Help with VRS please

OpheliaSpeaks

Reaction score
Sorenson came over to hook up the video phone for me and discovered that our internet connection is not fast enough for the video phone to work properly. The interpreter is unable to see me clearly to understand what I'm signing.

Sorenson said to switch to Verizon to get a faster connection (through DSL). The experience was awful. It took a week and a half of trouble-shooting, and in the end, they could not get the DSL line to work. It was too much of a headache, so I canceled the service and kept the old internet connection.

The problem is that I have not been able to use my video phone, which is really inconvenient. The internet company we have has said that they do not offer a faster connection and the local cable company does not offer service here. Any suggestions? Other VRS services I can try or do I need to suck it up and try Verizon again?

:ty:

Do you have cable tv at home? What company name of it?

Satellite is not recommended, it is because of the process that requires though the satellite system is much slower than down on earth. You see, Satellite itself have to take extremely huge amount of informations from all over the United States and other territories/countries, then have to process the information to sort the "Packets", then sent out . Tthat is why on VP you would notice 5 seconds delay, and most of the TV though Satellite has 5 minutes delay. That is why VP that requires real time transmission will not work with Satellite.

I had to re-read few times, now got it... the DSL may be the only option for you also it is possible that there is signal strenth loss due to distance and need to confirm. Regular DSL (Not lite) or higher should work. If you choose lite, then you will not get enough speed required for VP. I do not see any other options based my past experience.

The local cable provider does not offer service in the apartment complex. It sounds like Verizon is the only option through DSL.

Thank you for the information about the satellite.

The local cable provider does not offer service in the apartment complex. It sounds like Verizon is the only option through DSL.

Thank you for the information about the satellite.

I think that you better move to apartment complex which including cable tv service.

Sorenson came over to hook up the video phone for me and discovered that our internet connection is not fast enough for the video phone to work properly. ... and try Verizon again?

you didnt say what internet service you have now? soresnon 200vp work fine at both 128k

try verizon again

If your download/upload speed is at 256K or faster, you will get a clear quality picture.

If your upload speed is below at 256K, you will need to contact Verizon to increase its speed.

Or get Verizon Fios (if it is availability in your area).

do u try att? I use att high speed internet direct basic. it is 768 Kbps downstream and 384 Kbps upstream and is good enough even Sorenson installer disagree it. it also cost $20 a month

Thanks everyone. The internet I have now is called "Rocket Broadband" it is through satellite. What happens is it will start off with a strong connection and slowly die.

I sent a message to my landlord asking about cable service, but it looks like Verizon may be the only way to get it to work.

I didn't know ATT had internet service?

Thanks everyone. The internet I have now is called "Rocket Broadband" it is through satellite. What happens is it will start off with a strong connection and slowly die.

I sent a message to my landlord asking about cable service, but it looks like Verizon may be the only way to get it to work.

I didn't know ATT had internet service?

I think that your city of Buffalo does not have AT&T phone service.

You try to check speedtest how to get upload and download speeds.

Speakeasy Speed Test

Select one city to begin test.

Here are the results:

Download Speed: 976 kbps (122 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 37 kbps (4.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

That's pretty slow. I just don't want to deal with Verizon, so I was hoping maybe someone had another suggestion. Guess I'll have to suck it up!

Here are the results:

That's pretty slow. I just don't want to deal with Verizon, so I was hoping maybe someone had another suggestion. Guess I'll have to suck it up!
Your upload is VERY Critical and that;s murderuous....

That's why the problem with interpreter seeing me...Guess I will need to change internet to use VRS. Thanks guys :)

Here are the results:

Upload speed is worse. require 256 kbps upload. You should contact Verizon internet support to fix updated upload speed.

Soresnon 200vp work fine 128k both way

No. If your modem speeds at 256K in both upload/download, yes. If your modem is very slow, u need to call your cable/DSL to increase the speed.

Here are the results:

Your upload speed is so bad. You need to contact your cable provider to increase its speed. 37 kbps... no way. 256 kbps or better.. yes

Back