mental illness?

SkullChick

Reaction score
I'm just curious, everyone on my dad's side and my brother all seem like they got some strange thing going on I'm suspecting it might be some kind of mental illness that's genetic, the symptoms is short-fused (get angry fast and easily) delusional (think government is after them all time and they even think if they saw small airplane or helicopter fly over the house they think they have some kind of special camera that can see through house to find anything illegal, hearing voices in head, and everytime when they get angry they "blacked-out" like they can not control their behavior and they never remembered what they did while they were angry (I have it too but I'm intelligent so I learn how to control it better than everyone but I can't prevent the angry "blacked-out" espiode once they came up), constantly anxious worrying about everything, weird way of thinking like person didn't say or do anything but somehow we will come to believe that person hates or think we're stupid or think they're better than us or they want to start fight because voice in head disort our view of reality like for me I keep thinking if person look at me I will think they are thinking "who is that ugly too skinny girl" or if friend or family if they act little differently I keep thinking "oh what's wrong with me I'm stupid they're mad at me I better leave them alone they don't want me anymore" etc like that I can't help it and none of my family can either. So is any symptoms match to any of mental illness that came up in your mind? Just wondering so if I find out what's wrong then I can do "early intervention" with my future children if they inherit that trait so they become normal person. I'll appreciate any thought
Thanks

We are no expert here but what your describe your family members sound alike they are having schizop (mispelling) if they hear voices in head or pyschotic exposides. We can not diagnosis unless u get right kind of help. I too thought I had mental problem but it all came down to simple tumor on my pitutary which caused all kind of problems in my body and have to take medicine to keep my tumor under control for rest of my life. It could be health problems and they did not know it. I am sorry u are dealing with it.

Wow SkullChick. You're describing my grandpa (although not biologically related) and my mom's half sister. You're not crazy at all. I want you to know not to take this as 100 percent diagnosis, but I think I know what it may be It's called Bipolar Disorder. People can go undiagnosed for many and many years or misdiagnosed or never diagnosed.

My mother's childhood along with her siblings had a pretty rough childhood when my grandfather would have manic episodes that he would explode and tell lies that weren't real. I remember that he would be very moody and bitter, and I always wondered why he talked in anger and cussed, etc. He did have moments of being normal and happiness and laughter. I was always scared that he would burst at me for innocent things for just being a child. Sometimes I'd walk in eggshells because you just didn't know if he'd explode. That's pretty much what happened with my grandma and children. Some people don't fully develop it until their 20's or later and can get worse from there.

My mom's sister was just diagnosed this year, and she has always talked about the government persecuting her and really imagining stories that don't make sense. She still doesn't accept the fact that she has Bipolar and stopped taking her medications and treatments. I have read that there's not a lot that we can do. That they have to accept and want the help.

Also, I have to tell you that Bipolar Disorder have different stages and categories, so one person with Bipolar will be in some ways different than the other. My grandpa and mom's sister are similar but different types of Bipolar.

I suggest that you look it up online and familiarize yourself about it. There's also support groups where bipolar people meet and talk about the disease. We only went once, but we believe it was very worth it. Maybe you and your mom can go. There is an association for bipolar disorder somewhere on the web that will tell you about meeting locations. You will learn many things and that they are normal people like you and I that you see everywhere, but they have a mental illness. Each person is different. Some control their illness better than others. They are learning themselves too. I suggest that you familiarize yourself or talk to a therapist for your own sake to learn how to deal with this. I know that this can be difficult for families, and there's only partly you can do for them to get the help that they need. You can't control the other person to get help, but help them in certain ways. You can help yourself if you want it.

There's books about people with the disease such as Patty Duke (movie star) has Bipolar and she has books about it. She was in the movie of Helen Keller The Miracle Worker. You may help yourself understand where they are coming from by reading them.

But yes, it sounds like Bipolar disorder because it's so the same to what I have heard from mom. Since I don't live with my aunt or talk on the phone with her, I don't know everything that she talks about, but I do remember her talking about the goverment persecuting her and strange stories. My grandpa was not diagnosed until the last few months of his death, but that has brought our family some relief in understanding why he would have sudden explosive outbursts. It was a miracle that both of them were diagnosed in the same year. My aunt is more of the type that imagines stories--that doesn't always mean that you're schizophrenic. Bipolar has some of those similar schizophrenic types of symptoms in some people. I doubt that they have schizophrenia though. She was also a worrier with racing thoughts. Before she was fully diagnosed, someone thought my aunt was schizophrenic until it was officially diagnosed as Bipolar. That's why I tell you to take further advice from an official therapist. They will tell you of ways to deal with it. The support group can help you also. This one lady journals a lot and meditates while she takes her medications. She also talks to a therapist about what's going on.

