Math

respectyoda

Reaction score
Hello folks! This thread will be purely about math. Let's start this thread off by first sharing why you like or hate math. I shall start us off.

I love math because math helps one improve his/her critical thinking skills. Math helps us understand more of this world. Math has been instrumental in making objects like cars, houses, clothing, technology, etc.

I did not find out until I was about 15 yo that I was reversing my numbers when I read them. I was going to a private school and my teacher was tutoring me with my math and I had to read some # out loud and my teacher told this. Not one of my teachers in public school picked up on this. So I hated math . I could add the numbers up in my head if someone read them to me . When I was boarding school I took bookkeeping , and I was getting my answers wrong . I tried to tell my teacher why but she did not believe because when she read me the # to add up I was able to do it in my head.

I currently hate pre-calc algebra, which I'm taking at the college. Just crazy stuff, and I still don't understand why I need to learn more than half of the stuff we've already covered since the semester started. confusing stuff.

I used to be good at Algebra in high school. I hope that if someone gave me some Algebra problems, I won't lose my touch.

I can easily solve problems such as :

2x-7=29.

I remember when someone gave me this problem, I was rusty. I thought that you had to subtract 7 to both sides. I checked my work. I realized that I made a mistake. I realized that I had to add 7 to both sides, not subtract.

I'm not really too good with Geometry or Trigonometry. I would probably be able to recognize basics of Geometry though.

I wondered what the point of all those math were. Right now, I have a basic calculator that I use for my bike business. I don't need a special calculator for that.

I do fine with higher math that uses formulas. I do not do well with "easy" math like addition and multiplication because I have a maths learning disability. Math was much harder when it was more basic. By college I was getting straight As. I probably should have majored in math.

It wasn't u til I became a teacher, that I really understood the foundation of math. I love teaching it but I still hate claculus and geometry.

a0R21UP.gif

My dad has a knack for math and got a perfect SAT score back in the day - I on the other hand think pictorially. Although I can still tell you what was in my grandparents fridge when I was short enough to walk under the kitchen table my memory does not soak up written text or numbers that way. Once I got to high school math became too complicated to picture as objects. I got all A's except for math classes which were D's or C's.
I know enough to get by in everyday life - but anything beyond that will put me to sleep :)

I currently hate pre-calc algebra, which I'm taking at the college. Just crazy stuff, and I still don't understand why I need to learn more than half of the stuff we've already covered since the semester started. confusing stuff.

Yeah, I know where you are coming from, but it is much more than just numbers. Math helps people exercise their problem solving skills and not to mention their critical thinking skills. Using math is beneficial because you have to start somewhere and progress in steps in order to reach a conclusion.

I used to be good at Algebra in high school. I hope that if someone gave me some Algebra problems, I won't lose my touch.

I can easily solve problems such as :

2x-7=29.

I remember when someone gave me this problem, I was rusty. I thought that you had to subtract 7 to both sides. I checked my work. I realized that I made a mistake. I realized that I had to add 7 to both sides, not subtract.

I'm not really too good with Geometry or Trigonometry. I would probably be able to recognize basics of Geometry though.

I wondered what the point of all those math were. Right now, I have a basic calculator that I use for my bike business. I don't need a special calculator for that.

Most people struggle with balancing the equation. I've countless times reminded my students when I was teaching that if they do a certain operation to one side of the equation, they have to do it to the other side.

Geometry can be fascinating even at the basic levels because we see shapes all the time both regular and irregular. This is important especially for anyone who wants to study architecture! In the fields of television, movies and even little things like puzzles or books all are influenced by geometry. Even with programming, commands can be used to draw lines and shapes without the need to use actual images.

My next question to you is: which do you like better and why - Geometry or Algebra?

Algebra, hand down. I got A in Algebra and C in Geometry when I was in high school.

I think I comprehend Algebra much easier than Geometry. I would like to know how Algebra and Geometry would apply to bike selling business.

I've been told those who are good at algebra will do bad with geometry, and those who are good at geometry will do bad with algebra. Definitely true for me! Geometry makes no sense to me, I'm much better at algebra (even though I am currently hating pre-calc!). Took geometry TWICE in high school, not very good grades.

