I need help to pick best Range Router.

BartSimpsx24x

Reaction score
I need help to pick best Range router I have been surfing website to find best Range Booster Router because I want using my MVP upstairs without low signal and the internet will be downstairs. Do you had any idea or any suggest what to get?

Dont buy LINKSYS routers as they had disbanded H323 support in their firmware. However, I do recommend Dlink DIR-655 router, Very good here especially upstairs in our home.

Dont buy LINKSYS routers as they had disbanded H323 support in their firmware. However, I do recommend Dlink DIR-655 router, Very good here especially upstairs in our home.

I am having issues with DIR-655 router and VP200 so I would not recommend the 655. Some VP outgoing vp calls to other vp sometimes results a black screen. I googled and notice some folks said the latest 655 firmware is still buggy.

Right now I can call every my VP friend but 1 friend he get black screen from me and I know fault is 655 because I put on old Dlink 604 and no problems.

I already tried many different settings and firewalls and even Sorenson tech tried many method to help me but no luck still one same friend cannot call with 655 and get black screen ...

Remember again it work fine and no problems with old Dlink 604 and I am pretty advanced when it come to networking system and setups so the blame is not ISP or VP200 but point to DIR-655 ...

I heard good things about DIR-625 so I might get that one soon if Dlink does not release a new firmware for 655.

Anyone using DIR 625 with good results on all VPs?

With me DIR-625 working great with VP-200 I am using Hovrs router but DIR-625 has low signal upstairs on my mvp.

my Linksys WRT54GS with DD-WRT, work MVP, Router is 1 floor, I check both 2 floor and 3 floor work mvp great! but my friend is D-Link DIR-625 won't work 3 floor from 1 floor

I would prefer to buy a network N router, not network G router because it (N types) extends more range.

DLink's extreme N routers are the best ones for your solution and make sure which can work with the videophones.

Ask Sorenson and Hovrs both for their recommended list of routers up to date.

I wouldn't recommend Linksys routers except very few of them could work out, I believe. But better ask them before so.

my Linksys WRT54GS with DD-WRT, work MVP, Router is 1 floor, I check both 2 floor and 3 floor work mvp great! but my friend is D-Link DIR-625 won't work 3 floor from 1 floor

What if I don't want linksys router? I don't want linksys router anymore because network on linksys keeping going down and up and it being so senstive etc.. I rather D-Link.

I would prefer to buy a network N router, not network G router because it (N types) extends more range.

DLink's extreme N routers are the best ones for your solution and make sure which can work with the videophones.

Ask Sorenson and Hovrs both for their recommended list of routers up to date.

I wouldn't recommend Linksys routers except very few of them could work out, I believe. But better ask them before so.

That what I thought. What about DIR-655?

That what I thought. What about DIR-655?

I'm not sure about the 655 router but recommend you to call Sorenson and Hovrs to find out which is the best router for your situation to solve with.

If you want your videophones sharing one router, then I would recommend a DIR-628 router (network N), the most ideal router for this solution... that they told me. Although one videophone can do both incoming and outgoing calls while other videophone can only do outgoing calls. http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=670

I use a switch and two routers with two IP addresses... mvp and laptop using a 625 router for Wifi use while pc and vp200 on other router (wired). Both videophones could perform both incoming and outgoing calls that way, seamlessly.

you don't want linksys, it is fine but you have problem troubleshoot, sorry, I never use d-link grow up
WRT54GS work 3 CPU, Camera wireless, VP-200, MVP, Printer Wireless, perfect all in one, I never second router or switch, becuase DD-WRT have multi VLan

you want make it by yourself at WIFI Antenna Hack! - Video

What if I don't want linksys router? I don't want linksys router anymore because network on linksys keeping going down and up and it being so senstive etc.. I rather D-Link.

Linksys tech support told me that they are advise me that I do not download the DD-WRT software because warranty on linksys routers will be void. You can get firmware from the linksys website as well.

Dlink is okay with me.

you don't want linksys, it is fine but you have problem troubleshoot, sorry, I never use d-link grow up
WRT54GS work 3 CPU, Camera wireless, VP-200, MVP, Printer Wireless, perfect all in one, I never second router or switch, becuase DD-WRT have multi VLan

you want make it by yourself at WIFI Antenna Hack! - Video

I rather stressless so I rather go to D-LINK.

I don't care, WRT54GS since 5 year, I am happy! I don't need N what for? becuase internet about up to 28mbips, if more than 74mbips I will buy N future

D-Link and Linksys never update for old, nothing, DD-WRT many upgrade more functions

Linksys tech support told me that they are advise me that I do not download the DD-WRT software because warranty on linksys routers will be void. You can get firmware from the linksys website as well.

Dlink is okay with me.

Only reason I have 655 is because of the gigabyte ethernet. 625 have N but only limited 10/100 ethernet.

I use giga network to transfer my media files or my recorded shows between computers.

I am having issues with DIR-655 router and VP200 so I would not recommend the 655. Some VP outgoing vp calls to other vp sometimes results a black screen. I googled and notice some folks said the latest 655 firmware is still buggy.

I use DIR-655 for making calls from VP100, Dlink DVC1000 and MVP as well. No issues with black screen as far I am concerned and I am using the latest firmware downloaded from Dlink FTP site. I don't really know what the issue youre having with DIR-655 is but I suggest you to open every ports possible allowing cross VP platforms compatibility (Eg VP-MVP)

Right now I can call every my VP friend but 1 friend he get black screen from me and I know fault is 655 because I put on old Dlink 604 and no problems.

Only one glitch in firmware code or little misconfiguration settings can create big dramas

I already tried many different settings and firewalls and even Sorenson tech tried many method to help me but no luck still one same friend cannot call with 655 and get black screen ...

No matter what Sorenson, HOVRS or other techs in VRS companies try their best helping you. They are full of dumb asses and has had enough with these people. I had an engineer from D-Link remoting into my DIR-655 router and had made some configuration changes allowing all video calls to work. Thats the only way they can help me.

Remember again it work fine and no problems with old Dlink 604 and I am pretty advanced when it come to networking system and setups so the blame is not ISP or VP200 but point to DIR-655 ...

No matter how advanced you are, I am a certified Microsoft Windows Engineer working for Kaiser Permanente and has worked for IBM for 10 years. I get mistakes in setting up configuration for my DIR-655. Get some help from D-Link and have them to look into your router remotely

Simply buy a big antenna and plug it to your DIR-625 router and you could get more boost to the signal. My friend has an antenna plugged to his old D link router so his roommate and him can use computer anywhere in the house with good signal strengh.

Back