I got a very strange mail from DMV????

katz4life

Reaction score
My friend to whom I used to live with for three years, he gave me the mail today which he was holding it for me when I am visiting him. I opened it and read the letter...I was so flabberstaged and puzzled. The date of mail sent was February 2, 2015 and the address DMV sent to my friend's house that I no longer reside at. I moved out from that address in February 2011 which is over four years ago. The letter was about Suspension Order on my driving license if I do not pay 600 dollars by March 2, 2015. It said "For failure of driving responsibilty assessment". I do not know what it means. Remember this for a fact: I do not have a car or vehicle since August 2007. I have not rented a car since September or October 2014. I did paid the fine for speed ticket last time driving a rental car traveling in upstate NY I have the proof of paid money order receipt, I think. But they did not explain what exactly kind of reason of suspension. I'm so lost about this letter...must it be some mistake? There is no shown of phone number from DMV on this letter and the address on this letter is which I no longer lived at. If something happened to the letter that I never heard of or received at my current address, it means they have never called me at my phone number, either. Bottom of the letter, it says that if I do not pay by the due of date (it was past 1 and half months ago), I would be arrested and charged with misdemeanor.

I do not get it. What do you think of this? A mistake? A fraud/scam letter?

EDIT: I forgot to add that I just rented a car from Enterprise yesterday...if my license is really biz suspended as they checked my license at rental place, I'd known. But nothing happened. Makes no damn sense. So it tells me that a letter smells like bullsh*t?

If the DMV writes a letter without a letterhead... chances it may be a fraud letter. I'm sure the government agencies would use a letterhead with the business address and phone number. You might want to get the authorities check the letter out.

Yes what Calvin said, go to the real DMV offices and ask them what's up with the letter. I'd bet it's a fraud.

Do what Calvin and Nihilist said. It doesn't sound right.

Update: I followed the DMV website link as the letter wrote. DMV has letterhead. I went to that website and said it has to create own account to register an account to get in to check my current status of my license. I did fill in everything with my license ID and name and all, then i checked the status...red cross - suspended. Wow. Next line was 10 points. I clicked on details but it showed up in a blank, not showing what 10 points are for. Ughh...I have never heard of Driver Responsibilty Assessment before. In the past 17 years I did paid all speed tickets on guilty plea with signature on time. Between the last October and February 2 this weird letter was sent to my old address... that is total 5 month. Why add 600 dollars to charge to be paid in order to restore the privilege to drive? I dont feel right. I wonder anyone here has experience of receiving a letter such as this - driver responsibility assessment or whatever that title crap is. Is it new or? I just dont feel right because it sounds like they are ripping people off to scam or steal money for greed sake over nonsense. Even the State trooper never said anything to me about driver responsibility assessment or that I got 10 points when he checked my license on the computer while i was being pulled over on the highway last Fall.

Still baffling as it is because my license being suspended and i am still able to drive A rental car after my license was checked out by rental car agent.

katz, I never heard of this so I Googled around and found this, in case it's useful<don't know where you are>: https://nytrafficticket.com/the-driver-responsibility-assessment-fee/

OMFG!!! WTF?!? Wow, that was established in 2004 - 11 years behind. Now I see the list of points and how much charge....wtf again, 300 dollars is what I've paid for a speed ticket letter which was sent to my current address last Fall it meant i got 6 points, right? But 10 points for 600 dollars in DMV letter was sent to my old address five months later. What the hell is going on. They must be dishonest playing games with me!!

Its confusion for me too. I got speeding tickets twice. I paid about the total of 800 bucks plus court there were more.. reason is that i could have lost my license. Im relieved that laywer wavied my suspensed license so i can drive but i paid another fine. i cant remember.. from now on, i have been careful with driving. ( i try hard!~)

OMFG!!! WTF?!? Wow, that was established in 2004 - 11 years behind. Now I see the list of points and how much charge....wtf again, 300 dollars is what I've paid for a speed ticket letter which was sent to my current address last Fall it meant i got 6 points, right? But 10 points for 600 dollars in DMV letter was sent to my old address five months later. What the hell is going on. They must be dishonest playing games with me!!

How many times did you get pulled over since 2004?

no problem, SilverRoxy..yeah, looks like it sucks..confusing that you were never notified, katz4life!

dont pay one penny it scam...I in uk and same scam happening here..can you take it to police get them check it

What did is say on the envelope ? When the DMV send a letter I think it said it's a dated letter and need to be open right way . You should try to find all you canceled checks or credit card receipts as proof of payments for any tickets you had gotten and go a DMV office , if you have an AAA office they might also be able too , some AAA office now have a DMV department .
If you still have any car registration bring that too and see if your insurance company can give the date of you when stopped your auto insurance if you did stop it.

How many times did you get pulled over since 2004?

Let's see for about speed ticket: 2005 in North Carolina, 2007 outside of Rochester, 2011 in Western PA, 2013 near Rochester, September 2014 up near Watertown, NY.

dreadful people do these things..we spose have IT police I sure must have them in States.
I know web site that has list of latest scams but not sure what it is but will find out before days over.Most of them either come from or via East Europe..Don't know if pos check their IP see if proxy server

Whatdidyousay, in my original post, i dont have own car since 2007 It means no registration necessary. i have been renting a car on occasion. It means i buy insurance when i rent.

According to SilverRoxy's link.. the way I am reading it... the NC and Western PA tickets are not counted as they were out of state. I don't know how it works in NY but I would think that after a certain number of years the points do roll off your record (I think 7 years?) so the 2007 would not be there anymore. The only one that would be on her record would be the 2014 one. So... if her speeding ticket was for 30 or more MPH then yes she will get dinged for the fee (6 or more points). The strange thing is if if the ticket was in September 2014 and the letter didn't come until February 2015... guessing there is a backlog in logging the tickets & assessments/judgements.

That's a weird fee- I have never heard of it either. Pretty sure I had more than 6 points at one time (I don't want to get into why lol) but by now all the points i accrued are not on my record anymore (that and they were in other states- CO and SC from about 5 years ago).

Fyi, it shows u do have warrant and whenever cop stops u, they will arrest u. Best fix it.

If u do get sleeding ticket, heres caveat, they send u total of 3 tickets for speeding. Yes, everyone whose found guilty of speeding must pay total of 4 installments over 3 years period. Thats what is hitting u. Nys passed that law several years ago, whats even more taking drivers education course is also mandatory.
DoEs not matter if y have vehicle or not. Its all about drivers license itself.

Sorry it hit u hard, ur not alone.

Back