Oh and by the way, you should see the movie Running with Scissors. It's also in a book. It helps you undertand the disease more, and it's based on a true story of this young man whose mother had Bipolar Disorder, and it's about how he survived it. This movie is kinda weird in the very beginning, but it all comes together in the end--some things are a little hard to understand but my mom thinks these different characters discribes how the mother is feeling inside her own mind. The young man himself wrote the book.

I hope I provided some help, and I don't want you to go through life thinking you're crazy or confused like my mother was trying to understand what it was all about, so I hope to provide some understanding and relief in this.

As a professional clinical counselor, I don't think what you have described is bi-polar or schizophrenia. It sounds more like schizo-affective disorder. Of course, I can't be 100% certain with just the information you have given me, but I can make an educated guess. More than worrying about your future children and early intervention, though, I would recommend that your family members be evaluated, and that you yourself be evaluated. While scizo-affective disorder can be genetically based, it is often environment that causes it to manifest. In other words, its a combination of the genes and your family life and environment. So even if you should pass on the genes to children, if you have received treatment and they are not exposed to the dysfunction created by your symptoms, they will be less at risk for developing the symptoms themselves. I strongly urge you to be evaluated, even though you are able to control your symtoms most of the time.

I second that about getting treatments and the right environment. That's another thing I learned about developing Bipolar and its severity. If you want your child to be well down the road, you want to set a good example yourself to get yourself treated. Bipolar can get worse over the years even if you're doing well right now. This is what happened with my mom's sister.

Whatever the disorder might be, it's good to be evaluated to get the right diagnosis, sometimes many disorders appear alike. I suggest you evaluate yourself if you're family won't and then show them the results to see if they'll be willing to get evaluated.

When a family has a disorder that they refuse to get treatment, it can destroy their families and childrens lives. It makes them embarrassed just like my aunt's daughters are affected in many areas as well because their mother won't accept and get treatment.

People with bipolar can lead a normal life like anyone, but they need the treatments to get through well.

I wish you very well.

Don't worry...

Just go look in the yellow page and pick out Therapist and
call and make appointment and meet with the Therapist
and chat.

It is a lot better than telling about your problem to friends or deaf people online.
Cause friends most likely will spread rumors, especially deaf community.
And plus if you tell friends or deaf people online... then they
might dislike you... I need to take my own advice.

Talking to a Therapist who is unknown.... and won't tell anybody
and will keep communication private.

And Dr. Phil's tv show... I don't know why people on there want
the whole WORLD know about their problems...
Cause what if people walk up to you and say, "Hey, you were
on Dr. Phil, why in the HELL YOU HIT YOUR WIFE FOR!?!?"

I second that about getting treatments and the right environment. That's another thing I learned about developing Bipolar and its severity. If you want your child to be well down the road, you want to set a good example yourself to get yourself treated. Bipolar can get worse over the years even if you're doing well right now. This is what happened with my mom's sister.

Whatever the disorder might be, it's good to be evaluated to get the right diagnosis, sometimes many disorders appear alike. I suggest you evaluate yourself if you're family won't and then show them the results to see if they'll be willing to get evaluated.

When a family has a disorder that they refuse to get treatment, it can destroy their families and childrens lives. It makes them embarrassed just like my aunt's daughters are affected in many areas as well because their mother won't accept and get treatment.

People with bipolar can lead a normal life like anyone, but they need the treatments to get through well.

I wish you very well.

Very good advise, Clearsky.

I know this is a strange comment, because I know Jillio will tell me off, but have you ever seen the movie "What the Bleep do we know", it also stars one of our popular deaf actresses!

The reason I'am mentioning this is because it shows in animation how the biochemistry works and how it's passed through families, etc.....basically the movie is about Quantum Physics, something science is just starting to learn about, but it's a great funny movie (with the popular deaf actress).

Watch it a few times............you can get it at Rogers or Blockbusters!

And if your deaf, maybe you can request the popular actress playing the main role who is deaf for the CC copy of the movie. Hopefully it'll be in CC, but ??

Don't worry...

Just go look in the yellow page and pick out Therapist and
call and make appointment and meet with the Therapist
and chat.

It is a lot better than telling about your problem to friends or deaf people online.
Cause friends most likely will spread rumors, especially deaf community.
And plus if you tell friends or deaf people online... then they
might dislike you... I need to take my own advice.

