HP kills TouchPad, looks to exit PC business

Banjo

Expelled
Premium Member
Reaction score
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Hewlett-Packard is taking a hatchet to its business and doing some radical restructuring.

The company said Thursday that it is looking to spin off its industry-leading but struggling personal computer business. HP also killed off the TouchPad tablet it launched last month, as well as its webOS smartphone line.

HP kills TouchPad, looks to exit PC business - Aug. 18, 2011

Quite a surprise I have to say.

Yes, Best Buy had sold 25,000 of the 270,000 TouchPads. Not enough to be selling. WebOS is worth more dead than alive.

Some different store like Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc. have been selling the 16GB TouchPad for $100, and the 32GB version for $150 but they are all sold out. WebOS is alive or dead??? I think that developers have worked to switch Android if they had gotten. Many buyers still be hungry to buy cheap one. Crazy!!

Only idiot people don't realize that WebOS is the BEST mobile OS in market. Unfortunately, it come with POORER hardware.

Hey... I still have Palm Pre and running for over 2 years already. I still enjoy the friendly texting, email and web via multi-task in best way than iPhone would does. Heck fastest switch you ever seen.

I'm disappointment that HP didn't spend to create a better hardware and decide to give up. Big LOSS of $1.2 billion purchase from Palm. Not wise...

yup- same with compaq. When HP bought compaq they just rebranded some of the compaq commercial units to the retail market with HP on it. SAD!!!
Compaq had really good things going till downfall with HP.

Android Gingerbread will be installed on HP TouchPad soon, developers said.

i wouldn't say no to getting a HP touchpad if you don't expect too much out of a now-$100 tablet. if i bought one, it'd be pretty much strictly for surfing the internet, facebook, twitter and the like from my couch or bed. i hear it's very capable hardware though. it's a shame HP gave up on it so quickly. and i do like that it is capable of running flash, so hello hulu videos!

if i could actually find a store that has these in stock, i'd pick one up. as it is, every place is sold out at the moment. maybe later this week there will be more.

I read that webOS runs significantly faster on an iPad compared to HP's TouchPad.

The website SlickDeals.net has rounded up a few other merchants that are listing the TouchPad at the same prices and indicating that many are already sold out. From SlickDeals.net ...

* PC Richard--Sold out

* Target--Sold out
* Sam's Club--Sold out

* Office Depot--Sold out

* Wal-Mart--Sold out for online shipping
* MicroCenter - 16 GB --Sold out; orders confirmed by email are being followed by cancellation emails, even in cases of ordering only one.

* MicroCenter - 32 GB--Sold out

* Fry's--Sold out

* HP Small & Medium Business [hp.com]--Still in stock. Will show up as full price. Call HP for price adjustment.

Other retailers -- such as Amazon, Fry's Electronics, NewEgg -- haven't taken up the price drop as of Saturday morning, but such a move could happen. According to SlickDeals, Staples is selling the TouchPad for $99.99 and $149.99 in-store only.

While the sellouts are popping up at many online retailers, it's not clear if the same demand is taking place in stores as well. So for those out and about shopping today, let us know what you're seeing in the comments.

And as always, sound off in the comments and let us know what you think of all this.

A few commenters from an earlier Technology blog post on the Canadian price cuts have asked why someone would want to buy a device that HP will no longer support or produce, or an operating system that has so far failed to attract developers to build up an app catalog.

Other commenters took a different view, seeing $99.99 as a bargain for a device so good at simple computing tasks such as surfing the Web and checking email.

HP TouchPad mania: TouchPads selling out in U.S. at $99.99 - latimes.com

Some different store like Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc. have been selling the 16GB TouchPad for $100, and the 32GB version for $150 but they are all sold out. WebOS is alive or dead??? I think that developers have worked to switch Android if they had gotten. Many buyers still be hungry to buy cheap one. Crazy!!
that is true lot expensive lots of popular techincal improve development to new improve change new fresh!

I got a 16 GB TouchPad. It's a pretty cool device, even though the future of WebOS is uncertain at this point (closer to dead than alive imo, but with the recent influx of new TouchPad users, that could very well change).

The OS is pretty nice, and I like the way it handles multitasking in the form of cards. I threw a couple patches and tweaks on it (very easy to do) to make it a bit more speedy, and the difference is crazy. The browser is not as good as it could be (imo), but it's serviceable - I do love that it can handle flash, unlike the iPad!

I have a decent twitter app, the facebook app is awesome, and i have apps for kindle, instapaper, reddit, video playback (local and streaming), and with a workaround, hulu works fine. I have a few games like Angry Birds and solitaire. I even have a SuperNES emulator on there! The only thing I'm really missing is Netflix, but I do have my iPhone and PC for that. There are definitely fewer apps in the App Catalog compared to Apple's app store, but I haven't felt that pain too much yet.

All in all, i think it's a great device that will keep me company on the couch or in bed before I go to sleep. I'm satisfied with my purchase... although I'm not sure I would be if it were still a $399 device. I'm interested in the future of WebOS, especially with the buzz this device has gotten over the last week.

Only idiot people don't realize that WebOS is the BEST mobile OS in market. Unfortunately, it come with POORER hardware.

Hey... I still have Palm Pre and running for over 2 years already. I still enjoy the friendly texting, email and web via multi-task in best way than iPhone would does. Heck fastest switch you ever seen.

I'm disappointment that HP didn't spend to create a better hardware and decide to give up. Big LOSS of $1.2 billion purchase from Palm. Not wise...

hmm

Very awful battery life like 4-6 hours with data enable unlike iOS. :keke:

What gives? If HP exits the PC business, what is HP going to do next? Are they going to become a electronics company like sell HDTVs, Blu ray players, sound systems, etc?

What gives? If HP exits the PC business, what is HP going to do next? Are they going to become a electronics company like sell HDTVs, Blu ray players, sound systems, etc?

I heard they want to focus more on software than hardware... I don't know if that's true but that's what I've heard...

Back