How to Decide on Cochlear Implant Surgery for Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I say accessible I mean from a receptive standpoint when communicating. Nothing about where and how much it is being provided.

As great a concern are those instances in which availabilty is not an issue, and still the choice is made to use the langauge with the least accessability. With the number of transfers happening at your school, I'm sure you see this situation more often that the one in which ASL was not used because it was not available. If the child transfers to a school for the deaf later in their educational career because the mainstream and oral education has failed them, it is a situation where the option to use ASL was available, but not taken advantage of. I know I see this situation more often than the other one related to availability. Too often, it is simply a matter of not taking advantage of what is available until the child has fallen behind academically, developmentally, and socially.

FJ,

This is yet another of Jillio's claims that uncited research proves her point and numerous refusals to provide the cited research despite numerous requests to do so. Its the same tiresome game she plays and now how cohorts have joined to further the attack on the person who dares to pull the curtain on this "wizard".

In any event, I will try to find it for you but Marschack has previously written that if he had a deaf child, he would implant the child as early as possible and then provide that child with ASL as the primary language. Seems to be very similar to what you have done for Miss Kat.

The bottomline is I do not need a study to confirm what I have witnessed over the past two decades plus. Anyone in this day and age who is still trying to argue that cochlear implants do not provide benefits and that these kids are not acquiring spoken language skills is either lying or promoting an anti-ci agenda and most likely perhaps both.

A study pales in comparison to the opportunity to observe firsthand children with cochlear implants and what impact, if any, it has made upon their lives.

The research has been cited numerous times. The choice has been made not to take advantage of that research because it, in effect, does not support the oral viewpoint.

I see your modus operandi has not changed in the least. Still partial to the ad hominem attacks and personal insults when you have nothing substantial to add. What exactly is it with you oralists that make you so fearful of the evidence that discounts your perspective?

Again both the lies and the obsession with my child. Not only have I never made such claims but, on the contrary, have stated that my daughter is in fact, a tremendous lipreader and that we can carry on conversations with her without her implant. I have also stated numerous times what accommodations she received throughout her schooling: Teacher of the Deaf, notetaker etc. The closest you came to the truth is your last made up lie. My daughter can indeed communicate orally easily with those she encounters on a daily basis but that is because of her implant and her lipreading skills.

You are some piece of work. The fact that you continually need to make up these baseless stories just demonstrates how little you really know about cochlear implanted kids. Why are you so threatened by successfully implanted children?

You never stated that your daughter was fully mainstreamed without accommodation the entire time she was in school, and that speech therapy was the only accommodation you provided outside the educational environment? Sure you didn't.

And, you have stated it again in this thread alone. The only assistance she needs is her implant.

And, please, tell it all. Oral TOD for preschool. Mainstreamed k-12 fully. Notetaker for college. Or did you mispeak when you stated that your daughter was fully mainstreamed without the need for any accommodations in the classroom except her CI?

No matter how much research you do, either side can't deny the success and failure stories. It seems that each of our perceptions is going to be related to our individual experiences. It doesn't mean that we are right or wrong, it just means we have different experiences. That's all. Live and let live people.

No one is denying successes or failures on either side. It is about realistic portrayal of the successes and failures, and using the research that has been done in such a way that it can be generalized to the greater population.

Putting down deaf people without implants.. And Rick48 wonders we are so hostile to him?

He said based on his experience and the impression he got from the implant community. I don't see it as his intention to put down deaf people without implants. Just what he observed. Unwind that spincter down there.

He said based on his experience and the impression he got from the implant community. I don't see it as his intention to put down deaf people without implants. Just what he observed. Unwind that spincter down there.

Based on my experience and impressions, you are into some serious mental trouble, but hey, it's just an observation. No intentions to put you down. :)

Based on my experience and impressions, you are into some serious mental trouble, but hey, it's just an observation. No intentions to put you down. :)

Unwind. Breathe. Relax. Chill. Have a beer or two.

Hopefully it will be a positive experience if he chooses to pursue it. We will support him either way.

Yes it will be a positive experience because he made a choice of his own. I remember your boy did ask for it a while ago. did you get him to have a speech therapy yet?

Yes it will be a positive experience because he made a choice of his own. I remember your boy did ask for it a while ago. did you get him to have a speech therapy yet?

Exactly. Even if he decides later on that he doesn't want to put the time and effort into it...it will still be a positive experience because he is doing it by choice.

Putting down deaf people without implants.. And Rick48 wonders we are so hostile to him?

So my orginal interpretation was right on spot.

As great a concern are those instances in which availabilty is not an issue, and still the choice is made to use the langauge with the least accessability. With the number of transfers happening at your school, I'm sure you see this situation more often that the one in which ASL was not used because it was not available. If the child transfers to a school for the deaf later in their educational career because the mainstream and oral education has failed them, it is a situation where the option to use ASL was available, but not taken advantage of. I know I see this situation more often than the other one related to availability. Too often, it is simply a matter of not taking advantage of what is available until the child has fallen behind academically, developmentally, and socially.

I cant believe that there are people who accept this. Cant believe it at all. Awful.

As far as I think CI is bit too much for a kid to handle as some precautions need to be taken. But for an adult I think it is one of the quite nice way to minimize the effect of deafness.

But, I strongly recommend to take suggestion from audiologists/doctors before going for a CI.

Regards

As far as I think CI is bit too much for a kid to handle as some precautions need to be taken. But for an adult I think it is one of the quite nice way to minimize the effect of deafness.

But, I strongly recommend to take suggestion from audiologists/doctors before going for a CI.

Regards
they will almost always opt for the pathalogical solution. I don't think that would be the best advice for everyone.

Too often, it is simply a matter of not taking advantage of what is available until the child has fallen behind academically, developmentally, and socially.

I see both ASL proponents and AVT proponents emphasizing the urgency of early educational intervention -- a call to get either early access to ASL or early access to spoken language to our children quickly. And I agree on the urgency, just not on doing one at the expense of the other if it is reasonably possible for parents and schools to develop a child's abilities in both languages. It's not ideal for everyone, but in our case, a bi-bi learning environment with auditory access makes it possible for Li-Li to develop and balance both languages.

I cant believe that there are people who accept this. Cant believe it at all. Awful.

I know. Like you, I see it daily, and still can't believe it. Just hard to wrap your mind around.

I see both ASL proponents and AVT proponents emphasizing the urgency of early educational intervention -- a call to get either early access to ASL or early access to spoken language to our children quickly. And I agree on the urgency, just not on doing one at the expense of the other if it is reasonably possible for parents and schools to develop a child's abilities in both languages. It's not ideal for everyone, but in our case, a bi-bi learning environment with auditory access makes it possible for Li-Li to develop and balance both languages.

I have no problem with a bi-bi learning environment with whatever auditory access can be achieved. In fact, it is exactly what I have spent over 20 years advocating for.:cool2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back