is hoh still part of deaf or what?.

yagazn

Reaction score
I've seen Ddeaf rejected hoh.
Ddeaf prefer Ddeaf only.

I'm not like look down on Ddeaf.

I'm trying to be friendly with deaf people but they rejected me is cuz I'm hoh.
And I remember a long time ago one angry deaf says, "it would be better if you're real deaf, hoh/hearie is not welcome in my group period!". me and my old friend walked away because of what he says. we thought he was kinda mean.

Does that mean I'm not part of deaf or what?. I'm confused.

I have very few deaf friend accept me as hoh.

Well I can only speak for myself,I have more in common with the deaf than I ever will with the hearies( I am hoh and oral)

Meyag, as someone who's hoh I can see both sides.
I'm orally skilled (NOT oral) Traditionally hoh kids were taught to look down on ASL and Deaf culture and to think of themselves as more hearing then Deaf.
Some hoh kids developed a high and mighty attitude that they were "better" then Signing kids.
It's still seen today from a lot of really stuck up snobs who are stereotypical UBER high acheiver AG Bad types.
Yes, there are seperatists............HOWEVER if you're openminded and say you wanna learn Sign and don't look down on Deaf culture, the gross majority of Deafies WILL accept you.
Heck, it wasn't until VERY recently that Deaf kids learned ASL. For years and years and years, it was UNDERGROUND. Plenty of Deaf folks are late-ASL learners, who came to the language and culture late!

Well I can only speak for myself,I have more in common with the deaf than I ever will with the hearies( I am hoh and oral)

Shit,I use the wrong d,I meant to say Deaf not deaf.

I'm orally skilled (NOT oral) Traditionally hoh kids were taught to look down on ASL and Deaf culture and to think of themselves as more hearing then Deaf.
Some hoh kids developed a high and mighty attitude that they were "better" then Signing kids.
It's still seen today from a lot of really stuck up snobs who are stereotypical UBER high acheiver AG Bad types.
Yes, there are seperatists............HOWEVER if you're openminded and say you wanna learn Sign and don't look down on Deaf culture, the gross majority of Deafies WILL accept you.
Heck, it wasn't until VERY recently that Deaf kids learned ASL. For years and years and years, it was UNDERGROUND. Plenty of Deaf folks are late-ASL learners, who came to the language and culture late!

I am a late ASL learner,I was force to grow up oral.

It varies on the individual.

I'm hard-of-hearing. I've been accepted in some deaf groups and not accepted in some deaf groups.

There would be times when I would attend a deaf assembly with other deaf clubs and organizations. If I stand up and say something, many of them would ignore me and tell me that I have no right to bring it up because I'm "not deaf enough".

So, I would secretly share my ideas with those I trust and those who listen to me... then let them bring it up in the meeting. :)

i'm not like that. i'm not like hearie but i'm hoh doesn't mean i look down on ASL or deaf culture.

lemme explain this to you. okay, i was born deaf by rubella. it affected only both of my ears. i learned late with sign language (start with see) at 8-9 yrs old. then i got hearing aid and i could hear by itself i mean i don't know how that happens. so my teacher have to take me to speech teacher. so i practice speech you know. that's when i became hard of hearing. i did hang out with Ddeaf/Hhoh people from elementary to high school. but as i'm getting older and i start to noticed several deaf people who rejected me becuz i'm hoh. and i met other deaf who accept me because they don't care that i'm hoh. and my sign is ASL/PSE.
i have nothing against Ddeaf even Hhoh too.

why i'm late with sign language at 8-9 yrs old.
because my parent put me in mainstream with all the hearie kids in other country (bad experience with hearie kids and hearie teacher). my parent didn't know where to find school for the deaf. so my dad had to fly out to NYC and CAL then finally found special school with deaf kids. so my dad moved me and my familys here in USA. so i learned sign language in two weeks cuz i watched deaf signs through my eyes. i don't know how that happens. i guess it's a miracle. i know it wasn't my parent's fault, they just didn't know what to do. my parent noticed my behavior changed because of the hearie kids and hearie teacher in mainstream school. that's why they decided to take me out of school with hearie kids in country. then at 11 yrs old, so i finally told my parent about what happened at school with all the hearie kids and the hearie teacher. if i were still in school with all the hearie kid then i will learn nothing. my familys know what i've been through.

look, i don't think of myself better than deaf. i have few deaf people who told me that some other deaf who think better than other deaf because of grammar english or sign language. (ASL, SEE, or PSE).

so i'm thinking of careful who i meet because i know some deaf people can be sensitive to hoh. again, i have nothing against deaf/hoh even hearie, it's just the attitude.

HOH is considered as part of Deaf.

Fine, if they wear hearing aids or CI, take it off for bedtime or whatever. They cant hear or hear a little, right? Still considered as Deaf.

im proud of to be DEAF even im HOH.

umm (clear throat). no one ever force me to become deaf. i'm still hoh. this is who i am.
no one cannot change me. i realized that if they don't want to hang out with hoh is fine with me. i simply walk away.

by the way, deafdyke. my niece read yours and she disagree with you. she says, "no one is better" and never!. it's the attitude.

norcal, i don't think you read all of mine. you're just not interested.

Sir, i accept who you are as HOH, im cool with that. For myself, i accepted myself to be part of Deaf because what i am proud of even though, im HOH (strongly).

