Help Translating English Grammar to ASL Grammar please?

Tabbybee73

Reaction score
Hello!

I’m quite new here, and this site seems so wonderful. =)

I’ve just taken my very first ASL class, and hope to take more in the future when I transfer to CSU Monterey Bay. However, I’m having a majorly difficult time with ASL grammar. I always seem to get something wrong.

I have a project that’s due at the end of the semester; a two-three minute signed biography. I chose Bob Hiltermann, because he seemed very interesting, and his profession is similar to mine.

My question is; Could I possibly ask for some help translating all this to ASL grammar? While my teacher is very helpful, she doesn’t always provide straight answers, and I’ve consistently gone back to her for help, only to come away more confused than before.

All I need is this translated to ASL grammar, which is the hardest part for me. Learning the signs and memorizing my speech isn’t the hard part. Grammar has always tripped me up no matter what language I’m learning (I’ve taken two years of French as well).

Any help would be very, very greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! =)

Hello, my name is ------. Today, I am going to tell you about Bob Hiltermann.

Bob Hiltermann is a multi-talented musician, actor and director.

He was born deaf in Wiesbaden, Germany August 1, 1952 to a family with eleven children.

He moved to Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

His family’s classical music influenced him greatly in his career choice.

He attended hearing schools as a young student.

He had trouble with school because of his deafness.

After he graduated high school, he attended Gallaudet University.

He is a founder of Deaf West Theater in North Hollywood California.

He stars in many of their productions and has directed stage plays.

He has been in shows and movies like All My Children, and Cold Case.

He is the drummer for a Deaf Band called “Beethoven's Nightmare.”

He is a very skilled drummer.

Bob is a teacher of American Sign Language in Mission Hills California.

He was in the movies - “Children of a Lesser God” and “Through Deaf Eyes."

Bob now lives in Los Angeles with his wife and two children.

Thank you for your attention.

Well the plm is asl grammar is not a grammar that everybody uses in order to sign, and if made into habit you might as well sign exact English. The key is to use what helps u remember facts, and tell the story. Otherwise you will be setting yourself up to be as good as what u put down in writing.

Wirelessly posted

What do you have so far in ASL version that we can take a peek at? Were not going to do your homework for you though. Try and we'll give you feedback.

My teacher has told us we have to put it in ‘proper ASL Grammar,’ as she says.
All righty; I have the sort of translated version on paper, but it doesn’t have as many details, because at the time I wrote it, I hadn’t found aslpro.com, which is super helpful. I’ll post it tonight once I get it out. Thanks though, for taking a peek at it. I really appreciate it! =D

So here’s what I have so far. I know my grammar is absolutely horrible at times. Just when I think I’ve got it, someone looks over my shoulder and goes ‘Grammar. You’re doing it wrong. I think you’re making up your own rules at this point.’ Heh, so I’m never sure which way to go when translating to ASL grammar.

Also, keep in mind that I’m trying to simplify it as much as possible. It’s nerve racking being up in front of people and trying to remember your signs. All alone. I never had trouble with speeches, but this is a whole other ball game for me. The class is super nice, and they’re always willing to help and always very, very encouraging (it’s the most encouraging class I’ve ever been in, come to think of it) Normally, the class will help when you get stuck, but I don’t think they could help me this time. So it’s all really as simplified for me as possible. I think this would be about two minutes, considering I know there will be many pauses as I try to remember the correct sign for each of my words.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much, guys. <3

Hello. My name T-a-b-i-t-h-a. Today I-tell-you about B-o-b H-i-l-t-e-r-m-a-n-n.

Bob actor, musician, director.

He was born deaf in Wiesbaden, Germany August 1, 1952 to a family with eleven children.
1952 he born deaf. He born Germany.

He from Canada.

Don't know how to translate.

He go there school for hearing.

He graduate high school. he go there university G-a-l-l-a-u-d-e-t.

I watch B-o-b there act tv on A-l-l- M-y C-h-i-l-d-r-e-n.

