Houston's fattest city #1 again

Lasza

Premium Lurker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Houston Tops Magazine's Fat Cities List -- Again

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Houston tops a U.S. magazine's annual fattest cities list for the fourth time in five years, with four other Texas cities waddling into the top 25.

Fast food restaurants -- Houston has twice the national per capita average -- are partly to blame for the dishonor, Men's Fitness editor-in-chief Neal Boulton said.

"Americans ... work long hours, don't take vacations, and when you're faced with the worst nutritional choices, you indulge in those," he said.

High humidity, poor air quality and some of the nation's longest commute times also helped Texas' most populous city unseat Detroit, the 2004 heavyweight champion, the magazine said.

Houston Mayor Bill White, who has worked with a major grocer to promote healthy food and the city's public schools superintendent to improve lunch menus, called the survey "mostly voodoo and fraud."

"On the other hand, it calls attention to real issues the mayor is trying to address," his spokesman, Frank Michel, said.

The magazine said it looked at factors such as the number and types of restaurants, park space, air quality, weather and the number of health clubs.

Philadelphia, Detroit, Memphis, Tennessee, and Chicago followed Houston on the seventh edition of the fat list. Texas cities Dallas, San Antonio, Fort Worth and El Paso were in the top 14, which Boulton said was no surprise.

More details, here is the link.

:shock: Denver is named one of the fittiest city? I don't think so... Now I gotta exercise! :lol:

Houston

Yes, I'm afraid you got that right - Houston's being the fattest city again on the list. I'm sure that city will trim down eventually - maybe won't have to end up on the "fat" list next year! :fingersx:

Magatsu said:
I created this topic in Current News forum a while ago: http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=13299

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised about Houston and other cities in Texas.

Well, Myself not really lurking AD often. sorry for repost.

I dont blame on Texans. Myself, I used be fatty gurl on and off for many years till moved here in Colorado. My weight seem under the control not rapidly like I did in Texas. Thanks, Gawd! Most of my family in Houston area, they are struggling with weight.

Portland, Ore is ranked No. 6. :D

Hardly surprising - we have year round outdoor activities here, healthy food resturants (we have so many Asian fusion resturants) and have more parks than any other city in US.

Whenever I visit Texas or Midwest, I never fail to get amazed at how many overweight people are there. Last May while staying in Indianapolis, Indiana for a week, I had to drive MILES to find a grocery store with a wide variety of fruits/veggies. I drove all over the city one morning to find a decent coffee place and found none so ended up at 7 Eleven.

Lasza said:
Well, Myself not really lurking AD often. sorry for repost.

I dont blame on Texans. Myself, I used be fatty gurl on and off for many years till moved here in Colorado. My weight seem under the control not rapidly like I did in Texas. Thanks, Gawd! Most of my family in Houston area, they are struggling with weight.
I just want to let you know that I created a topic. As you can see that I didn't say anything about repost. I really don't care about repost topics so I am glad that you brought it up again ;)

To my understanding that fast foods and lack of exercise are not only source of this problem. Environment is possibly the one of problems in Texas. You know how environment condition is in Texas...

Back