Next time, dont assume that if im not just interested. Just courtesy to ask me and i'll reply it back.

its natural react approaches to people who is hearing or deaf. I dont blame it, because it is normal of natural react.

I am left deafness and right HOH. I am full ASL. When I type or email english. Most time, I fellowship HOH or Oral or hearing. I not fellowship deaf community so much. It depend individual. My husband is stronger oral a person. He learned too faster ASL from me.

HOH is considered as part of Deaf.

Fine, if they wear hearing aids or CI, take it off for bedtime or whatever. They cant hear or hear a little, right? Still considered as Deaf.

im proud of to be DEAF even im HOH.

I don't see anything wrong w/ this post. I am not sure what the fuss is about. I quote it now because I agree. I am hoh but when i take my aids out, I hear nothing below 75 db - - so I am 1/2 deaf!!

norcal,

sorry. but I can't rely to you just only here. cuz I already know.

look, the word you say, "I'm proud to be deaf even I'm hoh"

I'm not proud of anything. I'm just humble.

newie, I know you don't see anything wrong with his post.

peace

edit word (my mistake)

i'm not like that. i'm not like hearie but i'm hoh doesn't mean i look down on ASL or deaf culture.

lemme explain this to you. okay, i was born deaf by rubella. it affected only both of my ears. i learned late with sign language (start with see) at 8-9 yrs old. then i got hearing aid and i could hear by itself i mean i don't know how that happens. so my teacher have to take me to speech teacher. so i practice speech you know. that's when i became hard of hearing. i did hang out with Ddeaf/Hhoh people from elementary to high school. but as i'm getting older and i start to noticed several deaf people who rejected me becuz i'm hoh. and i met other deaf who accept me because they don't care that i'm hoh. and my sign is ASL/PSE.
i have nothing against Ddeaf even Hhoh too.

why i'm late with sign language at 8-9 yrs old.
because my parent put me in hearing school with all the hearie kids in other country (bad experience with hearie kids and hearie teacher). my parent didn't know where to find school for the deaf. so my dad had to fly out to NYC and CAL then finally found special school with deaf kids. so my dad moved me and my familys here in USA. so i learned sign language in two weeks cuz i watched deaf signs through my eyes. i don't know how that happens. i guess it's a miracle. i know it wasn't my parent's fault, they just didn't know what to do. my parent noticed my behavior changed because of the hearie kids and hearie teacher in hearing school. that's why they decided to take me out of school with hearie kids in country. then at 11 yrs old, so i finally told my parent about what happened at school with all the hearie kids and the hearie teacher. if i were still in school with all the hearie kid then i will learn nothing. my familys know what i've been through.

look, i don't think of myself better than deaf. i have few deaf people who told me that some other deaf who think better than other deaf because of grammar english or sign language. (ASL, SEE, or PSE).

so i'm thinking of careful who i meet because i know some deaf people can be sensitive to hoh. again, i have nothing against deaf/hoh even hearie, it's just the attitude.

EDIT: not mainstream, I mean "hearing school only" I'm in the hearing school with all the hearie kids and hearie teacher.

Also "I learn nothing" what I mean is that I have no sign language, no hearing aid, no speech" that's what happened to me. my parent noticed my behavior change because of that hearing school. I can't say personal here.

that's about it.
no need to quote me.

Honestely, HOH are still part of deaf since HOH couldnt hear fully as hearing people does, but i careless if HOH arent part of deaf or hearing, HOH are still in BOTH/part of our(deaf/hearing) worlds :]

I've seen Ddeaf rejected hoh.
Ddeaf prefer Ddeaf only.

I'm not like look down on Ddeaf.

I'm trying to be friendly with deaf people but they rejected me is cuz I'm hoh.
And I remember a long time ago one angry deaf says, "it would be better if you're real deaf, hoh/hearie is not welcome in my group period!". me and my old friend walked away because of what he says. we thought he was kinda mean.

Does that mean I'm not part of deaf or what?. I'm confused.

I have very few deaf friend accept me as hoh.

That's interesting cuz I was born profoundly deaf since birth but I am still not fully accepted by many Deaf people cuz of my oral upbringing. Many of them think I am HOH but I am probably much more deaf than they are. LOL!

Those people who said that to u are stupid...

that's Interesting Cuz I Was Born Profoundly Deaf Since Birth But I Am Still Not Fully Accepted By Many Deaf People Cuz Of My Oral Upbringing. Many Of Them Think I Am Hoh But I Am Probably Much More Deaf Than They Are. Lol!

Those People Who Said That To U Are Stupid...
^ Indeed! ^-^

Meyag, I think you misunderstood.
I said the reason why some Deafies aren't exactly welcoming to hoh or orally skilled folks is b/c SOME "hearing impaired" style (eg AG Bad style) have had a supeirority complex, about being oral and supposdly better educated then Signer Deafies.
I'm hoh myself and orally skilled. I've found that if you're open to Sign and Deaf culture, and don't have a supeority complex about being "better then" someone, people will welcome you to Deaf World. It really hasn't been all that long, since most kids were kneejerkingly orally educated. It's only been thirty years!
It's exactly the way people will think you're snobby if you act all snobby about having gone to Harvard.

Back