He plays drums he. Band called B-e-e-t-h-o-v-e-n-s N-i-g-h-t-m-a-r-e.

He skilled drummer he.

He teach ASL school there M-i-s-s-i-o-n H-i-l-l-s CA.

He direct movie he. Movie called ‘Through Deaf Eyes.’
(Note: Not sure how to say he acted in the movies as well)

B-o-b, wife, two children live there LA.

Thank you.

Does ASL grammar rules stipulate starting with the noun and then modifying it? Maybe I'm wrong (very new to it myself).

Example: He went to the store. Store he go.

My teacher has told us we have to put it in ‘proper ASL Grammar,’ as she says.
All righty; I have the sort of translated version on paper, but it doesn’t have as many details, because at the time I wrote it, I hadn’t found aslpro.com, which is super helpful. I’ll post it tonight once I get it out. Thanks though, for taking a peek at it. I really appreciate it! =D

did you study ASL grammar? if you know the basics of ASL grammar, then translating will get easier.

did you study ASL grammar? if you know the basics of ASL grammar, then translating will get easier.

Yes, we sort of did. We have one class a week, and basically, all we learn is new vocabulary, then short dialogues between people, but we don't really go into depth about grammar, even though it's a huge part of the class. She's not entirely helpful because she just shakes her head and goes, 'no, no, you can’t put it like that. You have to try again.' But she never tells me what exactly I'm doing wrong. The book explains things, but it's difficult for me to understand even if I go over it again and again. And when I do try to translate, I think I’m doing it right most of the time, and refer to the book, but am then told by the teacher that it’s wrong. (I've been working on this for about five weeks now, but one class a week isn't very helpful because it just means I have to re-try and come back the next week and not know if I'm right)

I can’t email my teacher either because she never checks her email (I’ve emailed her three or four times, never received a response, and was told in class that she doesn’t check the email). It’s a bit frustrating, actually. A friend and I took the class together, so we help each other out, but since ASL isn’t really well known at the school (Very few people even take the class) there’s no tutors or any help we can get besides our teacher. There was one tutor at the beginning of the semester, but she’s disappeared, and no one has any idea where she went.

Thanks, Sally! That's super helpful,

Just a quick question; am I on the right track with my translations so far, or should any of them be changed?

It looks like you're not starting with the object. Generally, its TIME OBJECT SUBJECT VERB. You need to go around talking for Yoda for a while until you get the hang of it.

It looks like you're not starting with the object. Generally, its TIME OBJECT SUBJECT VERB. You need to go around talking for Yoda for a while until you get the hang of it.

Seem okay but have not read entire interpretation. 'He' come first, correct?

I learned ASL at the deaf center and my teacher said that different ways were acceptable. I think the OP needs a more academic opinion than mine. Anyone?

This how I translate sentences that you stuck on.

Hello. My name T-a-b-i-t-h-a. {Today <-- not say?} [Now] I-tell-you about B-o-b H-i-l-t-e-r-m-a-n-n.

Bob actor, musician, director.

1952 he born deaf. He born Germany.

He {from <--- not say?} [live] Canada.

[Him family musican understand musican work same him]

He go there school for hearing.

[He deaf learn not+easy him]

He graduate high school. he go there university G-a-l-l-a-u-d-e-t.

[He begin D-E-A-F-W-E-S-T-T-H-E-A-T-R-E Hollywood]

[He actor amazing he manager many movie(?)]

I watch B-o-b there act tv on A-l-l- M-y C-h-i-l-d-r-e-n.

He plays drums he. Band {called <--- mean phone me or calling me} [Name] B-e-e-t-h-o-v-e-n-s N-i-g-h-t-m-a-r-e.

He skilled drummer he.

He teach ASL {school there <--- not needed?} M-i-s-s-i-o-n H-i-l-l-s CA.