Talking to a Therapist who is unknown.... and won't tell anybody
and will keep communication private.

And Dr. Phil's tv show... I don't know why people on there want
the whole WORLD know about their problems...
Cause what if people walk up to you and say, "Hey, you were
on Dr. Phil, why in the HELL YOU HIT YOUR WIFE FOR!?!?"

Good thing, everyone's ignoring this mental lady... carry on people.

I know this is a strange comment, because I know Jillio will tell me off, but have you ever seen the movie "What the Bleep do we know", it also stars one of our popular deaf actresses!

The reason I'am mentioning this is because it shows in animation how the biochemistry works and how it's passed through families, etc.....basically the movie is about Quantum Physics, something science is just starting to learn about, but it's a great funny movie (with the popular deaf actress).

Watch it a few times............you can get it at Rogers or Blockbusters!

And if your deaf, maybe you can request the popular actress playing the main role who is deaf for the CC copy of the movie. Hopefully it'll be in CC, but ??

Quantam Physics has nothing to do with genetic markers for a predisposition to mental illness. And that is your problem, youa re getting you information from animated films and hucksters rather than from a credible source.

Sounds like it could be a number of things.
Here's my list of possibilities:
- Bipolar disorder
- Schizophrenia
- Paranoid schizophrenia (not sure if they're different or not)
- Plain old paranoia

It's really sad when you see people go through this stuff. My mom and I have Bipolar Disorder, so I understand what it's like to have random manic phases and being all paranoid. However, we haven't had the whole blackout thing. I'm not sure what that would go with. They are right, though, a professional is the best person to talk to about this. A therapist is good, but only a psychiatrist (they have an MD) can really diagnose anyone and prescribe medication. And medication is really important for living with something like this. It's sad when people go in denial or think they're cured and they stop taking their meds, only to get even worse.

Anyways, look up a good psychiatrist in the area and check out who your insurance will pay. Most importantly, when you're talking to the psychiatrist don't ever let them discount or belittle your opinions/feelings/observations. I have had a psychiatrist do that before, and it is only a sign of a bad doctor. Remember that you are the one who is observing, processing, and living with everything, so they have to sit back and listen to you in order to understand.

Sounds like it could be a number of things.
Here's my list of possibilities:
- Bipolar disorder
- Schizophrenia
- Paranoid schizophrenia (not sure if they're different or not)
- Plain old paranoia

It's really sad when you see people go through this stuff. My mom and I have Bipolar Disorder, so I understand what it's like to have random manic phases and being all paranoid. However, we haven't had the whole blackout thing. I'm not sure what that would go with. They are right, though, a professional is the best person to talk to about this. A therapist is good, but only a psychiatrist (they have an MD) can really diagnose anyone and prescribe medication. And medication is really important for living with something like this. It's sad when people go in denial or think they're cured and they stop taking their meds, only to get even worse.

Anyways, look up a good psychiatrist in the area and check out who your insurance will pay. Most importantly, when you're talking to the psychiatrist don't ever let them discount or belittle your opinions/feelings/observations. I have had a psychiatrist do that before, and it is only a sign of a bad doctor. Remember that you are the one who is observing, processing, and living with everything, so they have to sit back and listen to you in order to understand.

You are correct that psychiatrists are M.D.'s and therefore can prescribe medication. However not, all mental illness requires medication, and a Docot of Clinical Psychology is just as qualified to diagnose as a psychiatrist. They are also just as qualified to treat the disorder. In fact, clinical psychologists often work hand in hand, with the psychologist actually doing the treatment,and the psychiatrist for prescribing medication.

You are correct that psychiatrists are M.D.'s and therefore can prescribe medication. However not, all mental illness requires medication, and a Docot of Clinical Psychology is just as qualified to diagnose as a psychiatrist. They are also just as qualified to treat the disorder. In fact, clinical psychologists often work hand in hand, with the psychologist actually doing the treatment,and the psychiatrist for prescribing medication.

It just sounds to me that something this serious is gonna need medication. I'd just think seeing a psychiatrist as the first stop might not be the worst idea. But then, I've been surrounded by this kinda stuff all my life, so that's my opinion as a "crazy" person.

It just sounds to me that something this serious is gonna need medication. I'd just think seeing a psychiatrist as the first stop might not be the worst idea. But then, I've been surrounded by this kinda stuff all my life, so that's my opinion as a "crazy" person.

And it might well need medication; the first step would be assessment. And, sometimes the ones who are labeled the "craziest" make the most sense if you listen to what they have to say! :giggle:

Back