Hello - cochlear implant january, 2017

Janice Garner

Reaction score
i wish I had kept my hearing aid, this implant is driving me nuts. I now suffer from "musical ear syndrome" (Google it) and the tinnitus is horrible. I can't hear on my cell phone or the radio now. I am seriously considering having it removed. This has been a complete nightmare.

Welcome :wave:

I don't have a CI and use hearing aids. I have musical tinnitus as well as "normal" tinnitus and occasional explosive tinnitus.

I hadn't heard of CI causing tinnitus but after googling it I found an article about it:

http://www.hearingreview.com/2013/02/musical-tinnitus-after-cochlear-implantation/

For me, sometimes masking sounds help but it is only temporary. The explosive tinnitus was the most worrying until I realized what it was and that tree had not actually fallen on the house.

You might want to do some research to find others who experienced it after CI and had it removed. Did it stop or was the condition permanent?

Thank you for the reply, I read the article. I guess I will just have to learn to deal with it. I just drank half of my coffee. The explosive tinnitus is just starting again. Maybe I need to try decaf, before giving up my morning drink.
Thank you,
Janice

I don't have a CI (getting one at the end of this month)

I have musical tinnitus! It sounds like wind chimes. I also have the regular kind of tinnitus and exploding head syndrome.

I actually like the wind chime sound. I don't like the other ones.

Please do more research on the CI. I wish I had my hearing aid back. Music will never be the same again. The CI can never replace what those little hairs in our ears do. There are newer and better hearing aids coming. It's a long and gruesome process getting the benefits from the CI. Unless you are totall unable to use a hearing aid, approach this procedure with caution. My two hour surgery took three hours. I never knew that bacterial meningitis was suspected to be the cause of my hearing loss, until the surgeon was doing the implant. I picked the oldest company's processor, turns out if I had picked a different manufacturer, it would not have fit, due to the bone regrowth. It's been a total nightmare, I have endured depression, rage and a lot of anger, since the surgery. Good luck.

I don't feel bad for people who knew about ci risks and went ahead implant ci and then suffered from it afterwards. Will your insurance pay to remove your ci?

I don't feel bad for people who knew about ci risks and went ahead implant ci and then suffered from it afterwards. Will your insurance pay to remove your ci?

I wonder about that. There is someone here who just has his removed but he had his for years. If I recall I think insurance did pay for it. I would think the 'wonderful' insurance company will want absolute proof that the CI is causing serious medical issues.

Back