He direct movie he. Movie called ‘Through Deaf Eyes.’
(Note: Not sure how to say he acted in the movies as well) [Him show+up many movie "Children of a Lesser God" "Through Deaf Eyes"]

B-o-b, wife, two children [now] live {there <--- not needed?} LA.

EDIT: put *my* words in ---> [ ]
Put words I would delete in ---> { }

You use 'there' a lot but do not think needed because would be assumed this what you mean. Could be wrong just seem odd and out of place for me when read that.

Thank you very, very much, both of you! =D That was super helpful! I'm going to bring this to my teacher on Tuesday for the final rundown and make sure she's accepting of it. Seriously though, thank you SO much. I really appreciate the help. =)

When we write, my teacher wants us to use the more proper, but less used way of phrasing things (as she says) such as 'I hungry I,' or 'I sad I.' With 'I' at both ends of the sentence. This can get confusing since we don't always remember the 'I' at the end, but she usually accepts when we translate and give our dialogue speeches with the shortened versions or the less proper, but still accetable way of phrasing things.

She can be a bit confusing at times, but overall, she's a very good teacher. And I find that, in this class, I have a fairly easy time learning. I was amazed that after the first week, I could actually remember all my vocabulary and sentences. Of course, the vocab got a bit harder and more difficult to remember, but overall, I'm really enjoying this class. =)

Thank you very, very much, both of you! =D That was super helpful! I'm going to bring this to my teacher on Tuesday for the final rundown and make sure she's accepting of it. Seriously though, thank you SO much. I really appreciate the help. =)

When we write, my teacher wants us to use the more proper, but less used way of phrasing things (as she says) such as 'I hungry I,' or 'I sad I.' With 'I' at both ends of the sentence. This can get confusing since we don't always remember the 'I' at the end, but she usually accepts when we translate and give our dialogue speeches with the shortened versions or the less proper, but still accetable way of phrasing things.

She can be a bit confusing at times, but overall, she's a very good teacher. And I find that, in this class, I have a fairly easy time learning. I was amazed that after the first week, I could actually remember all my vocabulary and sentences. Of course, the vocab got a bit harder and more difficult to remember, but overall, I'm really enjoying this class. =)

Suppose classroom different from reality with Deaf.

Would never say I hungry I. Would just say hungry me and maybe add 'now' depending on *how* hungry.:giggle:

Hearies who interpret ASL tend to add too many word because in 'English' you have many useless word. English *think* need say this word or that but forget just need close eyes, and imagine situation, imagine how do describe. Just saying. :giggle:

Translation

HI, ME NAME ----. TODAY ME TELL YOU ABOUT MAN, NAME, B-O-B…..
HE (CL B) DO A LOT. MUSICIAN, ACTOR, DIRECTOR.
BORN DEAF. WHERE? GERMANY, TOWN NAME, WHAT? W-I-E-S-B-A-D-E-N. WHEN? AUG 1, 1952. HE (CLB) HAVE A LOT BROTHERS, SISTERS. HOW MANY? 11 TOTAL.
GREW UP GERMANY. MOVE A LOT. WHERE? C-A-L-G-A-R-Y, A-L-B-E-R-T-A, CANADA.
HE FAMILY LOVE OLD MUSIC C-L-A-S-S-I-C-A-L. INFLUENCE HIS WORK.
GROW UP. GO SCHOOL HEARING.
SCHOOL HARD. WHY? BECAUSE DEAF.
GRADUATE HS. GO GALLAUDET UNIVERSITY.
HE START DEAF WEST THEATER. WHERE? NORTH HOLLYWOOD CA.
FOR THAT CO HE ACTOR AND DIRECTOR. FOR WHAT? PLAYS
YOU MAYBE SEE BEFORE ON TV. IN MOVIES ALL MY CHILDREN AND C-O-L-D C-A-S-E.
HE DRUMMER FOR DEAF BAND NAME, “B-E-E-T-H-V-E-N-S N-I-G-H-T-M-A-R-E.”
HE TALENTED DRUMMER.
B-O-B TEACHER ASL. WHERE? M-I-S-S-I-O-N H-I-L-L-S CA.
YOU SEE B-O-B IN MOVIE? NAME, “C-H-I-L-D-R-E-N O-F A L-E-S-S-E-R G-O-D” AND T-H-R-O-U-G-H D-E-A-F E-Y-E-S?”
NOW B-O-B LIVE WHERE? LA WITH WIFE 2 KIDS.

