Kids watch on TV too much...

everything in moderation

I think it's the culture we're creating, one that works hard and wants to find an easy way to get their kid to sit still. So they look for the easy way out: the television.

Otherwise the child might be running around town causing trouble, which causes worry for the parent.

Parents are having to get more jobs, giving them less energy to care for their children at home. Parents are wanting to dump their kids off at school for a break, making our education system naturally more unrefined.

And really, it does also depend on where you're from. If you live in a big city, it's usually best to keep your kids in-doors. It's not like rural areas where there are lots of places to play without having to worry about creeps and gangs. City streets are just dangerous places to leave kids, so keeping them in-doors requires something to keep them busy. Once again we go back to the TV, with its cartoons to act as a glorified supplemental toy.

I concur with most of what you said. Parents feel the TV is a quick fix for their kids to be entertained while they are off doing their own thing. If both parents work, they just want to come home and relax without their children pestering them so they just let them watch TV. They don't even interact with them and make sure they finish their homework. I know this from experience as a teacher as my students have told me the reasons why they didn't finish their homework. They would say, "Mom (or Dad) let me watch TV. I watched this and that show." I would say, "What' is/are the benefits of watching those TV shows?" With how TV these days portray relationships, especially of the romantic nature, kids have absolutely no clue what true love means. Parents are not teaching them morals and values. Parents are not helping them use their time and mind wisely. We don't have to waste. This is one reason why these kids will struggle later on in life when they become adults. My students complained that they had to do 15 math problems as a homework and that it would take them away from doing things like watch TV, etc. I told them that in my day, I did around thirty to fifty math problems!

Regarding cartoons, it is sad when young children think animals can talk like humans.

everything in moderation

I wouldn't say to do everything in moderation because first of all, absolute quantifiers shouldn't be used in this case and secondly, there are a lot of things that shouldn't be done anyway.

I has 4 years old son. I let him watch TV on Disney jr channel, Nick Jr, pbs kids for two hour limited. I always use the cook timer to set a time for him. He love play with my iPad. I can let him use my iPad for preschool apps, world slack and USA slack games. I have to limit him on games like Angry Bird, where is my water, cut the ropes with timer up and be finish. If he won't listen to me. I took my iPad away. I don't want him to be addict to games. He need to read the books in iPad. I wish that iPad have a parental control for children use iPad for limited. I made him to play with his own toys like hot wheels, Legos build, play with instrument band, play sports and social with his friends in my neighborhood. I made him to do art & craft, painting and drawing pictures. I'm looking forward for a spring season and after snow melt. I can take him to ride in his new bike to park and trails. He will be join to youth baseball this summer. He is very active kid.

Last edited:
Back