Lithium ion batteries ... why do they spoil?

Waz

Reaction score
Why do lithium-ion batteries spoil? I've had a laptop for a couple years and just had to replace the battery. I heard that LiIon batteries last about 2 years, and that's just what mine lasted.

More importantly, in general terms, why do they fail? And more important than that, do all of them die 2 years after they are manufactured? If I buy 10 now, will they all be dead in a couple years, or is it because they are not charged, charged,periodically discharged, periodically charged-that they go bad?

Be happy its not Nickel Metal Hydride based, Lithium Ion batteries lasts twice longer, and getting cheaper nowaday.

Originally posted by Waz
Why do lithium-ion batteries spoil? I've had a laptop for a couple years and just had to replace the battery. I heard that LiIon batteries last about 2 years, and that's just what mine lasted.

More importantly, in general terms, why do they fail? And more important than that, do all of them die 2 years after they are manufactured? If I buy 10 now, will they all be dead in a couple years, or is it because they are not charged, charged,periodically discharged, periodically charged-that they go bad?

All rechargable batteries will only last for a certain number of years or a certain number of cycles (charges and discharges). That is just a fact of life. The longest lasting rechargables that I know of are the lead acid types (like in alarm systems and UPS's) and the regular car batteries. Both last for up to 5 years or possibly more.

Re: Re: Lithium ion batteries ... why do they spoil?

Originally posted by prostock19
All rechargable batteries will only last for a certain number of years or a certain number of cycles (charges and discharges). That is just a fact of life. The longest lasting rechargables that I know of are the lead acid types (like in alarm systems and UPS's) and the regular car batteries. Both last for up to 5 years or possibly more.

Youre right

but one negative thing about those batteries, its e not safe. Thats one of the reason why people wont use it.

but its very good for stuff that people wont be touching much. Laptop is one of thing that people will be touching.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Lithium ion batteries ... why do they spoil?

Originally posted by Justin Sane
Youre right

but one negative thing about those batteries, its e not safe. Thats one of the reason why people wont use it.

but its very good for stuff that people wont be touching much. Laptop is one of thing that people will be touching.

And also, they are VERY heavy.

Most rechargable batteries are best recharged after you completely drain it. If you use half of it, then recharge it, it won't last as long as before. If you use it completely, then recharge it. It will last longer.

Back