Marlee Matlin

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

This is from 2008. Short version- she is basically discussing MM's choices in roles and how the roles where she speaks 'presents the wrong image to hearing people about deaf people'. The comment section is fairly enlightening too. People are going to love or hate MM; people are going to praise or denigrate ASL (or oralism for that matter...). Same story..."This is better than that and that's the way it has to be!" rather than "every deaf person is different in their own way regarding communication etc but all have the commonality of...being deaf".

Not sure if the original poster of the link will read this but oh well, I'll express my thoughts anyway :D.

The public has their own opinion about well known celebrity, there's love and hate for each one of them. To each their own what they think of a celebrity. MM certainly knows she can't please everybody and neither other celebrities. There will always be positive and negative opinion about what they do for a living which is why most celebrity live in a private life away from photographers and reporters as much possible.

The public has their own opinion about well known celebrity, there's love and hate for each one of them. To each their own what they think of a celebrity. MM certainly knows she can't please everybody and neither other celebrities. There will always be positive and negative opinion about what they do for a living which is why most celebrity live in a private life away from photographers and reporters as much possible.

Totally agree. No one can please everyone. Some love certain celebrities, others hate certain celebrities. If I were famous I'd want to try and lead as private a life as I can, so that I'm not constantly judged by everyone. That alone is stressful enough.

Back