate medical terminology, how likely is it that the average deaf patient would fully understand the terp? I'm wondering if tablet computers with voice recognition might not be a good supplement. Then the patient can read what is being said, the doctor can see if the tablet is showing exactly what was said, and any questions can be based on both sides having the same visual access to what is being communicated.
That might work for patients with that preference, and should be available for them.

However, for those patients who want an ASL terp, they want an ASL terp, period. Text will not satisfy that need. Trust me.

Electronic options should be just that--options for those who request them. They should not be considered adequate substitutions for interpreting.

This is one of the reasons I have done a lot of 'interpreting' for deaf friends. Many appointments are last minute and booking an interpreter is next to impossible (also the cost for multiple appointments is often beyond their reach).
Beyond whose reach? The deaf patient doesn't pay the terp.

t have played the role of interpreter in dental offices, counselling offices, clinics, the hospital ER and even during surgery (I have teased my one friend that I am the one person that actually knows her "inside and out" haha). My signing is not anywhere near the level of an interpreter but sometimes circumstances force us to make the best of what is available. They trust me to convey all information accurately and I use whatever I can (vocab, fingerspelling and writing) to ensure that happens. The goal is always to do whatever possible to make the situation comfortable and supportive and to convey to everyone (read: those who is not familiar with interacting with the deaf) how important it is to have trusted interpreters in these situations.
You are setting yourself up for some serious trouble, not to mention setting a bad precedent. If those doctors, dentists, and counselors are used to using you for interpreting, when the time comes for someone to get a certified interpreter they're going to have a struggle justifying it.

What if you interpret something wrong? Do you have professional liability insurance to cover the damages?

Can you be totally unbiased and confidential about what you see and hear?

I think it is important to encourage (or even force) certain companies or organizations to provide a certified interpreter when required. It benefits the client/patient, interpreters and interpreting programs, and deaf education as a whole. However, sometimes it is just not possible and that is when it is important that those who can step in to facilitate communication do so.
Organizations are less likely to be encouraged to hire certified terps if they know there is someone available on staff who will "step in."

Just something to think about.

self instruction, really? :shock: wow.
What's so shocking? Most good terps are very self-actuated individuals who are always making use of materials for improving their performance.

When workshops are available, we jump on them but on the other hand, we don't sit around waiting for one to pop up. In the meantime, we read, research online, confer with colleagues, etc.

Beyond whose reach? The deaf patient doesn't pay the terp.
In some situations they do - certain counselling situations is an example.

You are setting yourself up for some serious trouble, not to mention setting a bad precedent. If those doctors, dentists, and counselors are used to using you for interpreting, when the time comes for someone to get a certified interpreter they're going to have a struggle justifying it.
As I mentioned, sometimes it is just not possible to get an interpreter at the last minute or for certain situations. Only specific doctors, dentists and counsellors are used to me being with specific individuals under certain circumstances. When a deaf friend calls to say they need help and cannot get an interpreter, I go.

What if you interpret something wrong? Do you have professional liability insurance to cover the damages?
No I do not. Again, I am a friend, not a certified interpreter.

Can you be totally unbiased and confidential about what you see and hear?Totally unbiased, no, but able to withhold any judgements or bias from either party during the discourse and keep it confidential, yes. If my deaf friends (or their friends) did not feel confident that I could do this, they would not ask me to support them in these situations.

Organizations are less likely to be encouraged to hire certified terps if they know there is someone available on staff who will "step in."
I agree with this which is why I said "I think it is important to encourage (or even force) certain companies or organizations to provide a certified interpreter when required. It benefits the client/patient, interpreters and interpreting programs, and deaf education as a whole."

Just something to think about.

I understand where you are coming from - in an ideal world friends and family members would not need to be asked to step in to facilitate communication in certain situations.

I guess we are lucky around here. I know of 7 terps through my deaf coffee and my deaf church. Of those 7, 2 are legal terps, 2 are medical and the other 3 are both legal and medical as well as certified deaf/blind terps.

What's so shocking? Most good terps are very self-actuated individuals who are always making use of materials for improving their performance.

When workshops are available, we jump on them but on the other hand, we don't sit around waiting for one to pop up. In the meantime, we read, research online, confer with colleagues, etc.

is my ignorance showing? sorry about that. it just seems to me that medical interpreting in particular would require more instruction than one can teach oneself.

Back