I almost killed my dog Marley today

Angel1989

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am sick about it. Marley chewed through my electric blanket power cord. I thought she had her bone. Hubby said it had enough power that it should have killed her since she chewed all the way through it. I am always so careful. Just like a baby. I can not take my eye off of her. Needless to say the blanket is gone. I am really upset.

Maybe get bitter apple spray for electrical cords and any other things she might chew that are dangerous.

Thanks

Maybe get bitter apple spray for electrical cords and any other things she might chew that are dangerous.
Thanks Botts. I knew you would catch my post. I have not had a problem with her chewing on stuff other then her toys. So this just makes me sick to my stomach. I will try your idea. Can you find that at a grocery store? Thanks for understanding. I thought people would get mad at me for making a stupid mistake. I would be lost without her.

You can usually buy it at a pet store, but if none are close, Amazon will send it right to your door.

It was an accident. No worries, but am glad Marley didn't get hurt. I had a house-broken lop earred rabbit that did the same thing and ruined a lot of my lamps cords....finally had to put him outside in a Hutch. My doggie does not chew at all, only just little doggie bones.....the kitty is another thing!...Always playing with cords and such.

Wow! I'm glad your pup is ok! Im really lucky that my dog doesn't chew on anything except what we give him permiession to chew. Don't ask how I trained that, I've no clue! LOL!

The bitter spray doesn't seem to work on my dog or my gf's sisters dog.

Thanks Botts. Always so helpful. I will just have to be a little colder. The blanket is gone. It freaked me out too much to keep it on the couch. I am kicking myself over what could have happened. I am buying that spray right now.

Thanks Botts. I knew you would catch my post. I have not had a problem with her chewing on stuff other then her toys. So this just makes me sick to my stomach. I will try your idea. Can you find that at a grocery store? Thanks for understanding. I thought people would get mad at me for making a stupid mistake. I would be lost without her.

A pet store should have Bitter Apple . My dog Marty chewed on a a cord to my fan , the fan was not plugged in thanks goodness! I try to give a treat that he can chew on every day so he can get rid off some of his needs to chew the wrong things. Marty chewed on my shoes when I first got him! He was right next to me but I could not hear him eating my shoe!! I am glad your dog is OK!
I tried putting hot powder pepper on a cord to keep Marty from chewing on it put the pepper did not stay on the cord very good.

Well - we had a border collie/golden retriever and chewed through the cord for a table lamp and he got shocked pretty roughly. He was dazed for a day or two, but okay. The vet did check him out, but said he would be fine. After that, Licorice became an outside dog. Just recently, Sammy, our tuxedo cat, chewed through a cord on the pre-lit Christmas tree and he knocked out the power to 2/3 of the lights. He was fine after that, but stayed away from the tree.

Wow! I'm glad your pup is ok! Im really lucky that my dog doesn't chew on anything except what we give him permiession to chew. Don't ask how I trained that, I've no clue! LOL!

The bitter spray doesn't seem to work on my dog or my gf's sisters dog.

Marley does not chew on anything either. This was a first and almost last time. I am lucky she is ok. Thanks Cheetah.

Actually, you need to buy more good toys for your dog soon as possible. He needs something to chew with his teeth. Please watch out for things that are made in China. Plus, always read the food label (cookies/bones) to see if they are from China before you buy them. No kidding. How about use your finger for a toy as temporary? Smile...

I tried the bitter apple, but I needed to apply it often. Maybe look into some of those super hot sauces? You know the kind: "Beyond insanity" or "Ground Zero" names. They are likely to emit a strong odor that would repel any animal with a sense of smell. If not, just a slight sniffing would do the trick. No need to use a lot, since capsaicin is pretty powerful. Electric cord chewing is not only deadly for Marley, but could be deadly for everyone in the house.

Actually, you need to buy more good toys for your dog soon as possible. He needs something to chew with his teeth. Please watch out for things that are made in China. Plus, always read the food label (cookies/bones) to see if they are from China before you buy them. No

Believe me she has lots of toys and bones. She is quite spoiled. This was a freak accident and won't happen again.

It's possible that the blanket cord may have had something of your smell on it, and she was chewing it for the same reason that (some) dogs like to chew on shoes and slippers - because it smells like Mom.

I'm glad it all ended all right and Marley didn't get hurt.

Casey started to chew on a cord once when he was a puppy, and both my husband and I yelled at him and pulled him away from it so fast it scared him to death! He never tried that again.

He did manage to chew up two pairs of my glasses, however.

Puppies - impossible to think of everything they might get into!

Oh gosh Angle, YOU didn't almost kill her, it was just an accident.
What matters - she is okay now (he?)

and we all learn from our mistakes.

And anyway, it is impossible to, and nobody is perfectly alert 24/7
so, please don't be so hard on yourself :hug:

Fuzzy

vanilla is not safe for dogs, it has alcohol in it which is bad for dogs!!

The alcohol would evaporate quickly when applied as a thin coating. Dog would need to lick at it right after it was applied to get any alcohol from it.

Oh gosh Angle, YOU didn't almost kill her, it was just an accident.
What matters - she is okay now (he?)

and we all learn from our mistakes.

And anyway, it is impossible to, and nobody is perfectly alert 24/7
so, please don't be so hard on yourself :hug:

Fuzzy

Yeah, when I first saw the title I was like what?? You almost kill your dog! As I opened the thread and read it...ooooh..it's about electric cord..... whew...

Seriously... anything bound to happen to anyone who are in the mist of learning stage. Dog, cat, kids, anybody... explore new experience and trying out something. Just like my year old 120 lbs pup chewed right through the electric cord and he suddenly jump up and shook his face so fast. I didn't see what he was doing behind the sofa, I thought he was lying down licking his paw...but after I explore what he did and turned out that the cord been cut through. I couldn't hold my laugh... his lesson learned. He did quite a few time before he finally stopped chewing the cord...he's nuts...
Really the moral of the story..we can't keep eyes on him/her every seconds but we did what we could do best to protect him/her.

Marley is doing great today. I replaced the electric blanket cord and moved it out of her site. She is missing my warm blanket but I will not take another risk. She only ways 4 lbs so the shock could have hurt her very bad or worse.
First time for everthing I guess. Lesson learned!!!!

Back