Implants changing life for Modesto girl born deaf

:hmm: I wonder if you are just imagining. If they are hard of hearing especially with mild hearing loss, then they can pick up words better. But the thing is that there are different degrees of hearing loss. No sound is not the same but in the hearing reality you expect the sounds to be the same as any hearing people hear. It is not true and you are wrong. That does not make me right but I know what sounds is like with my hearing aids but I know that CI is better than the hearing aid with environment sounds. CI children still get lost in trying to pick up words.

How do you think she is faking understanding the difference between "gun" and "gum" with her audiologist? It is a controlled test. I'm not talking about what I see everyday (which I do see her understanding the things I'm saying without lipreading) I'm talking about the actual testing that her teachers and audiologists do.

Are there any CI users out there (or people with experience working with CI users) that can help me out???

I'm not saying that they understand everything, in every situation, but it is clear, MANY CI users (especially those implanted young) can understand spoken language!!

There are CI users who can talk and understand on the phone, not just in real life, face to face. They don't just hear enviromental sounds, they understand spoken language.

Faire_jour, what the heck is running speech? No, they can not pick up the spoken language. Of course they can hear the environment sounds, but not to listen to the words. The whole thing you have been talking about is trying to "fix" your daughter and other CI children to listen and understand speech. You are way out of your league. :roll: You, hearing people, just don't understand nothing about deafness. Gawd!! :roll:

Here is a link to 26 stories and videos of people using CI's to hear spoken language. They are all subtitled and both the person being interviewed and the interviewer use CI's.

Cochlear Implant Online

(Note, I do NOT agree with the stuff on this site. I am just passing along the videos)

You are so very very wrong!

Ask Lissa if she can understand speech, or Kailie or Coolgirlspyer90. They all had hearing loss from a very young age and use CI's to understand spoken language. In the booth, with no lipreading, my daughter can understand 96% of words given to her on her speech testing. (That doesn't mean she can understand everything in all places but) She does understand when people talk to her, all day everyday.

You are wrong.

True. I can understand about 95% of the words in a speech test in the booth as well. I know exactly where you're coming from F_J.

My husband brought up a very very good question about this "fixing" thing and I am debating with myself whether to start a thread on it or not.

Should I dare? He really did have a good point.

Any thoughts?

I, for one, would be interested in reading about this if you set up this thread.

I'm talking about deaf people being able to understand speech.

You can understand speech with your CI, correct?

as a person who wore hearing aids before preschool, and had CI 2003 (my late 20's). no, not everything. I hear it, but I can't distinguish the differences. I still ask people to speak clearly to me.

My husband brought up a very very good question about this "fixing" thing and I am debating with myself whether to start a thread on it or not.

Should I dare? He really did have a good point.

Any thoughts?

Probably not a good idea. It will cause division when we have a common ground... I think???? supporting ASL is one.

I say, the day they come up with a cure... is when it is a good idea to discuss fixing.

as a person who wore hearing aids before preschool, and had CI 2003 (my late 20's). no, not everything. I hear it, but I can't distinguish the differences. I still ask people to speak clearly to me.

I know you can't hear and understand everything, but would you say that it is impossible to hear speech with a CI?

this afternoon, my aunt came to visit... she said "what was that" I couldn't hear what she was talking about. Then she said it was raining hard, and I couldn't hear that either... so those soft sound probably is missing from people's speech.

"Faire_jour, what the heck is running speech? No, they can not pick up the spoken language. Of course they can hear the environment sounds, but not to listen to the words. The whole thing you have been talking about is trying to "fix" your daughter and other CI children to listen and understand speech. You are way out of your league. You, hearing people, just don't understand nothing about deafness. Gawd!!"

" I wonder if you are just imagining. If they are hard of hearing especially with mild hearing loss, then they can pick up words better. But the thing is that there are different degrees of hearing loss. No sound is not the same but in the hearing reality you expect the sounds to be the same as any hearing people hear. It is not true and you are wrong. That does not make me right but I know what sounds is like with my hearing aids but I know that CI is better than the hearing aid with environment sounds. CI children still get lost in trying to pick up words."

I disagree with the bolded part.

For me, if they don't speak clearly, they sound gibblish.

But if they do speak clearly, you understand, correct?

I'm just asking if you agree that it is impossible for CI users to understand speech.

environment sounds would be dog barking, footstep, beeping, baby crying... but just to get into the complex of those sounds is different.

The idea that I am "imagining" that my daughter understands me if insane. That somehow I made up or faked the testing results...I don't get it....

But if they do speak clearly, you understand, correct?

I'm just asking if you agree that it is impossible for CI users to understand speech.

I was the same way with my hearing aids.

if you tell me if I can hear them talking... yes, I'm aware they are talking to me, even without looking at them. But to understand, It depend on the words and how quiet it is. Most of the time, I just know what they are saying (thanks to speech therapy) . Just like someone is drawing a picture of a flower, and you know ahead of time what they trying to draw as they are drawing it. Another word, I am not all that sure how much I truly understand speech after all these years of hearing with my hearing aids. but I never been tested for it either. My audiologist and I weren't all that interested in how much I can understand.

Last edited:
Back