Jobs!

HelloKittyGal

Reaction score
I am skeptic about working at a fast food chain like McDonald's. I was told by some that it's a bad place to work, and I don't know why, but my aunt told me that you get grease on your clothes.

1)Any of you worked at a fast food chain?
2)What do I tell them so that they do not give me the position as taking orders at the window or up front?
3)Also, do you read the food orders from a small t.v. up there all the time?

I have worked at a huge store that sold everything from clothes, shoes, luggages, house appliances, etc. It was a seasonal job, but it sucked so much because I felt they did not give me a lot to do on some days, and one or two times they had me by myself. They need someone to hear the PA system, and sometimes I did hear seasonal department, but I never knew where the heck to go to. Phone numbers are out of the question--I won't use it, and I will not talk over PA system.

What are some good jobs that you have had before? Of course, that does not require a degree as I have none at the moment.

HelloKittyGal said:
I am skeptic about working at a fast food chain like McDonald's. I was told by some that it's a bad place to work, and I don't know why, but my aunt told me that you get grease on your clothes.
Yes, most fast food places get grease on your clothes. Even if you were to work the cashier, you'd probably be expected to deal with some clothes so you're sure to experience a spill here or there. :dunno:
HelloKittyGal said:
1)Any of you worked at a fast food chain?
My brother worked at Arbys. I worked at Dominos Pizza. We both always came home smelling like the place we worked at. My brother smelled worse because he worked with a lot of lard and grease. My car smelled worse because of all the pizzas I was always delivering.
HelloKittyGal said:
2)What do I tell them so that they do not give me the position as taking orders at the window or up front?
I'm sure that if they realize that you can't function well at the drive-thru window, they will find you something else to do.
HelloKittyGal said:
3)Also, do you read the food orders from a small t.v. up there all the time?
My best guess is... yes. Everywhere you go, you'll see a little monitor with all of the orders. If you're concerned about knowing what the orders are, you'll do fine. Oh yeah, might I suggest you avoid Wendy's? They tend to call out the orders and I don't know how often they use the little monitors for their orders. :dunno:
HelloKittyGal said:
I have worked at a huge store that sold everything from clothes, shoes, luggages, house appliances, etc. It was a seasonal job, but it sucked so much because I felt they did not give me a lot to do on some days, and one or two times they had me by myself. They need someone to hear the PA system, and sometimes I did hear seasonal department, but I never knew where the heck to go to. Phone numbers are out of the question--I won't use it, and I will not talk over PA system.
I understand how you feel. I used to work in a grocery store and they had a PA system too. I usually reminded my co-workers that I was in the area with that I can't hear the PA so they would remind me if someone was trying to call my name. I also informed my managers that I can't understand the PA so they would usually avoid using it. I'd simply cooperate with them by telling them where I'm going in case they need to find me. I'm sure you could work out something there.
HelloKittyGal said:
What are some good jobs that you have had before? Of course, that does not require a degree as I have none at the moment.
I've worked for Blockbuster Video and Dominos Pizza. For someone like you, I might recommend Blockbuster Video. It's a nice place to start. :thumb:

Thank you for your advices. I did notice a Wendy's close by that everyone had some sort of earphones over their ear. Not one was without it.

I never worked at a fast food chain, but I did work at a Friendly's as a hostess. I used to seat people, clear off tables...and yeah, I got plenty of stains on my clothing. Nothing a good washing wouldn't take out :) But hey, look for something you enjoy doing. That's the most important thing!

It's November 2004 and I'm looking for a Job STILL!

Hello there, :

I'm new here to the forum and I just got through emailing someone and asked them somewhat as to where are the undegree hoh and deaf people are working too?
For your information, I worked at a McDonalds for 2 weeks only in the early morning hours. My boss was great, super nice, but all the co-workers kept fussing that I wasn't FAST enough. Most of those good workers were younger than me. Oh well. I told the boss that it was a problem and he didn't seem to want to communicate with them or either he didn't know how. Then later on, I worked at a MRS.Fields' Cookies in the mall and it lasted about 2 months. It was good but when a new supervisor took over, he started nickpicking on how I did things. I was out the door!
ANyhow, hang in there. I'm working a little but not full time. Bye.

Sarah Rappe'

Last edited:
I worked at a few fast food places. I was usually in the back as a cook. All the orders came up on the monitor, so you just read it and prepare the order. I liked being the cook because you don't have to deal with b*tchy customers. Plus, you can sneak some food if no one is looking!

It's nicer if you choose a restaurant where you already like to eat, because you'll already know what comes on some of the items and won't have to work so hard to memorize it. Also, you get food discounts, so better be something you want to eat. Another good thing, you get free drinks and I took full advantage! I had so much cherry coke I was just buzzing around from the caffiene.

Back