Man kills teen for walking on grass

C

coloravalanche

Man kills teen for walking on grass

A Union Township man has been charged with murder after a fatal shooting in Clermont County Sunday afternoon.

Witnesses say the teenager was shot because he stepped in Martin's yard as he was walking down the street.

Martin called 911 Sunday to report the shooting.

"I just killed a kid," he calmly told the 911 operator.

Martin said the victim, his parents and other youths had been harassing him for five years.

"I shot him with a (word deleted) .410 shotgun twice," Martin said. "He's laying in the yard."

Investigators plan to present the case to a grand jury Wednesday, Lt. Scott Gaviglia said.

Crazy...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,188570,00.html

Kids today are so bad, violent that this man had to defend himself. Pretty soon the tide will turn against bad, violent kids and the kids will not be able to hide under the law neither will the parents or adults use the kids as an instrument of warfare and destruction. The courts are increasingly turning to say no more to the kids and pretty soon adults will not get charged for protecting themselves from very bad , violent kids.

I have no sympathy for the kids who are so bad and violent.... what the hell was he doing walking in somebody's backyard.... Was that kid casing the place for thievery and murder?

No way, man !!! I don't blame that U.S. Navy veteran for not taking any more chances on this kid when he clearly knew not to walk across the yard and try to physically harrass and threaten that old man who is 66 years old and a U.S. Navy Veteran.

Kids today have no respect for anybody so pretty soon the kids are not gonna get respected any more.

Being " a good kid " just doesn't cut it anymore.

By the way where is the rest of the story? There is only a half article. That is it?

Heath said:
Kids today are so bad, violent that this man had to defend himself. Pretty soon the tide will turn against bad, violent kids and the kids will not be able to hide under the law neither will the parents or adults use the kids as an instrument of warfare and destruction. The courts are increasingly turning to say no more to the kids and pretty soon adults will not get charged for protecting themselves from very bad , violent kids.

I have no sympathy for the kids who are so bad and violent.... what the hell was he doing walking in somebody's backyard.... Was that kid casing the place for thievery and murder?

No way, man !!! I don't blame that U.S. Navy veteran for not taking any more chances on this kid when he clearly knew not to walk across the yard and try to physically harrass and threaten that old man who is 66 years old and a U.S. Navy Veteran.

Kids today have no respect for anybody so pretty soon the kids are not gonna get respected any more.

By the way where is the rest of the story? There is only a half article. That is it?

Wait....the old man shot the boy just for WALKING across the yard? He should not have done that, even if he claimed the boy was harassing him before. Sounds like he cared more about his yard than about the boy....

More about this incident:

Blood Spilled Over Man's Perfect Lawn

(CBS) BATAVIA, Ohio Irritated but calm, the homeowner called 911 and told the dispatcher that he had finally done something about the neighbor boy — the one, the man said into the phone, who had been harassing him for years.

"I just killed a kid," Charles Martin said, according to a recording of the Sunday afternoon call released by police in Union Township, near Batavia, about 20 miles east of Cincinnati.

"You just killed a kid?" the surprised 911 operator said.

"Yes, ma'am," the caller replied.

Martin, 66, is charged with murdering 15-year-old Larry Mugrage, who lived next door to the house where Martin kept a meticulous front lawn with grass that he could sometimes be seen measuring to the inch.

Police said crossing that lawn is what got Mugrage killed. Martin, who lived alone, told officers he'd had several disputes with neighbors about walking on his grass, but hadn't called police since 2003, Union Township police Lt. Scott Gaviglia said.

"I'm being harassed by him and his parents for five years and today I just blew it up," the caller says on the tape, before identifying himself as "Charles Martin."

In the 911 call, Martin, a retired Ford Motor Co. worker with no criminal record, allegedly told the dispatcher that Mugrage had been "making the other kids harass me and my place, tearing things up."

"I shot him with a (word deleted) .410 shotgun twice," the caller told the dispatcher.

"You shot him with a shotgun? Where is he?" the dispatcher asked.

"He's laying in his yard," the caller said.

Mugrage, who police said was hit in the chest, was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Martin appeared briefly in Batavia Municipal Court on Monday. A judge denied bond and set another hearing for Thursday.

Martin was being held Tuesday at the Clermont County jail, where officials declined to give him a message seeking comment and said he did not have an attorney of record.

The shooting stunned those in the residential neighborhood and students at Glen Este High School, where Mugrage was a freshman. Grief counselors were at the school Monday.

"I think there's a great deal of shock, for two reasons: because of the age of the victim and just how this occurred, killed over some grass," Gaviglia said.

