Interpreters with dreads

dudechillout

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm planning on getting dreads and I'm omw to becoming a interpreter and I'm just wondering what the deaf community has to say about them? I feel it shouldn't be a problem if they are kept back but would still like your input. Thaaaaaanks!!

Dreads??? What is dreads mean??? I have never know about that word "dreads" about interpreters. You want to become interpreter.

You wrote "I am planning on getting dreads". Are you saying that interpreters have dreads??? :confused:

I personally feel they look hideous... :shock: That is just my take on them appearance wise... :ugh:

Professionally, you'd have to see what that particular company would have to say about them. I know working at the hospital I work for, they're not allowed. I have never had or seen a terp with them, but I don't work for a terp service, I work for a hospital. :dunno: Professionally speaking, I don't think they look professional... that's just my personal opinion.

I am a big to each their own person too. If I needed the services of a terp I wouldn't ask for a new one or turn them away because of tattoos ( As I am plastered ) piercings ( As I also have a lot ) or a hair style ( including dreads ) even though I personally don't like them and they're not my favorite. To each their own. That's just something you're going to have to figure out if the particular company you're going to work for will have an issue. I can tell you I had a friend with them and she had a hell of a time finding work with them... but that's all I can tell you about them... Also, they're a pain in the arse to upkeep... :dunno:

I mean, I guess some of them are Oooooooooooooookay... as long as you have the ass tons of money it takes to upkeep with them.... and I mean ass tons... If you don't upkeep with them at the salon every 2 weeks or so... they become incredibly unkempt... and that's when they become hideous. If you keep up with them and have the ass tons of money every 2 or 3 weeks, they stay looking like this... and those are alright looking I suppose.

3870-389x400-dreads12.jpg

They are very tight wound and upkept... she probably goes every 2 or 3 weeks and does and hour or 2 of upkeep daily on them to keep them that nice...

if you slack at ALL... and don't sink all that money into them... they start and end up looking like this...

Dreadlocks2.jpg

That does not look professional.... ( To me ) and I personally wouldn't want to hire someone that had that...

Plus most of the time when you want them gone, you have to have them cut out... :ugh: Again, that's just my personal take... my friend with hers... she said the money in upkeep just wasn't worth it to keep them smelling nice and looking nice... because you can't wash your hair... ( Shampoo and condition ) You have special ways and all this stupid leave in crap... it's a pain...

Dreads??? What is dreads mean??? I have never know about that word "dreads" about interpreters. You want to become interpreter.

You wrote "I am planning on getting dreads". Are you saying that interpreters have dreads??? :confused:

Many different kinds. It's a hairstyle... Here are a few examples.

images

images

images

Yea sorry if I wasn't clear but I'm getting the temporary synthetic dreads lol. Like these: they are gonna math my hair color too they aren't gonna be neon colored

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAllDeaf1404895378.943219.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAllDeaf1404895378.943219.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 14
My 17 yr. old has had them for a year now. He has very long hair, actually beautiful!...He wears his dread locks under a cap or just pinned up in the back...but let's 'em loose when he hangs out w/friends....Seriously, I don't like 'em either...it's just a "fad" for now.

My 17 yr. old has had them for a year now. He has very long hair, actually beautiful!...He wears his dread locks under a cap or just pinned up in the back...but let's 'em loose when he hangs out w/friends....Seriously, I don't like 'em either...it's just a "fad" for now.

Always a fad.... :roll: What can you do though? *sigh* Sad that they mess up the hair when they have to be chopped out! :doh:

Never bothered me. As long as they don't obstruct the view of the face and hands.

Im okay with dreads as long as theyre taken care of. I dont want to be staring at an interp with unkept hair.

Dreads might make it more difficult to keep the clean image but if a person is committed to the hairstyle. Then why not?

I know my work does not allow weird color dyed hair in their policy handbook , idk about dreads as never seen it with coworkers.

An interpreter should really blend into the background and not be a distraction.

I don't mind dreads. Some women get theirs very tastefully done. So as long as they're not getting in the way of interpreting, go for it.

(I can see, however, that it might be frowned at in certain professional scenarios.)

Women do all sorts of shyt to their hair...but let a man get a Perm...some think he's obviously "gay"....even color their hair....Inasmuch as I would not have Dreads...if you like them and keep them clean, then go for it!...It's ur hair.

While working or interpreting, might be a good choice to keep them pinned up in the back or even wear a small cap to cover them (as my son does). He did at graduation and also going to school....at home?...It's his choice, as long as he doesn't "sling them around" and knock me in the eye or head! I've got pixs of my son as parties with his Dreads flying everywhere while dancing....LOL....but at special functions, even his part-time job, he covers them to look more "neat" and professional.

Yea sorry if I wasn't clear but I'm getting the temporary synthetic dreads lol. Like these: they are gonna math my hair color too they aren't gonna be neon colored
I'm hearing, and a retired interpreter.

If these are temporary fake dreads, then why not leave them off for assignments, and put them on in your off-duty hours?

What does your ITP instructor/advisor suggest?

The opinions of deaf consumers is extremely important, indeed. However, don't forget, the opinions of the hearing clients who pay for the service are also important. Just something to keep in mind.

If all parties are comfortable with the dreads, that's fine.

If you must wear them during assignments, I would suggest tying them back for a more professional, less distracting appearance.

One principle to keep in mind: as a terp, it's never about you. You should be as "invisible" as possible. You aren't there to impress anyone with your style or coolness. You are there to do a job, and leave a positive impression of the interpreting process and profession. Don't forget, though it's not right or fair, to the hearing people, the look and demeanor of the terp can influence their impression of deaf people.

Just food for thought. :)

Looks like a lot of work to keep them looking good and clean. Also you might want to think about the weight of all of that hair. If your prone to headaches these might make them worse. I would also think it would be very warm carrying around that much hair. To each their own I guess.

That's what I was saying... they're a TON of work.... If you can dedicate the time, money and energy into keeping them looking sharp and 110% clean, by all means go for it. If you are going to slack off at all and let them go even the littlest and let them become unkempt... no. That last picture I posted can happen in a matter of days with them... They're no easy task... If someone showed up to work for me with that mop on their head I don't think I could pay attention to what they were signing to me... I'd be too distracted to that atrocity on their head! :laugh2: Seriously though... :shock:

Back