Married couple of 59 years welcomes 100th grandchild

rockin'robin

Reaction score
QUINCY, Ill. --
A western Illinois couple recently celebrated the birth of their 100th grandchild.

Leo and Ruth Zanger of Quincy have 53 grandchildren, 46 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild. The birth of great-grandson Jaxton Leo on April 8 to grandson Austin and his wife Ashleigh made the number 100.

Leo and Ruth Zanger with their 12 children and spouses. Courtesy of Zanger and Associates

Leo Zanger tells The Quincy Herald-Whig that "the good Lord has just kept sending them." He says the family "could start our own town."

"There's always room for one more," Ruth Zanger says.

The Zangers have been married 59 years and had 12 children between 1956 and 1984. The youngest, 31-year-old Joe, was already an uncle 10 times when he was born. Besides Joe, there's Linda (the oldest), Greg, Debbie, David, Donna, Steve, Mike, Daniel, Ernie, Matt and Chuck, the Herald-Whig reports.

Most of the family lives in the Quincy area. When they get together they rent a church hall and it takes 50 pounds of ham or 10 turkeys to feed everyone.

Leo and Ruth's first grandchild was born in 1975 when Linda and her husband, Kenny Hardin, had their first child, Jeannine.

See photos of the whole family!

http://abc7.com/family/lucky-grandparents-welcome-100th-grandbaby/742671/

Wow, that is one amazing large family including grandchildren, great grandchildren and great-great grandchild. Whew! **shaking my head** :shock:

WOW that is a lot of babies. My mom has 16 grandkids and 3 great grandkids. Gets pretty crowded when we all get together. I can't imagine having 100 grandbabies. I can't wait to be a grandma but my kids are not in any hurry to fulfill my dream.

WOW that is a lot of babies. My mom has 16 grandkids and 3 great grandkids. Gets pretty crowded when we all get together. I can't imagine having 100 grandbabies. I can't wait to be a grandma but my kids are not in any hurry to fulfill my dream.

Sweet!...when it happens...oh my!...
As for 100 grandkids?....:hmm:...think I'll pass on that. Would be living off FS and Welfare...:giggle:

I can't imagine what it would be like to have, what, 90+ first cousins!? I only have 2 first cousins on my dad's side and no family whatsoever on my mom's...crazy

They counted great grand kids and great great grand kids. If you do that, my spouse's grandparents have 100 of them too. It would be something if they really did have 100 grandkids. A guy I dated in college had that many cousins, he was grandchild number 51.

My spouse's grandparents never bought gifts other than for the first Christmas/birthday. There was no way they could. Instead they make the first Christmas special and every single family member buys something. After that the family just does a grab bag of names, and that way people only have to buy one gift other than their immediate family. It manages the sheer amount of people well.

Back