Neighbors said Martin was quiet, often sitting out in front of his one-story home with its neat lawn, well-trimmed shrubbery and flag pole with U.S. and Navy flags flying. In his fenced backyard, he had several birdhouses and a shed painted like a small red barn with white trim.

Neighbor Joanne Ritchie, 46, said Mugrage was known as "a good kid," and that she always considered Martin to be friendly.

"The older gentleman was always riding his bike and tending to his yard," she said. "He would wave at kids and adults. He always had the perfect yard and he worked in it a lot."

Sean Fritts, 16, who also lived nearby, agreed that Martin's lawn was his pride and joy.

"He was real protective over his yard and mowed it a lot, and sometimes even measured the grass with a yardstick," Fritts said.

Still, Fritts said he wasn't aware of any disputes involving Martin.

"I never had any problems with him, and I don't know that anyone else did," he said.

The article can be found at this link

There's got to be more to the story than this . . . there's something else wrong somewhere.

pek1 said:
There's got to be more to the story than this . . . there's something else wrong somewhere.

Yeah, The liberals are covering up something really vicious about the kid and slandering the good name of a US Navy veteran.

Typical liberal t.v. news media crap.

Heath said:
Yeah, The liberals are covering up something really vicious about the kid and slandering the good name of a US Navy veteran.

Typical liberal t.v. news media crap.

FOX News, aka Bush's mouthpiece, is liberal? What the hell are you smoking?

Teresh said:
FOX News, aka Bush's mouthpiece, is liberal? What the hell are you smoking?

I am smoking nothing and I did not realize it was the Fox Networks... I guess they are just syndicating what the another t.v. news are saying. Fox t.v. news sometimes do that but for the most part Fox is a very good t.v. network. I have a very hard time trusting CNN ....and I like to go to the ABC and CBS news, the ones that I grew up with were the ABC and the CBS news. I think the NBC t.v. news were new to me. I don't remember seeing the NBC t.v. news till the early 1990's. I like the ABC and the CBS news myself.

Man, some people over read things. He shot his neighbor for walking on his grass. Probably had been some fued between the 2 neighbors. It should have never ended like this.

That man was really insane to shoot the boy for walking over his grass!!
He must have had such a hatred towards the boy enough to kill him :(
Hope they will lock the man up for good.

Sheesh, I have problems with my next door neighbor's kids who intend to keep damaged my yard and house, etc but I'm not going to shoot them just cause they kept harassed me and my children, that doesn't even solved a problem, it just makes it worse, and beside he is an adult , he should know how to handle things in a better way, shooting a kid just cause he walked on his yard is just plain ridiculous, I hope he gets what he deserves in prison, and a lesson to learn from the stupiest mistake he made by shooting a kid just for walking on his grass.... :shaking my head :

Heath said:
Kids today are so bad, violent that this man had to defend himself.

Defend himself from what?.... :confused:

prostock19 said:
Man, some people over read things. He shot his neighbor for walking on his grass. Probably had been some fued between the 2 neighbors. It should have never ended like this.
:werd:

Heath said:

Heath, I'm going to have to disagree with you. The kid was probably harassing the old guy, and the old guy had had enough HOWEVER the use of a firearm in this case is insane. A firearm is used for deadly force situations and nothing more...the old man's life was not in jeapordy at all and there was no imminent threat to him. The man should get the death penalty for shooting that kid, no matter what history the two have had.

The man should have pursued it legally...if the kid walked on his lawn, then he needs to go to the court and have the kid charged with trespassing. If the kid threatened him, he needs to have the kid charged with that. If the kid ever destroyed any of his property, then he needs to be charged with destruction of property...

Shooting the kid because he pissed him off is not an excuse. I don't know about Ohio law, but in Maryland, you are not allowed to use a firearm to protect your property (you can have it out, but you can't shoot somebody who is in the process of stealing your TV, even if they are in your house...you need to be in imminent danger to shoot).

Something else that stands out about this story is when the man says to the dispatcher when asked where the kid was :
"You shot him with a shotgun? Where is he?" the dispatcher asked.

"He's laying in his yard," the caller said.

.410's aren't the largest shotguns but the kid was shot in the chest. I highly doubt that the old man shot the kid on his lawn and the kid walked home and then collapsed...from what I'm reading, the kid had already left the mans yard and was killed in his own yard....so not only did the old man shoot the kid, but shot him when the kid wasn't even on his property.