I don't usually do this ... both because it's a lot of work trying to re-work English into ASL (especially, and don't take this the wrong way, the English written in the highly condensed/minimalist way most/all new ASL students write in), and because if I do your homework - you don't really learn as much as you could/should.

There's a good book called http://www.amazon.com/American-Sign-Language-Easy-Way/dp/0764134280/ which gives some good examples of ASL which I'd recommend getting, or seeing if the library has it so you can at least take a good look at it.

As for your assignment. Here's ONE way that you could do it. Keep in mind that just like English speaking and writing styles vary from one place to another - and one situation to another (casual, educational, formal etc) so does Signed Languages such as ASL.

HELLO, MY NAME __________. NOW, I EXPLAIN ABOUT MAN his NAME B-O-B H-I-L-T-E-R-M-A-N-N

BOB, HE WORK DO WHAT? MUSICIAN, ACTOR, DIRECT MOVIES - MANY THINGS!

BOB, BORN FINISH AUGUST 1, 1952. WHERE? CITY NAME W-I-E-S-B-A-D-E-N. COUNTRY, GERMANY. BOB HAVE LARGE FAMILY, HAVE 11 BROTHERS, SISTERS. WOW!

BOB FINISH GERMANY, MOVE-to CANADA. WHERE? CALGARY ALBERTA.

BOB, his-FAMILY ENJOY, LOVE MUSIC, KIND C-L-A-S-S-I-C-A-L, BOB same-as. BOB GROW-UP, DECIDE, CHOOSE TYPE-of WORK WHY? BOB Fall-in-love WITH MUSIC!

BOB ATTEND FINISH SCHOOL HEARING.

ATTEND HEARING SCHOOL BOB HAVE TROUBLE. WHY? BOB only-one DEAF, others-all HEARING. HAVE PROBLEMS UNDERSTAND, COMMUNICATION. List, list, list (gesture going down a list)

BOB HS, FINISH, GRADUATE. THEN ATTEND GALLAUDENT (fingerspell, then use NS)

BOB, START, SET-UP THEATRE, NAME “DEAF WEST” . WHERE? NORTH H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D, CALIFORNIA.

BOB, (1) LEAD ACTOR MANY DIFFERENT PLAYS AND (2) he DIRECTOR STAGE PLAYS MANY – (1,2) BOTH.

BOB ALSO WORK, ACTOR WHERE? TV S-E-R-I-E-S: NAME list “A-L-L M-Y- C-H-I-L-D-R-E-N, (next line of list) “C-O-L-D C-A-S-E” AND MOVIES NAME “C-H-I-L-D-R-E-N O-F A L-E-S-S-E-R G-O-D” AND “T-H-R-O-U-G-H- D-E-A-F E-Y-E-S” BOB, FAMOUS DEAF ACTOR, TRUE!

KNOW DEAF BAND NAME “B-E-E-T-O-V-E-N’S N-I-G-H-T-M-A-R-E”? BOB DRUMMER FOR BAND that-one!

DRUMMER – SKILL, TALENT, WOW!

BOB, he TEACH ASL COURSE, WHERE? AREA NAME M-I-S-S-I-O-N H-I-L-L-S CALIFORNIA .

BOB MOVE, CANADA FINISH, MOVE WHERE? USA, LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA. NOW he-HAVE WIFE AND CHILDREN TWO.

MY STORY EXPLAIN FINISH WHO MAN "B-O-B H-I-L-T-E-R-M-A-N-N" WHO.

THANK-YOU

Back