My geometry teacher was funny, or at least thought he was. Instead of having true/false questions on theorems/postulates, he gave us Always, Sometimes, or Never.

I miss math, don't really use much advanced stuff anymore. If someone's looking for some help or check answers, PM me.

Algebra, hand down. I got A in Algebra and C in Geometry when I was in high school.

I think I comprehend Algebra much easier than Geometry. I would like to know how Algebra and Geometry would apply to bike selling business.

You can use Algebra to do some simple financial analysis.

I've been told those who are good at algebra will do bad with geometry, and those who are good at geometry will do bad with algebra. Definitely true for me! Geometry makes no sense to me, I'm much better at algebra (even though I am currently hating pre-calc!). Took geometry TWICE in high school, not very good grades.

Yeah, that is a claim that applies to most people. It is because people will either be a better abstract thinker or a better visual thinker. People who are better at abstract thinking will do better with Algebra while those who are better visual thinkers will do better with Geometry. I noticed that most deaf people like Geometry because it is more visual and not to mention tangible.

My geometry teacher was funny, or at least thought he was. Instead of having true/false questions on theorems/postulates, he gave us Always, Sometimes, or Never.

I miss math, don't really use much advanced stuff anymore. If someone's looking for some help or check answers, PM me.

People can ask for help with math by posting here. :)

Here's a funny picture that has to do with Geometry.

funny-geometry-pic.jpg

I was good at both algebra and geometry, doesn't have to be an either or thing. For some reason I didn't think I would do great in geometry, so it's one course that I didn't take at a harder level. The teacher kicked me out. I was throwing off the curve, she couldn't curve everybody's grades because I always got an A, made the curve kind of useless so they bumped me up to harder class. I never took calculus. Trig and probability was the highest I went. I didn't need more math. Actually the only class I needed to take my senior year was one semester of English, could have graduated early. But I still took a full load both semesters, I ended up with waaaaaaaaay more credits than needed to graduate. My mom wished we could pass them on to my brothers ;)

I work with financial records and it often requires me to assess graphs with linear equations. We call them swear books because of the way info is scrutinized when audited. :giggle:

I was good at both algebra and geometry, doesn't have to be an either or thing. For some reason I didn't think I would do great in geometry, so it's one course that I didn't take at a harder level. The teacher kicked me out. I was throwing off the curve, she couldn't curve everybody's grades because I always got an A, made the curve kind of useless so they bumped me up to harder class. I never took calculus. Trig and probability was the highest I went. I didn't need more math. Actually the only class I needed to take my senior year was one semester of English, could have graduated early. But I still took a full load both semesters, I ended up with waaaaaaaaay more credits than needed to graduate. My mom wished we could pass them on to my brothers ;)

That's funny your teacher kicked you out because the curve was too much to your advantage than others. Probability is something most, if not all, people should learn, especially if one likes to play the lotto or gamble.

I could have graduated a semester early too, but I stayed the full year because I had three AP classes besides other courses.

I work with financial records and it often requires me to assess graphs with linear equations. We call them swear books because of the way info is scrutinized when audited. :giggle:

Linear equations are fun. Do you do statistical tests also? Well, if the books are done correctly, then audits shouldn't be feared.

i liked algerbra for some reason i was good at it may be i could spell X and Y and from that day to this i never needed to use it. i liked(strong word) could do physics maybe that where algerbra comes into my life..In my job it was important to do ratio i good at it
as small child i was advanced in math then one day teacher said it time to do problems and that word put me right off.
ten years ago i decided to do another math course,the teacher was so good he talked in lanaage i understood explained irrational numbers e.g one day some bloke in Greese looked at the sun and pi was born ALL down to good teaching

Math is not my forte....my boys ae good at it tho'....and some of their friends cannot even subtract or add!...

I was great at math in school, loved it. When my daughters were in high school, OMG their math was very difficult. They both took advanced classes and did very well. Thankfully my hubby is a Civil Engineer and is great at math. Luckily the few times my kids needed help with homework, he was there. After being sick, my memory is terrible. It's like I know the word but it won't come out of my mouth.

I'm terrible at math, but I enjoy listening to Vihart and James Grime talk about math.

dragon3thumbsmall.png

Back