Media's coverage has distorted world's view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Reaction score
This is how I see the media's involvment in wars.

World Tribune Editors' Note: LTC Tim Ryan is Commander, Task Force 2-12 Cavalry, First Cavalry Division in Iraq. He led troops into battle in Fallujah late last year and is now involved in security operations for the upcoming elections. He wrote the following during "down time" after the Fallujah operation. His views are his own.

Media's coverage has distorted world's view of Iraqi reality - By LTC Tim Ryan

Did it ever occur to the media that this type of notoriety is just what the terrorists want and need? Every headline they grab is a victory for them. Those who have read the ancient Chinese military theorist and army general Sun Tzu will recall the philosophy of "Kill one, scare ten thousand" as the basic theory behind the strategy of terrorism.

There you have it, the media is pwned!

Steve

Steve said:
This is how I see the media's involvment in wars.

Media's coverage has distorted world's view of Iraqi reality - By LTC Tim Ryan

There you have it, the media is pwned!

Steve

This is one of the reasons I don't speak out against the war. There is a lot of good that happens there. War is not a wonderful thing and I'm going to glamorize it in any way. I don't like wars, but believe we are there for the right reasons...and friends and relatives who have served there or are currently serving point out a lot of the good things they have seen.

As far as terrorists using the media to get their point across.. I have seen others make similar claims. The point is, they want to get their point across and getting the headlines just does that (somebody once told me that any publicity is good publicity). This has actually occured throughout recent history. Think of the unibomber and getting his manifesto published. He grabbed headlines for a long time well before his manifesto was published.

Something to note about media is that the above doesn't apply to just terrorism. Just as an example the shark attacks that made headlines a couple of years ago. Shark attacks were actually down, but all the hoopla surrounding it terrified people of going into the ocean.

Think of the school shootings from a few years ago. School shootings are a very rare occurance, but people were terrified to put their kids on the bus because the media gave them the impression that your local middle or high school is like the Wild Wild West.

Last edited:
What about nukes taylor? Should they be used? Youre glad im not the president cause id would demand they hand over bin laden in 72 hours if they dont i warn them i will release 100 megaton nuclear missles . If they refused i would had launched missles all over to the middle east.

ravensteve1961 said:
What about nukes taylor? Should they be used? Youre glad im not the president cause id would demand they hand over bin laden in 72 hours if they dont i warn them i will release 100 megaton nuclear missles . If they refused i would had launched missles all over to the middle east.
And... we've got World War III! :crazy:

Vamp not nessary so. You think russia or china would get involved if we bomb the middle east? NO!

No warmonger would even think of going that far.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back