Hmmmmmmm...thoughts on Missippi School for the Deaf

deafdyke

Reaction score
I was on the Missippi School for the Deaf website the other day
I know one big reason why parents mainstream their kids is b/c they think that deaf schools aren't challenging enough. But look at this MS School for the Deaf
According to the Mississippi Department of Education, only 8% of all deaf and hard of hearing students in the state of Mississippi pass their SATP's while 50% of students at the Mississippi School for the Deaf pass theirs. Furthermore, students who attended the Early Childhood Education have 90% to 100% chance of passing these tests and advancing to a college of their choice.
Makes you think!

I have the 2008 stats like these about the other deaf schools somewhere stashed but CANT find them! :mad:

I was on the Missippi School for the Deaf website the other day
I know one big reason why parents mainstream their kids is b/c they think that deaf schools aren't challenging enough. But look at this MS School for the Deaf

Makes you think!

Nice! (Not for the kids who didn't pass, but LOVE seeing the MS school for the deaf kids nail it and a great argument for early childhood educ.)

Actually Grendel, I am wondering if maybe the high acheivements that you and faire joure are seeing are due to the fact that the students started out in Deaf Schools and or got the appropreate early intervention. Like say dhh kids who are in inclusive settings or general early intervention preschools (ie headstart), like the ones who don't have access to Deaf Schools or programs may not be doing as well, b/c they are not getting dhh specialized ed services. Also, not to be a downer or anything, but just b/c a kid is doing well early on, it does not predict future acheivement. It's very common for dhh kids (of all stripes) to do well early on in the mainstream, and then start struggling around fourth grade. Not to mention middle and high school. I DO think that with the revamping and improvements that Deaf Schools are making (ie being hoh/CI friendly) that we may see some sucessful mainstreamers heading back to the Deaf Schools. I mean, although some hearing/mainstream schools are really good at giving accomondations, it can be HELL trying to get good or decent accomondations from other ones. ...heck most of the time, those of us who are dhh or otherwise classicly disabled get lumped in with the Resource Room kids. Not to mention that there can be severe bullying in mainstream schools.
I know too that in states with really bad mainstream special ed, the Deaf Schools tend to be really good. .....I also think many hearing parents may be under the impression that Deaf Schools/programs are worse then they actually are.....like they're still something out of the 40s or 50's.
Also, it does seem like mainstreaming is very polictical. Like the admin will grudgingly accept the special ed studets, b/c they bring extra money! But, try to get more then minimal accomondations (especially at a school that may not have a formal dhh or other specialized program) and they scream and fight.

Actually Grendel, I am wondering if maybe the high acheivements that you and faire joure are seeing are due to the fact that the students started out in Deaf Schools and or got the appropreate early intervention. Like say dhh kids who are in inclusive settings or general early intervention preschools (ie headstart), like the ones who don't have access to Deaf Schools or programs may not be doing as well, b/c they are not getting dhh specialized ed services.

Yes, DD, I do think the early intervention program was key! Less than a month after returning to the US with Li, we had a signing SLP assigned by the state -- well before an official diagnosis of deafness, just what they usually do for any child adopted from another country with an expected language delay. And she's still with Li today almost 4 years later, she now works for the School! In addition, TLC has amazing parent infant program for the deaf that we got into right off the bat -- run by a Deaf director and Deaf staff, all ASL, with interpreters for new faces and family. A brilliant program.

What would really jumpstart kids, though: childcare programs with ASL integrated.

Yes, Grendel, you're super lucky. Do you think that TLC also provided decent speech therapy too? I do think that the kids who may not have been able to take advantage of Deaf School based resources are the ones who are falling through the cracks. Unfortunatly directing parents to particualr resources isn't standardized. Like one social worker would direct one parent of a dhh kid to a Headstart type of program, or a program that was more general disabilty or with a speech therapist who knows some sign rather then an established sizable Dhh program or school)
And I am SO glad you're keeping Li Li in the program for a bit longer. I really do think that Deaf Schools are going to become a lot more hoh friendly.

Back