POSSIBLE DEATH PENALTY CRIMES IN OHIO

In Ohio an aggravated (or intentional) murder with one or more of the following circumstances may be deemed a capital crime by the prosecutor:
a) the assassination of the President, Vice President, Governor, or Lieutenant Governor;
b) murder for hire;
c) murder to escape accountability for another
crime;
d) murder by a prisoner;
e) killing or attempting to kill two or more people;
f) killing a law enforcement officer;
g) felony murder (i.e., murder in conjunction with kidnapping, rape, aggravated arson, aggravated robbery, or aggravated burglary);
h) killing a witness to prevent their testimony, or in retaliation for their testimony;
i) killing an individual under thirteen years of age;
j) murder committed during or immediately after terrorism.

However, sentencing options in capital cases where guilt has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt also include life without parole (LWOP), parole after 25 years, and parole after 30 years. Factors which may mitigate the imposition of the death sentence include:
a) whether or not whether the victim induced or facilitated the offense;
b) whether or not the offender was under duress, coercion, or strong provocation;
c) whether or not the offender suffered from mental disease or defect, or lacked the capacity to understand their crime at the time of the offense;
d) the age of the offender's age (those under the age of 18 are not eligible for the death penalty);
e) whether or not the offender's lacked of a prior criminal record or record of delinquency;
f) the degree of the offender's involvement in the offense and the acts that led to the aggravated murder;
g) the presence of any other facts and circumstances relevant to the imposition of the death sentence on the offender.

DEATH PENALTY IN OHIO

Taylor said:
Heath, I'm going to have to disagree with you. The kid was probably harassing the old guy, and the old guy had had enough HOWEVER the use of a firearm in this case is insane. A firearm is used for deadly force situations and nothing more...the old man's life was not in jeapordy at all and there was no imminent threat to him. The man should get the death penalty for shooting that kid, no matter what history the two have had.

The man should have pursued it legally...if the kid walked on his lawn, then he needs to go to the court and have the kid charged with trespassing. If the kid threatened him, he needs to have the kid charged with that. If the kid ever destroyed any of his property, then he needs to be charged with destruction of property...

Shooting the kid because he pissed him off is not an excuse. I don't know about Ohio law, but in Maryland, you are not allowed to use a firearm to protect your property (you can have it out, but you can't shoot somebody who is in the process of stealing your TV, even if they are in your house...you need to be in imminent danger to shoot).

Something else that stands out about this story is when the man says to the dispatcher when asked where the kid was :

.410's aren't the largest shotguns but the kid was shot in the chest. I highly doubt that the old man shot the kid on his lawn and the kid walked home and then collapsed...from what I'm reading, the kid had already left the mans yard and was killed in his own yard....so not only did the old man shoot the kid, but shot him when the kid wasn't even on his property.

Taylor, he may have given a military reaction to a civilian situation.

Still.... That kid should not have went into his yard and caused his neighbor trouble and grief to even begin with. Wheter there is a law or there is no law. That is what happens when somebody treats somebody really bad for years or even just one time treat them bad. It is common sense to not treat anybody bad or they are asking for a world of trouble.

I would not send him to death row. He can do a couple years maybe 2 or 3 years in prison due to being old. He is 66 years old and in a low level minimum prison. He has never been in trouble with the law before either.

I know a bunch of military people from various branches, and I cannot think of a single one who would shoot somebody for walking on their lawn. Like I said, whether the guy pissed him off or not makes no difference.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm working and somebody calls me an a-hole or spits on me...in your mind, I would be justified in shooting them because of that. I would not do it on-duty or off-duty, and nobody in their right mind would shoot somebody for walking across their lawn.

I'd place money that this guy had mental issues to begin with. The neighbors say that he would go out and measure the blades of grass to make sure each blade was the correct height. Sounds like a mental disorder to me.

The fact that this guy could be so calm when he called 911 suggests there was something wrong with him.

Shooting a kid for walking on the grass, if he's unarmed and not making direct threats against the man's life, is WAY overboard. If it was that much of a problem, he should have gone to civil court to get an injunction or a restraining order, or called the cops if the kid wouldn't leave his property. There are civilized ways to handle that, and this wasn't one of them.

Heath said:
Taylor, he may have given a military reaction to a civilian situation.

Still.... That kid should not have went into his yard and caused his neighbor trouble and grief to even begin with. Wheter there is a law or there is no law. That is what happens when somebody treats somebody really bad for years or even just one time treat them bad. It is common sense to not treat anybody bad or they are asking for a world of trouble.

I would not send him to death row. He can do a couple years maybe 2 or 3 years in prison due to being old. He is 66 years old and in a low level minimum prison. He has never been in trouble with the law before either.

Sorry, Heath, your'e really way, way out there!

Back