Meeting a Deafblind person in real life

Are there a lot of services available for deaf blinds? The reason why i ask is I don't really know what they are also my church is trying to reach deaf blinds as well. They're running workshops to become more deaf blind friendly.

Are there a lot of services available for deaf blinds? The reason why i ask is I don't really know what they are also my church is trying to reach deaf blinds as well. They're running workshops to become more deaf blind friendly.

Seems like here where I am, there aren't too many. But I do know of one SSP that I use regularly (especially for doctor's appointments and the like) and I know that blind services here takes on a lot of the deafblind responsibilities. There aren't any HKNC or AADB chapters here, though, so a lot of technology training and more specialized deafblind services have to be done elsewhere.

Seems like here where I am, there aren't too many. But I do know of one SSP that I use regularly (especially for doctor's appointments and the like) and I know that blind services here takes on a lot of the deafblind responsibilities. There aren't any HKNC or AADB chapters here, though, so a lot of technology training and more specialized deafblind services have to be done elsewhere.
I'm sorry a lot of abbreviation I don't know what any of those mean. I'm interested to hear about these, but you'd have to explain.

ah thanks for the info, I was also told yesterday that this a a computer that deaf blind people can use to communicate. Where the non signer will type what they want to say into it and it shows up braille which is to say I believe it prints it on to paper. My understanding is minimal the deaf blind that I know speaks to me and signs, because I am hearing. However yesterday he was trying to explain to me a little how the services he uses work. He said the braille computer device he uses mostly, however he signs really. Thanks for the help

ah thanks for the info, I was also told yesterday that this a a computer that deaf blind people can use to communicate. Where the non signer will type what they want to say into it and it shows up braille which is to say I believe it prints it on to paper. My understanding is minimal the deaf blind that I know speaks to me and signs, because I am hearing. However yesterday he was trying to explain to me a little how the services he uses work. He said the braille computer device he uses mostly, however he signs really. Thanks for the help

A braille display.

I'm hoping to get one of these. I use text-to-speech right now but it has to be a quiet room, other people can't be talking and there can't be any music or any sort of noise. Not to mention, since I've lost some more hearing and being the huge computer addict that I am, I don't want to risk a period of time where I can't use a computer. :giggle:

Since I don't have that kind of money, I'm aiming to get a used BrailleNote that I can then plug into my computer's USB port and use as a braille display. Added feature is that I can use it on its own too and can bring it with me to use as a deafblind communicator in noisy places.

There are also smaller, more compact versions of Braille displays that are used chiefly for communication, called deafblind communicators.

Ha ha thanks that makes more sense I was gonna say if it printed everything out it would use a lot of paper. Thanks for helping me understand more, it seems like we're the main people using this form now.

Ha ha thanks that makes more sense I was gonna say if it printed everything out it would use a lot of paper. Thanks for helping me understand more, it seems like we're the main people using this form now.

Who are the main people using this forum I am confused.

I was saying that for the topic the last few posts have been just from and CJB. Thats all I meant.

Back